Overclocking AMD Athlon XP and Geforce 5900

Conor026

May 20, 2003
I have an AMD Athlon XP 3000+ on a Gigabyte GA-7VAXP Ultra with 512MB PC2700.
I want to try overclock it but i have only the standard cooling,is that ok or would i have to get a better fan.
Also can you do any damage to a CPU by overclocking it.
I have an MSI GeForce 5900 Ultra,does anyone have results on what extra you can get out of it.
What is the name of the overclocking tool for the Geforce

Any relevant information please e.g. voltage setting,jumpers,extra

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
If you are going to overclock I'd suggest better cooling, I use the Vantec AeroFlow-less than 26$ to your door FedEx saver it has a very good noise/performance/price ratio and Cools my Barton at 2.4ghz very well. However, I'd suggest you search out and read Barton overclocking threads so you can get a feel for what other's use for voltage, multiplier, ect. and since you have 2700DDR you may do better with just a slight FSB increase with your memory set to 100% and changing the multiplier. To overclock that 5900Ultra all you need is coolbits it's gives you access to Nvidia's overclocking feature. You just click on it and it'll install and then when you open up the 5900Ultra tab there will be an overclocking option there. There's a auto detect feature with the newer drivers that will find good, stable overclock speeds for you so you don't have to experiment if you don't want to.

bjc112

Lifer
Dec 23, 2000
The AeroFLOW is probably the best next to the SLK-700/800/900 series...

It runs my 1700+@2.4 ghz around 47C loaded...

You will have no problem overclocking to an extent on that retail HSF, bump that mulitiplier up 1 or 2 and see where you can get...

You may need to bump your Vcore, and Vdimm as you raise in speed.