Overclocking 4850

EliteRetard

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2006
Grabbed an Asus 4850 OC edition for 80$ when the last card blew up, got it installed and working fine. I was actually a little bit leery with the OC because Ive heard these cards run hot and the cooler on this thing is just a tiny metal fan shape and doesnt cool the RAM at all (though it does a goo job of blocking the use of RAM sinks next to it). Weird thing though is that even with this puny little heatsink and like, what, a 40mm fan running at 40% it runs cooler than my 8800GTS 640MB with the massive blower and heatpipes at 80%.

Im using the included Asus software, and it has a nice basic feature to control the fan speed. I set it to increase 20% every 10c starting with 40% at 45c, 60% at 55c etc. so it stays nice n cool and quiet most of the time. I have to wonder if the temps are accurate though...seems weird to me that its so cool.

I had problems using Riva Tuner even without using any fan control it was constantly shutting the fan off on my old card (88-640). Which is part of why it died Im sure, as it would hit 120c or whatever in the middle of a game and then crap out and freeze or just go crazy with the kaleidoscope effect.

Anyway, the Asus software allows you to clock up to 710MHz core and 2.2GHz memory. I started clocking up and testing using the ATI Tool fuzzy block (but it doesnt support my card and give me any options or readings...odd) and the 3D mark test. I got all the way up to the max 710 and 2200 without issue. I really dont know if thats right. If it is, would that be dangerous for the memory with no heatsinks?

Since Riva Tuner is pretty much crap on this machine and all bugged out and ATI Tool doesnt work...is there another good safe program to use to confirm the clocks (maybe go higher core?) and temps? I like the basic but very functional fan control Asus has, so I dont want to interfere with that.

dug777

Lifer
Oct 13, 2004
Not sure what it looks like, but here's my Asus 4850:

http://pics.bbzzdd.com/users/dug777/4850above.JPG
http://pics.bbzzdd.com/users/dug777/4850installed.JPG

Can't audibly tell the difference between 20% and 100% with the case closed (ramping using CCC, GPU-Z confirms the fan is ramping), so I run it at 100% all the time.

Currently running mine at 790/1013 (I think my RAM needs some more volts, can bench at 1065 but prolonged play causes random crashing). CCC should allow you to open up to 800, if it can handle it :) My core still gets hot hot hot (loading in the low 90'C range with prolonged furmark).

Mem should be fine, IMO it probably gets hotter with the stock HSF than with a non-integrated one, or without ramsinks as with one like this, as the HSF is usually baking hot as it removes heat from the toasty little core...

EliteRetard

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2006
Yeah, that looks about like what I got...and with their software it says I can run my memory at 1100 (2.2GHz) with no voltage or heat issues. Its the memory I was mostly worried about like just exploding on me or something. What version of CCC are you using? I tried the latest and it doesnt support my card. Im thinking the memory is probably fine even at 2GHz though, I think the card is more GPU bound. Would it be safe to overclock the card all the time, or is there a way to get it to apply the overclock levels any time a game is loaded? Currently it has to be maually adjusted every time I launch a game and I forget to allot. Wish they had put RAM sinks on the card, would make me feel safer, as it is now though theres no room.