Overclocking a HD 2900XT

dlock13

Platinum Member
Oct 24, 2006
I need a program to overclock with. ATITools wasn't working correctly for me so I uninstalled it. I tried ATI Tray Tools and it didn't seem to want to work either. I currently have RivaTuner installed, but it is honestly the worst out of all three.

I need something that works with my 2900XT on my Vista-32 computer.

Thank you!

hclarkjr

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
not sure why those programs would not work for you then, did you try posting on guru3d forums for tray tools? ray adams is pretty good about helping people out with his tweaker

Matt2

Diamond Member
Jul 28, 2001
RivaTuner is what I use with my 2900XT. Works beautifully.

I like RivaTuner because of the OC and fan controls and it has an extensive hardware monitoring module that you can customize to your needs.

I suggest you give RivaTuner another shot. If not, the newest Tray Tools should work fine.

dlock13

Platinum Member
Oct 24, 2006
Originally posted by: Matt2
RivaTuner is what I use with my 2900XT. Works beautifully.

I like RivaTuner because of the OC and fan controls and it has an extensive hardware monitoring module that you can customize to your needs.

I suggest you give RivaTuner another shot. If not, the newest Tray Tools should work fine.

I really don't see how it works. Do I just input numbers for the clock speeds, because the overclocking is confusing as all hell? I tried Tray Tools, and they wouldn't work. I couldn't overclock. See I have this problem where I can't OC anything, all I see in any program are the 2D Core/Mem, when I adjust them, it goes back to what it was previously at.

Every program I use has done this. I don't know what the hell is going on.

Sylvanas

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2004
Rivatuner should be fine, look at some of the guides on guru3d on how to use it first. ATI Tool doesnt work in its current form, ATI tray tools isn't properly updated for R600+Vista- you have a choice of AMD GPU tool from Techpowerup, Overdrive or Rivatuner.

dlock13

Platinum Member
Oct 24, 2006
Originally posted by: Sylvanas
Rivatuner should be fine, look at some of the guides on guru3d on how to use it first. ATI Tool doesnt work in its current form, ATI tray tools isn't properly updated for R600+Vista- you have a choice of AMD GPU tool from Techpowerup, Overdrive or Rivatuner.

What should I use to benchmark my card? I finally figured out how to use RivaTuner, and it at least changes the clock speeds and such, but I liked ATITool's ability to scan for artifacts right next to where you were clocking.

Also, how do I set it so when I'm not running a 3D App, it stays underclocked at default settings?

zeroburrito

Dec 5, 2007
run a game or have ati artifact tool running, or rthdrbl. running games would be the best benchmark possible.

Sylvanas

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2004
Originally posted by: dlock13
Originally posted by: Sylvanas

What should I use to benchmark my card? I finally figured out how to use RivaTuner, and it at least changes the clock speeds and such, but I liked ATITool's ability to scan for artifacts right next to where you were clocking.

Also, how do I set it so when I'm not running a 3D App, it stays underclocked at default settings?

Nobody really has an alternative to ATI Tools artifact scan so the best you do is run This OpenGL Fur Bench/Stability test for about 30mins and if you don't experience any artifacting/crashing you should be okay- however the BEST way to determine if your OC'd settings work is by firing up a game, preferably something like Crysis, if it crashes then clocks are too high if it doesn't your fine to keep going.

Whenever you are not using a 3D App recent ATI cards go into 2D 'Powerplay' mode which means clock frequency on core+mem go right down, as do the Vgpu/VRM/ voltage to save power and run cooler so no need to 'set' anything to do that- it does it automatically.