Question Overclock i9-7960X on Rampage VI Extreme

EN3RU

Jan 12, 2019
Hi guys, I'm trying to overclock my CPU, but it's really hot! This is my configuration:
  • CPU: Intel i9-7960X 16/32
  • MOBO: ASUS Rampage VI Extreme
  • RAM: G.Skill Trydent-Z 3200MHz 14-14-14-34 64 GB
  • GPU: MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X+
  • PSU: Seasonic PRIME Ultra 1000 Titanium 1000W
  • AIO: Corsair Hydro H115i 280 mm
  • CASE: Corsair Obsidian 750D AirFlow Edition
My current configuration is (overclock 42%):
  • CPU Core Ratio: 40 (Sync All Cores)
  • Ai Overclock Tuner: XMP
  • AVX Negative Offset Ratio: 2
  • AVX-512 Negative Offset Ratio: 3
  • Xtreme Tweaking: Enabled (TPU: TPU I)
  • CPU Core: 1.100 V (Manual Mode)
  • CPU Input Voltage: 1.550 V
  • CPU VCCIO: 1.100 V
  • CPU System Agent: 1.050 V
The system is stable, but the temperatures are quite high (~82°C Prime95) and I can't go any further! I thought Corsair H115i would do better and will have to I opt for a custom system? Do you have better overclock settings? Thank you!

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Skylake-X brings the heat. What software are you using to test your CPU, and have you measured total system power draw at the wall yet? Or have you tried measuring it with software tools like HwiNFO64?

Reactions: EN3RU

EN3RU

Jan 12, 2019
I used Prime95 for stress testing and HwiNFO64 for monitoring values (temp, voltage, etc.). So Skylake-X requires a custom cooling system?

Also, in overclock mode, if I turn off the PC and turn off the power supply switch, it fails to boot multiple times followed by success. If instead I turn off the PC without turning off the power supply switch, it starts without problems. How can I solve this problem without leaving the power supply switch on?

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
I would say that yes, you should have custom water for that thing if you plan to overclock. Also you may get some more performance if you lower clocks a bit and raise VCCIO to around 1.9V, but I only read that in the Tom's review; your mileage may vary.

Not sure why killing the PSU power switch tanks your system like that, but I rarely use the PSU switch except when servicing the machine, so why bother?

Also, I would recommend getting something simple like a Kill-a-Watt to get some idea of what your system draws from the wall. And try to figure out what the package power is (HWiNFO64 should tell you this) so you can get an idea of what your cooling solution is being forced to handle heat-wise.

Finally, I hate to say it, but those Skylake-X CPUs have less-than-wonderful TIM under the hood. If temps continue to be a problem, you might have to delid:

https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3066-intel-i9-7980xe-7960x-thermals-power-review

Reactions: EN3RU

EN3RU

Jan 12, 2019
Thanks for the info, DrMrLordX! I will evaluate the purchase of a custom cooling system.
Do you always leave the power supply switch on (with the RGB leds always on)? Doesn't it reduce the lifespan of components (without necessity)?

Yes, I had read about the delid-CPU, but it invalidates the warranty and I think I will settle for the moment.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
To the best of my knowledge, leaving the PSU switch on only keeps the caps charged in the PSU. It might bleed a little power to some onboard LEDs. I don't have RGB madness on my machine (and never have) so it's not a major issue that I can tell.

For perspective, one of my old Ethereum mining boards - a socket AM2+ machine - had an orange LED that stayed powered on when the PSU switch was in the on position. I got it used in 2016, and it still worked when I finally got rid of it late last year.

Good luck with a custom loop. Don't spec a small rad or you will be back at square one.

EN3RU

Jan 12, 2019
I tried with the EK configurator and I opted for a two-radiator configuration (280mm). Is it excessive? I would like a good heat dissipation without pushing the system too much.
  • RAD: 2 x EK-CoolStream CE 280 (Dual)
  • FAN: 4 x EK-Furious Vardar EVO 140 BB (2500rpm)
  • PUMP: EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 RGB PWM (incl. sl. pump)
  • WB: EK-Supremacy EVO X99 - Nickel
  • TUBE: EK-DuraClear 11,1/15,9mm 3M
Of course it's a fairly expensive configuration, but I don't know how to get a better price-performance ratio. Any hints?

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
If you want more advice on a custom loop, I would recommend reading Cases & Cooling and/or posting there. Be specific with your heat load (7960X).

You don't have to go with all-EK products. There are huge rads out there like the MORA3 that could give you all the rad capacity you need. It might not fit your case or budget, though.