Overclocked E8400/8500/8600@4.0Ghz vs Corei7920@4.0Ghz +58xx gaming benchmark request

Apocalypse23

Golden Member
Jul 14, 2003
I was wondering if anyone would be willing to benchmark some popular games with the following overclocked processors:

Overclocked E8400/8500/8600@4.0Ghz vs Corei7920@4.0Ghz and a 58xx series video card (5850/5870/5970)

I haven't found any links that give me direct comparison at 4 Gigahertz speeds between the two. Primarily my interest is comparing the gaming aspect of these processors. If someone could conduct such a test it would be appreciated. Now since it involves the 58xx series cards, I would request that you exactly use and post the same CCC settings also.

Please let me know if this can be done.

Thanks.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
There was some French website that tested like 100 different CPUs with OCed ones on like everything like a month or so ago, The graphs and such were all linked here in a thread that i cant find anymore

Apocalypse23

Golden Member
Jul 14, 2003
There was some French website that tested like 100 different CPUs with OCed ones on like everything like a month or so ago, The graphs and such were all linked here in a thread that i cant find anymore

Yes but they didn't show overclocked 4ghz comparisons. I'm also curious about performance specifically with the 5850/5870s with these setups.

Apocalypse23

Golden Member
Jul 14, 2003
Any particular motherboards? And what RAM timings would you like?

Any standard board will suffice, for RAM, something like DDR2 PC6400 or higher for the E8400. The Corei7 setup can be standard as well.

I've had a look at the graphs from the above link and notice the Core2Duo and the Corei7 are generally close to each other in gaming performance, the Corei7 infact although apparently smoother and faster, does consume a hell of a lot more power when compared to the E8400.

I guess a test could include games like:
Crysis Warhead
Crysis 1
Far Cry 2
Call of Duty 5
Call of Duty MW2
Battlefield Bad Company 2 --> this one will need some comparisons for sure
Dirt 2
Upcoming: Metro 2033

Ideally I would request you use Windows 7 64bit while performing tests, also note that the hard drive would have to match each system, eg: 500GB @7200RPM 32MB Cache.

Resolutions: 1920x1080/1920x1200 are the optimal resolutions I am interested in.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/radeon-hd5870-cpu-scaling.html

This is scaling with a 5870 single and crossfire.

Shows that most games don't need a i7 or x4.

has all the cpus overclocked to a max 4.1
and they didnt use games like RF Guerrilla, Anno 1404, Arma 2, Ghostbusters, GTA 4 and some others that would have an i7 beating the crap out of a Core 2 Duo.

a Core 2 Duo would look horrible with a 5970 in those type games has it likely would not even get 50% of the min framerate an I7 would.

Last edited:

dug777

Lifer
Oct 13, 2004
and they didnt use games like RF Guerrilla, Anno 1404, Arma 2, Ghostbusters, GTA 4 and some others that would have an i7 beating the crap out of a Core 2 Duo.

a Core 2 Duo would look horrible with a 5970 in those type games has it likely would not even get 50% of the min framerate an I7 would.

Do you have some helpful links to demonstrate that claim? Of course, they need to be at a sensible resolution and settings that someone would actually use a 5970 at, so ideally 2560x1600 to have any real world relevance.

I am genuinely interested :)

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Do you have some helpful links to demonstrate that claim? Of course, they need to be at a sensible resolution and settings that someone would actually use a 5970 at, so ideally 2560x1600 to have any real world relevance.

I am genuinely interested :)
well in the following benchmarks Core 2 Duo doesnt look so hot. and most of these are with way slower cards than a 5870 or 5970 which would mean an even bigger gap.

even at just 2.66 the i7 rapes the 3.33 E8600 Core 2 Duo in GTA 4 so clock for clock it would not even be close. http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,...ead-of-Core-2-Quad-in-CPU-benchmarks/Reviews/

same story here in Anno 1404. http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,...arked-in-Anno-1404-Dawn-of-Discovery/Reviews/

and here in Prototype the Core 2 Duo is not remotely close to i7 clock for clock. http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,...System-Requirements-and-Screenshots/Practice/

sorry no numbers for Ghostbusters or RF Guerrilla but they are indeed very much quad optimized and will take all the cpu power you can throw at them. I had to my cpu at 3.8 in both of those games just to help out. with a card like a 5870 or 5970 a quad is pretty much mandatory in those games if you want to actually utilize it.

dug777

Lifer
Oct 13, 2004
well in the following benchmarks Core 2 Duo doesnt look so hot. and most of these are with way slower cards than a 5870 or 5970 which would mean an even bigger gap.

even at just 2.66 the i7 rapes the 3.33 E8600 Core 2 Duo in GTA 4 so clock for clock it would not even be close. http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,...ead-of-Core-2-Quad-in-CPU-benchmarks/Reviews/

same story here in Anno 1404. http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,...arked-in-Anno-1404-Dawn-of-Discovery/Reviews/

and here in Prototype the Core 2 Duo is not remotely close to i7 clock for clock. http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,...System-Requirements-and-Screenshots/Practice/

sorry no numbers for Ghostbusters or RF Guerrilla but they are indeed very much quad optimized and will take all the cpu power you can throw at them. I had to my cpu at 3.8 in both of those games just to help out. with a card like a 5870 or 5970 a quad is pretty much mandatory in those games if you want to actually utilize it.

Very interesting, thank you :)

Apocalypse23

Golden Member
Jul 14, 2003

I am a firm believer that having an E8400/8500/8600 ocd to 4ghz speeds dramatically changes the dynamics of gameplay, and you are assuming that at overclocked speeds the performance pattern will be clock for clock as with stock speeds with the i7 and E8xxx series, I beg to differ and prefer to see some real results.

If anyone can test the 5970 or a 5870 with a E8400@4ghz+Corei7@4ghz setup running some of the games you mentioned as well as others that I have listed, it would be greatly helpful to all of us.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
I am a firm believer that having an E8400/8500/8600 ocd to 4ghz speeds dramatically changes the dynamics of gameplay, and you are assuming that at overclocked speeds the performance pattern will be clock for clock as with stock speeds with the i7 and E8xxx series, I beg to differ and prefer to see some real results.

If anyone can test the 5970 or a 5870 with a E8400@4ghz+Corei7@4ghz setup running some of the games you mentioned as well as others that I have listed, it would be greatly helpful to all of us.
you are living in a fantasyland if you think that a Core 2 Duo at 4 is going to match an i7 at 4.0 in cpu intensive games like those I listed with a 5970. as you can see in those charts the higher clocked Core 2 Duo cpus are already getting smacked around by much slower clocked i7 and i5 cpus. also notice that they keep on scaling up with speed so imagine those results with a much faster 5870 or 5970. I have my e8500 at 3.8 and I cant match the results that people get in the cpu intensive games with an i7 and thats with a mild gtx260.

they will be adding Core 2 results soon but look how bad a Phenom 2 X2 gets raped on a clock for clock basis even at 2560 with 5870 crossfire.. an i7 at 4.0 is getting TWICE the framerate of a 4.0 Phenom 2 X2. Far Cry 2 is not any where near as cpu intensive as the games I listed so no a 4.0 Core 2 Duo is not going to be close to 4.0 i7. those cpu intensive games will take all the cpu power you can give them and no dual core is going to match the i7 with a 5870 or 5970 in those games.http://www.legionhardware.com/artic...ossfire_cpu_scaling_performance_part_1,8.html

Last edited:

jtisgeek

Jan 26, 2010
I don't disagree I7 on some of those games are going to be faster. With my system the way i look at it , any high overclocked wolf dale will still be fine in any game right now.

I can't justify the upgrade to the I7 for the gains in a couple of games which most look like badly ported console games.

Also on your 8500 you can't get past 3.8 ? I had a 8400 that would do 3.8 on stock volts but my board doesn't like anything above 415 fsb so that low mult kills me so I started sticking with the 6000 and 7000 chips.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
I don't disagree I7 on some of those games are going to be faster. With my system the way i look at it , any high overclocked wolf dale will still be fine in any game right now.

I can't justify the upgrade to the I7 for the gains in a couple of games which most look like badly ported console games.

Also on your 8500 you can't get past 3.8 ? I had a 8400 that would do 3.8 on stock volts but my board doesn't like anything above 415 fsb so that low mult kills me so I started sticking with the 6000 and 7000 chips.
well with a 4890 its not that big a deal. throw in a 5870 or 5970 though and its quite a bit of potential performance down the drain. dual core cpus in some newer games are just not going to provide a good enough min framerates. also whether they are bad ports or not is irrelevant if they are games that you want to actually play. that excuse was fine back when it was just GTA 4 but now there a several more games where a quad is needed for best playability.

I am like you though when it comes to trying to justify the expense. to be honest I would just go consoles if the games were not so expensive but thats a whole other topic.

jtisgeek

Jan 26, 2010
If you look at the benches I posted even with the 5870 single and crossfire it's not much of a bottleneck in like 90 percent of games it's just a couple of games that really use the I7.

Now even in those games a highly clocked wolfdale is still playable with a 5870 so even thought you are leaving power on the table so to say does it really even matter you can still play every game just fine.

It's just us crazy overclockers that can't stand to know that we are not using are stuff to the fullest.:eek:

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
If you look at the benches I posted even with the 5870 single and crossfire it's not much of a bottleneck in like 90 percent of games it's just a couple of games that really use the I7.

Now even in those games a highly clocked wolfdale is still playable with a 5870 so even thought you are leaving power on the table so to say does it really even matter you can still play every game just fine.

It's just us crazy overclockers that can't stand to know that we are not using are stuff to the fullest.:eek:
again that didnt include any games where the difference was great. there are a few games where its quite noticeable and I already mentioned some of those. I know from personal experience because I HAD to oc my cpu just to get through them without even worse sluggishness. also the games that are cpu intensive can be fine one minute and then drop to down to low 20s or even teens where a quad would have handled it with ease. thats really not an enjoyable experience in my book especially when I know it can be fixed with a cpu upgrade.

yeah I do have a slight obsession about getting the most enjoyment of my games but at the same time I dont like really pushing hardware to the edge. there comes a point where an upgrade is the best route. IMO the time for a quad is here but its just whether or not I want to bite the bullet now or keep plugging along and try to ignore it.

Last edited: