Over 30? Close? Ever think about all those women you had a relationship with? What went wrong?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

skim milk

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2003
Originally posted by: kalster
25 and single and never been in a relationship :(

most of my friends are married too

whoa.. what happened there?

25 is still a young age but never been in a relationship, period?

How can you wait that long? Don't you want to experience the female companionships in your life before hitting the 30s at least?

kalster

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2002
Originally posted by: fritolays
Originally posted by: kalster 25 and single and never been in a relationship :( most of my friends are married too
whoa.. what happened there? 25 is still a young age but never been in a relationship, period? How can you wait that long? Don't you want to experience the female companionships in your life before hitting the 30s at least?

i dont know

I do want to experience for sure

I am mm i dont know, weird is the only word i can think of

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Have you thought of eharmony.com? The radio ads sound good anyway :) I would try such a thing personally if i was single at this point. There is zero shame in it. Everyone at my work and half the people I hang out with are at least late 20's, and generally in their 30's and are married. It's hard to say who has good relationships or not, because only intimiately can you really find that out, though I do know that many of them would say they do, even though certain aspects of them are things I would flatly not tolerate (and thankfully don't have to). Only one of my friends growing up is married, but the guy is an ass-licker. Of my normal friends none of them are, although one of them who is 27 in June I'm not even sure he's had sex before, and regardless of whether he has I doubt he ever will. He went through university and only managed to get limited play in his 5th year. It's kind of depressing that we were "best friends" growing up, and how he lives at home with his parents and is never going to have a girlfriend.

Anyway, that was a long run-on, multi-angled paragraph and I'm finished now.

I'd agree with the thought above about having a "decent" marriage instead of a great one. I mentioned elsewhere that I have an uncle in his 50's. Actually I think he's dead on 50. Anyway, he is retiring this year and has never married. He almost certainly never will, so he's doomed to die without the joy of children or somebody else to share old age with, except his brothers/sisters (who have their own family, so they can't exactly go visit him every night to watch tv). I wonder if he was looking for somebody _perfect_ and once he hit 40 he failed to realize that perhaps he needs to just find _anybody_! Or, it's entirely possible that all of his girlfriends just sucked.

JackBurton

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
30+ here with NO kids! Oh yes, and that is exactly how I planned it. Married too with a wife that wants no kids either. Life is good...without kids. :)

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: JackBurton
30+ here with NO kids! Oh yes, and that is exactly how I planned it. Married too with a wife that wants no kids either. Life is good...without kids. :)
Some good friends of ours are married in the same predicament. Two couples in fact, mid to late 30's. One will have kids "eventually", and the other has decided not too at all. Based on one of the reactions to mrsskoorb's news I'm of the opinion - shared by all of our other friends - that she is putting the nail in the coffin of an ultimate and regretable mistake...some time ago she agreed not to have kids with her husband, and now seemingly needs to convince herself that it was a wise choice. But, her friends are going to have children, and I expect that as she sees them age and how happy her friends are (unless the kids are brats), she will quite possibly regret this decision more than any other she's ever made. I could not imagine going through life without a couple at some point :)

UnixFreak

Platinum Member
Nov 27, 2000
Yep, I'm setting exceedingly high standards now. After dealing with a diagnosed pyscho ex - I've learned that being alone and happy is better than living with the turmoil of a sub-par individual. That may sound cruel - but after dealing with mental illness up close and personal for 16 years - all the compassion I had for dealing with that situation and individual is gone. Long gone.

I totally understand. Better to be single and alone than with a complete loony toon for the sake of commitment. Trust me, I've seen it.

JackBurton

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Originally posted by: Skoorb
Some good friends of ours are married in the same predicament. Two couples in fact, mid to late 30's. One will have kids "eventually", and the other has decided not too at all. Based on one of the reactions to mrsskoorb's news I'm of the opinion - shared by all of our other friends - that she is putting the nail in the coffin of an ultimate and regretable mistake...some time ago she agreed not to have kids with her husband, and now seemingly needs to convince herself that it was a wise choice. But, her friends are going to have children, and I expect that as she sees them age and how happy her friends are (unless the kids are brats), she will quite possibly regret this decision more than any other she's ever made. I could not imagine going through life without a couple at some point :)
And I couldn't imagine going through life WITH kids. ;)

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
It really won't bother you, at 60 years old, to know that you have no children?

JackBurton

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000

Not in the least. I find NO joy in kids. I like playing and having funs with my nephews, but when play times is over, they go right back to their parents. :) And my wife and I get to enjoy life together without being tied down. Yes, it is GREAT! :) Oh, have I told you my wife and I have been together for 12 yrs? :)

Topher

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999
I'll be 33 next week. Been married for over 7 years, got 2 little ones (4 1/2 and 2) My wife and I couldn't be more different. We've got completely different backgrounds, from two different cultures, are in two very different professions. I couldn't enjoy life more. My wife and kids are the best thing to happen to me. Now to just save up a downpayment for that house I've always wanted...... Kids gotta have some room to run around and blow off steam.

Feldenak

Lifer
Jan 31, 2003

I know it wouldn't bother me in the least to never have kids.

SaigonK

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2001
www.robertrivas.com
So I am 34 and getting divorced after 10 years of marriage and 13 years of being togethor. Do I miss the good times? yes. Do I miss the bad times? yes to that also.
I think I will be fine once I am out of the house and what not, but I often catch myself thinking that i will be alone forever, that no one would be interested in someone who is 34 and has two daughters 9 and 11.

Then people tell me to not worry about it, that things will happen and it will all get back to being good again. I didnt believe them at first, but i see it more each day.
I am excited to move on and get my life going again, as well as anyone should be.

It can be tough if you second guess your decisions, but why do that? It will only make you feel bad.

Aztech

Golden Member
Jan 19, 2002
I just turned 30. I've been married for 5+ years, but together for all of my adult life. She's the only person I've ever "been with". However, I had some serious crushes in college and I regret not experiencing more at that time in my life. You college kids go get some tonight for me! (use protection)

We have no kids, and she's 31 and her clock is ticking. We're trying to decide if/when to have kids. I think having kids would be an amazing life long adventure and experience. Come on, that's what it's all about. Passing everything you are and have down so that your kids can be a little bit better and a little bit better off than you. It's gotta be the most rewarding thing in life and I believe it will open one's eyes to what's truly important in this world. Beware your selfish thoughts if you're foregoing parenthood to enjoy your freedom. I see loneliness and regret in your future.

StormRider

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2000
I'm 40 years old and have only been intimate with my hands. There must be others like me in this world! :(