Overclocked Celeron 366 not stable anymore

Rain Man

Jan 18, 2000
I bought a Celeron 366 for my Dad's PC about a year ago and it was pretested to work at 550 @ 2.0v (bought it from Minotaur). It was stable at 2.2v in a Abit BM6. In the past few months, the PC started to crash when just doing simple tasks like internet browsing. I thought it may be a software problem, but when I brought it back down to 366 it was stable. I tried 550 again at 2.3v (the highest the BM6 allows), but it still wasn't stable. I also tried reseating the HS and replacing the generic goop with Arctic Silver, but that didn't help either. The CPU temp never goes above around 40C (full load). Has this ever happenned to anyone, or is this normal?

Merle451

Oct 10, 1999
Could be Eltro-Migration.

The chip was not designated for 550Mhz speed. But it probably ran fine at it for awhile until it was slowly eaten from the inside.

I have a celeron 300A that was running at 450 2.0v for 15 Months. Not is require 2.1v

Im guessing it will eventually die sometime next summer. Oh well..............................

-Merle

lurqa2

Sep 13, 2000
Rain Man:

Get the temperature down.

If the CPU Cooler is OK. Then bring down the case temperature.

Electro-Migration is hoax

MadRat

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
Motherboards get unstable. I've bought a few c300a's and c366's and found every PPGA version to easily handle 100fsb. Same with slot-1 300a's. This from people who claimed the very same cpu's would not overclock. The secret? The motherboard! PPGA's are also susceptible to bad slotkets.

Before you blame the cpu try a new slotket. Keep the thermal grease as thin as possible. Never leave the dried remnants of old thermal grease on the cpu; start with a freshly cleaned surface.

MadRat

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
One last suggestion, powersupplies also go bad. Any strangle noise or behaviors from the powersupply will definitely blead over to affect the stability of the entire system.