Overclock'g AMD XP2000+

InsaneClown

Jul 19, 2003
Howdy folks
I have done some research but I have let to come up with the right information. I'm hoping to get it here.
I am running

AMD XP2000+
MSIKT4V Mainboard
1 GB of ram
System is reporting 1.67GHz CPU
Windows XP Pro Op. system.

I want to overclock primarily for gaming. I play a lot of internet games that required a bit more performance. What would be the best overclock settings for the FSB, Core and all the rest? I have searched for this info. but never got all the changes that complement each other.
I did install an additional case fan, so I think I have cooling under control.

Thank you to anyone that takes the time to respond.
Insane Clown
:confused:

InsaneClown

Jul 19, 2003
Wow someone responed. My "core" looks like the one in the center. The motherboard spec's. call for a 462 pin / socket A if that helps any. If you need anymore info let me know, Looking forward to anyhelp. InSaNE Clown

ethebubbeth

Golden Member
May 2, 2003
Ugh, looks like you have a palomino. I used to run a 2000+ with the palomino core and it didn't really overclock. After about 143 fsb, it just wouldn't be stable. Hope you have better luck than me

clicknext

Banned
Mar 27, 2002
Sorry to tell you dude, but you've got a Palomino, and it won't overclock much past its current speed.

You can try raising the FSB bit by bit, but my guess is it won't overclock past 1.8ghz, if even to there. The multiplier can't be changed without connecting the L1 bridges, and it's not worth it to try, I'd say.

prvteye2003

Diamond Member
Jun 19, 2003
Originally posted by: InsaneClown
Howdy folks
I have done some research but I have let to come up with the right information. I'm hoping to get it here.
I am running

AMD XP2000+
MSIKT4V Mainboard
1 GB of ram
System is reporting 1.67GHz CPU
Windows XP Pro Op. system.

I want to overclock primarily for gaming. I play a lot of internet games that required a bit more performance. What would be the best overclock settings for the FSB, Core and all the rest? I have searched for this info. but never got all the changes that complement each other.
I did install an additional case fan, so I think I have cooling under control.

Thank you to anyone that takes the time to respond.
Insane Clown
:confused:

Your currnet set up should be fine for internet gaming. Why do you think you need better performance with internet gaming? Sounds like to me that it's your connection to the net more than your system performance. With a 2000+ and a GIG of ram, you shouldn't be having any problems. I've got a 2100+ with only 512 of ram and have no problems.

MrEgo

Jan 17, 2003
If you're having latency issues, I wouldn't recommend cable internet. I had cable for awhile and got 999 ping from 3pm to 12am in every single server. I switched to an always on ADSL and now I get below 50ms in nearly every Medal of Honor server. Hope this also helps.. if you don't have cable internet, hope this could have helped at least someone.

InsaneClown

Jul 19, 2003
Ya your most likley right, I'm not really having any problems. I have a DSL connection, so yes. I can play but like most people I want MORE
I decdeided to post my bios set up info. Just to see if that can be tweaked to improve proformence. Thanks

DKlein

Aug 29, 2002
They're right, it won't go too far. I've overclocked mine as much as I can and it's barely 100mhz higher. It's the vid card that's holding me back I think though as far as upping the freq past 142/36 or 143/36(could be wrong, but something definately won't take it). I've put it up to 141/35@12.5x and 1.872V and it's at 1764mhz right now (bout 950 up). It benches nicely and works fine, but I'd like to get more out of it.

AMD Athlon XP 2000+ (Palomino)
ASUS K7V333
Samsung DDR333 512MB RAM
NVidia GeForce3 Ti 200
Windows XP Pro

As far as internet gaming goes, my stuff works great. Unfortunately my conn. doesnt, but for most games I run the graphics pretty high without extra lag issues (above the norm - goddamn cable). Best advice: if you really want it go for a new processor, 'caus this one isn't going to go much farther.