Overclocking A Pentium D 915

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Cheex

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2006
Well...A new day, new challenges...I'm ready to keep trying.

Any ideas on how to start off today's tests?

Cheex

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2006
An older IDE hard drive but I know how much help that will be.
What do you have in mind?

GFORCE100

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Cheex
An older IDE hard drive but I know how much help that will be.
What do you have in mind?

Get your digital camera out, take a photo of your BIOS screens, and link it here for all to see.

As you had it at 3733GHz before hitting the reset switch, it's just a case of finding the BIOS settings that allow you to do this, even when rebooting the machine.

cmrmrc

Jun 27, 2005
i was thinking switching to the ide drive to see if the problem still persist on a different drive.

Cheex

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2006
Originally posted by: cmrmrc
i was thinking switching to the ide drive to see if the problem still persist on a different drive.

Good idea but i'm not sure if i'll be able to make that switch.

The-Noid

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2005
I think it just needs more voltage to stay stable. Loosen the timings on the ram as well to 5-5-5-15 for now. Set FSB at 266 which will give you 3724. Voltage should be 1.55 at that. Give the northbridge an extra .1v from standard. And FSB/CPU termination voltage in extra .1v from standard. I f possible lock the PCIe frequency to 100 and the PCI frequency to 33.3, I do not know this bios, if not hopefully it will reset when you reach the 266 fsb. Try this and if it doesn't work please come back. The Caviar is also a hard drive that can take alot. I had my PCI-e at 130 and it didn't break :(

Cheex

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2006
Thanx for some exact guiding values.
I read somewhere else that the PCI/PCIe buses are locked on this board (not confirmed though).

I'll try this in a little bit and post my results.

Cheex

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2006
Posted but still wouldn't boot. Had to reset CMOS again. Back to 3.36GHz (240 x 14).

What next to try? (repetitive, isn't it...lol)

Cheex

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2006
I can't seem to find any other procedure to try. I can't understand why the system would fail to detect my SATA HDD.
Still, perfect boot every time at 240x14 (3.36GHz)...nothing higher yet.

Cheex

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2006
The problem seems to be that the PCI bus is being raised too far above 33MHz when i overclock.
Does anyone know how to rectify that problem on my Foxconn P965 mobo?

lyssword

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2005
Originally posted by: Cheex
The problem seems to be that the PCI bus is being raised too far above 33MHz when i overclock.
Does anyone know how to rectify that problem on my Foxconn P965 mobo?

did you try disabling every "spread spectrum" setting?

Cheex

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2006
Edit: No i haven't.

Is that what Spread Spectrum does?
I've always been concerned about that.

Cheex

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2006
Update:

All spectra have been disabled but still no-go.
Does anyone know how to determine whether or not the PCI/PCIe buses are locked?
If they aren't, how can I lock them?

Cheex

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2006
Update:
I now have the latest bios for my mobo and i'm still having those HDD detection issues. A few improvements such as cpu-z now gives me all my info including ram ratio and timings.

The detection is still hit-and-miss. I got a hit right now and i'm typing this at a speed of 3.64GHz (260x14).

But...YTF am i having a detection issue with the hard drive. This is insane. I'm getting fed up.
HELP!!!

Also please advise on voltages, whether or not they have any effect on the detection of your hardware (i don't think so but please confirm).

Cheex

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2006
Update:
By the time I rebooted, I had to go back to 240x14. The detection is still hit-and-miss.
I think I'll try what Yoxxy suggested.

Cheex

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2006
Eventually....Hopefully early in 07 or as soon as the money is tangible.

In the mean time, I still wanna squeeze all I can out of it.

Cheex

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2006
The money still isn't available for the C2D upgrade so....

I've decided to have another whack at OCing this CPU.
Was there anything left for me to try?

Cheex

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2006
An update on the OCing problem...
I decided to try using my dad's IDE hard drive with my setup and surprisingly...it worked.
The system wouldn't boot because the drive was installed on a mobo with a different chipset so it wanted me to repair...but that wasn't the essence of my test. I wanted to see if the same hit-and-miss would happen but it didn't. The system posted at 3.8GHz (272x14) with everything at stock volts. I most likely would have to raise this in order to keep it stable in Windows and under load.

Anyway...I didn't bother to take it any higher. This just proves to me that it is not a RAM problem and its not the CPU itself. It is either my SATA HDD or the SATA channels on the mobo.

So...let me know what you think is going on with this and what can be done about it.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
A cheap possible solution : disable your onboard Sata, grab a cheap Sata PCI controller for $20 or so, and see if it does better. Even if it doesn't work, I guarantee that Sata controller will come in handy for another PC :)