Overclock a Superclocked

R4in

Sep 18, 2011
I am debating on if i want to get the 560 Ti or a 560 Ti superclocked, the egg currently has both for sale.

I read a post somewhere that said you cannot overclock a superclocked GPU as it is already pushed to max settings. I would like to OC on my own and am wondering if that statement is true? should i buy the non-sc card and oc myself or just go ahead and get the sc card?

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
Most of the time a regular card will clock just as high as a superclocked card.
A regular card will almost always (99% of the time) overclock past superclocked speeds anyway.

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
I bought a factory overclocked GTX460 for two reasons - the first being that since it was factory-overclocked that meant I'd likely have much less difficulty in getting an rma/warranty service should the card die from "OC'ing" given that the premise of the product itself was that it was overclocked and not simply overclockable.

The second reason I bought factory overclocked was that this was a hedge against the prospects of the card being constructed with less robust components as the AIB is not likely to want to skimp out on VRM and capacitors for the sake of risking serious warranty costs if their own factory-overclocked cards should start dying in the field.

As luck, or misfortune, would have it, my MSI GTX460 cyclone (a factory OC'ed card) died within the first month, the rma to MSI was uncontested on their end (simple email and the rma was arranged, literally no questions asked although I did inform them upfront that I had OC'ed it further still above its factory OC settings) and within 2 weeks I had a retail shrink-wrapped in the box MSI cyclone in my hands.

My reasons for going factory OC'ed may be superfluous, but that is my reasoning nevertheless.

Sunny129

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2000
As luck, or misfortune, would have it, my MSI GTX460 cyclone (a factory OC'ed card) died within the first month, the rma to MSI was uncontested on their end (simple email and the rma was arranged, literally no questions asked although I did inform them upfront that I had OC'ed it further still above its factory OC settings) and within 2 weeks I had a retail shrink-wrapped in the box MSI cyclone in my hands.
out of curiosity, did they send you back your original card repaired, a brand new card, or a refurbished card? i've read some not-so-good things about MSI's warranty and RMA processes here on the forums, but i take them all with a grain of salt.

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
out of curiosity, did they send you back your original card repaired, a brand new card, or a refurbished card? i've read some not-so-good things about MSI's warranty and RMA processes here on the forums, but i take them all with a grain of salt.

It was a brand new card, in the same retail box complete with all the add-ons, plug adaptors, etc etc, and was shrink-wrapped the same as my original retail box that came from Newegg the first time around.

There is no doubt in my mind that the quality of the rma service is internally designed to be commensurate with the tier of the product. Buy a reference card or some lower-end cheap version of the card and your rma experience will be reflective of the fact the company made less money on your purchase than if you had bought a higher ASP product (as is the case with a factory-overclocked version).

I have rma'ed mobos, video cards, ram, UPS, and hard-drives and this has been a consistent observation, albeit anecdotal, on my part. When I was rma'ing premium components I got the VIP treatment, when I was rma'ing basement bargain products I got the basement bargain treatment.

It also helps to not be an ass when you interact with the rma dept as well as the technical support guys ;) (not implying you are, or that you do, just saying as a general rule)...I've seen so many responses in these forums about their approach to the rma teams and how it went downhill quick that it just makes me :rolleyes: and think to myself "no wonder you got shat on by the rma dept, I'd be annoyed to deal with your attitude too".

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
in my experience as long as you RMA through the company who you bought it from and not newegg things work out fine. but that might just be my experience

R4in

Sep 18, 2011
So then it is possible to OC a SC card? That was the biggest concern, i wouldnt mind paying the extra 50 bucks for the SC version so long as i am able to take it beyond the SC standards. It seems as though the SC version will be the way to go.

Thank you all for responses

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
I don't know about the SC cards themselves, but my factory-overclocked GTX460 came with a 725MHz clock (over the 650MHz stock clock IIRC), and using MSI afterburner I was able to OC it further still to 830MHz.

I then changed the HSF to an accelero xtreme plus and can now OC it even further to 880MHz. (OCCT stable, no errors with error checking enabled)

I would assume the SC cards are capable of being over-over-clocked :p but I can't say this is true as I have no experience.

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
I don't know about the SC cards themselves, but my factory-overclocked GTX460 came with a 725MHz clock (over the 650MHz stock clock IIRC), and using MSI afterburner I was able to OC it further still to 830MHz.

I then changed the HSF to an accelero xtreme plus and can now OC it even further to 880MHz. (OCCT stable, no errors with error checking enabled)

I would assume the SC cards are capable of being over-over-clocked :p but I can't say this is true as I have no experience.

Is the 880mhz before or after lapping?

TakeNoPrisoners

Platinum Member
Jun 3, 2011
I like stock overclocked cards because you are guaranteed those clocks while sometimes you may get a stock clocked card that cannot overclock at all.

Case in point with my 5850.

Also they will have a warranty at the settings they ship with so there is very little risk involved.

R4in

Sep 18, 2011
I like stock overclocked cards because you are guaranteed those clocks while sometimes you may get a stock clocked card that cannot overclock at all. Case in point with my 5850. Also they will have a warranty at the settings they ship with so there is very little risk involved.

Seems like a good enough reason to me to go with the 560 Ti Superclocked

Spikesoldier

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2001
I like stock overclocked cards because you are guaranteed those clocks while sometimes you may get a stock clocked card that cannot overclock at all.

Case in point with my 5850.

Also they will have a warranty at the settings they ship with so there is very little risk involved.

depends on how aggressive the AIB maker bins the GPU's, and how many SKU's which represent 'tiers' of performance there are in a given model series.