Overclock a Dell Vostro 1700?

Discussion in 'SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs' started by hal2kilo, Jan 8, 2011.

1. hal2kilo

hal2kilo Diamond Member

I've been googling all over but haven't found a definate answer. I have a Vostro 1700 that I've pretty much tweeked to the max (upgraded to T9300, SSD, max memory). I'm not a gamer so I'm not interested in overclocking the GT8600 graphics adapter. What about overclocking the frontside bus. I have a program Set FSB that can up the FSB but it wants to know what the clock generator chip is. The Vostro uses the Mobile Intel 965 chipset (Sata Rosa) but I can't seem to find what the chip is. I've kind of gotten some hints that it's locked on the Vostro. Anyone have any more info?

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - Overclock Dell Vostro Forum Date
    Shuttle SZ77R5 i7 2600K overclocking SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs Aug 27, 2013
    Dell Studio 540 Overclocking?? SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs Mar 2, 2009
    dell xps 630 overclocking SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs Apr 19, 2008
    Overclocking new Dell 700m SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs Feb 4, 2005
    Dell 1150 notebook - possible to overclock? SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs Oct 29, 2004

3. AnMig

AnMig Golden Member

google RMclock

I was able to overclock my misbehaving dell xps2 laptop with it. Other software solutions just locked up my computer. Good luck.

This was suggested by another board member (Hacp)

peace

4. hal2kilo

hal2kilo Diamond Member

Thanks. Not sure about HACP's advice though. Just kidding. This hardware. Not politics.

5. Lanyap

Lanyap Elite Member

Do you have a way of monitoring CPU temp? I would be leary of OC'ing a Vostro even if you could do it because it's designed for basic small business use. You may even be stretching the cooling system by running a stock T9300. If you had a an XPS or Precision I'd probably say do it if you could.

6. hal2kilo

hal2kilo Diamond Member

Actually, IIRC, the T9300 had the same current draw of 35W as the original microprocessor and due to it being the newer chip design, actually runs cooler.

I'm definately staying away from overclocking the NVIDIA graphics module for that reason though.

7. craftech

craftech Senior member

I recently upgraded the CPU in my Vostro 1500. If the heatsink / cooler is the same in the Vostro 1700 I wouldn't overclock it on a bet. It has a travel tube that goes over to the CPU and is supposed to cool it.

John

8. hal2kilo

hal2kilo Diamond Member

Yea it's a heat pipe connected to a heat sink where to fan is, they use them alot in video boards also. Not sure what your point is.

9. craftech

craftech Senior member

The point is that it is inferior to direct cooling and given the relative lack of airflow in a laptop to begin with, the additional heat generated from overclocking is a recipe for disaster.

John