Overclocking a E6700

ViperMichael

May 4, 2007
What speeds could i hit if i used the standard fan with the CPU.

Then to go higher, what would you recommend for a heatsink or watercooling options. With out going over the top with the watercooling.

rhino56

Platinum Member
Oct 6, 2004
well im running mine 3.5 ghz 24/7 on my daily rig with water cooling. the chips arent very hot at stock speeds but once you start ocing them they tend to go up alot.
i would try to see how far it will go stable with the stock cooler before it crashes and as long as the temps are okay it should be fine. i wouldnt raise the vcore on it with a stock cooler though.
here is my rig
MY RIG
i know its probably more elaborate then you want to go but it may give you some ideas.

myocardia

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2003
Generally, people are running 2.8-3.0 Ghz with the stock fans, depending on how good their case ventilation happens to be.

ViperMichael

May 4, 2007
so what kind of money you taking for this kind of CPU watercooling for a good system, and what would you recommend.

What fans are good at the moment.

rhino56

Platinum Member
Oct 6, 2004
i would say go with a good air cooler unless you really want to get into water cooling. if you havent ever water cooled before work your way into it. read lots about it and learn as much as you can as far as pumps, blocks, tubing and everything you need to know is on the net.

NickelPlate

Nov 9, 2006
Never ran stock but just for reference I'm running mine at 3.3Ghz with a Zalman 9700NT. Under full load never gets much hotter than about 51°C.

jzodda

Apr 12, 2000
Start with one of Petra's WC kits, can't go wrong with his stuff imo

Its good quality stuff but not cheap