Overclocking Advice -- Vista 64 -- P5Q-E - Corsaire Dominator

Cr0nJ0b

Golden Member
Apr 13, 2004
meettomy.site
Hey all My rig is in My sig. I'm Overclocking this for the first time and I'm wondering if I need to do more testing.

I've got it up to 3.978GHz with 9 x Multi and 442FSB and VCore of 1.328V.
Memory is at 530.4MHz, 5:6, 5-5-5-15 2T, 2.2V

I've been running Orthos and Prime for 2 hours and just hit a snag on both. (I'm running them at the same time) FATAL ERROR...

Should I back down some more on the FSB or what?

I'd like to keep it near 4GHz if I can.

Any suggestions are welcome.

thanks

Cr0nJ0b

Golden Member
Apr 13, 2004
meettomy.site
I have read the sticky and the overclockers guide at ExtremeOC...

I'm not sure what is failing. The system runs fine, but Orthos and P95 give me errors about 2 hours in.

i'm thinking it's a CPU thing, so I'll likely take down the multi first...

Billb2

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2005
Originally posted by: Cr0nJ0b
I have read the sticky ...

I'm not sure what is failing.

Then you read the wrong stickie.

When you overclock you overclock one component at a time. That way you don't end up where you're at.

NesuD

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Not sure if this will pertain to your issue or not but running 4 modules of the corsair dominator DDR2 1066 @ 1066 often doesn't work well in P5Q boards. I was having lots of issues trying to do this with mine. Ramguy over in the corsair forums said when populating all 4 slots that you need to underclock the ram 1 speed grade generally to get it stable. I followed his instructions and it did stabilize my system. There were a few other tweaks he recommended as well but I thing the speed reduction was the most important. His reasoning was that these memory controllers were designed with dual module setups in mind and while they can run 4 the extra stress makes them a lot less forgiving thus the need for the relaxed settings.

imported_wired247

Golden Member
Jan 18, 2008
Originally posted by: Billb2
Originally posted by: Cr0nJ0b
I have read the sticky ...

I'm not sure what is failing.

Then you read the wrong stickie.

When you overclock you overclock one component at a time. That way you don't end up where you're at.

+1
:beer: