Over $1800 to run Crysis on very high

Modular

Diamond Member
Jul 1, 2005
Fantastic. They're in for a treat to be sure. I haven't finished yet, but it really is a great story.

RS8

Oct 14, 2007
Originally posted by: Modular
Fantastic. They're in for a treat to be sure. I haven't finished yet, but it really is a great story.

Lol I hope you were being sarcastic.

DannyLove

Lifer
Oct 17, 2000
That is awesome. Disappointed? Price? who cares, what matters is games are pushing for this type of technology, may not mean much to you pontifex, but it means a lot of others who reside in this industry.

Very cool

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
There's a custom computer seller on ebay who claims his computers run in quad SLI. What motherboard has 4 PCI slots at 16x or 8x?

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: DannyLove
That is awesome. Disappointed? Price? who cares, what matters is games are pushing for this type of technology, may not mean much to you pontifex, but it means a lot of others who reside in this industry.

Very cool

the technology is cool, but way too expensive. i was talking about being disappointed about Crysis though.

AMDZen

Lifer
Apr 15, 2004
My opinion:

I played this game a bit with my 7800GT and just upgraded to the 8800GT. Sure the game looks a little better now that I have things on medium and it runs better on medium then the 7800GT ran it on low, but for the most part it doesn't look very good still. And definetely not very much better either. Runs better, doesn't look much better.

COD4, and others changed dramatically. Bioshock, awesome. UT3, much better. World in Conflict is now playable woo hoo. Being able to play these games in all their glory is awesome.

It should be known that I'm playin on XP and thus, DX9 - but COD4 looks WAYYYY better then Crysis. Maybe I'll install Vista now on my other Raptor that is currently just sitting there and try it on DX10 - but I am not impressed with Crysis at all - graphics wise. Its still a fun game, but I expected a bigger difference overall with the 8800GT, and I know its the game not the video card because of how much better all of my other games look now.

I shouldn't need the craptasm that is vista and DX10 to get good graphics when other games are pulling way better graphics with DX9. How do people running it in DX10 feel?

DannyLove

Lifer
Oct 17, 2000
so what is this topic about, opinions on Crysis or the fact that we're looking at SLI to the extreme.

Frankly, who cares if COD4 looks better, still a crappy COD game on single or quad-SLI's :)

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
I'm hoping both Nvidia and AMD make a video card that performs well and runs cool and stable for these games.

As for COD4 being a spawn fest arena game or Crysis being another over glorified shooter...eh.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
Originally posted by: AMDZen
My opinion:

I played this game a bit with my 7800GT and just upgraded to the 8800GT. Sure the game looks a little better now that I have things on medium and it runs better on medium then the 7800GT ran it on low, but for the most part it doesn't look very good still. And definetely not very much better either. Runs better, doesn't look much better.

COD4, and others changed dramatically. Bioshock, awesome. UT3, much better. World in Conflict is now playable woo hoo. Being able to play these games in all their glory is awesome.

It should be known that I'm playin on XP and thus, DX9 - but COD4 looks WAYYYY better then Crysis. Maybe I'll install Vista now on my other Raptor that is currently just sitting there and try it on DX10 - but I am not impressed with Crysis at all - graphics wise. Its still a fun game, but I expected a bigger difference overall with the 8800GT, and I know its the game not the video card because of how much better all of my other games look now.

I shouldn't need the craptasm that is vista and DX10 to get good graphics when other games are pulling way better graphics with DX9. How do people running it in DX10 feel?

the point of this thread is that it took $1800 to run Crysis on very high. That is where the game shines. ANything less isn't something the game should be judged on.

vhx

Golden Member
Jul 19, 2006
If 3 cards can't even run it well... Geforce 9 series might not do it afterall. Perhaps Geforce 10.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
Originally posted by: CPA
There's a custom computer seller on ebay who claims his computers run in quad SLI. What motherboard has 4 PCI slots at 16x or 8x?

There was an MSI board that had four slots a while ago, but I seriously doubt those systems actually work in quad SLI unless he's using the 7950GX2s with some old driver. The current Nvidia drivers don't support any sort of quad SLI on the 8 series at all.

Liberator21

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2007
Whoever asked about DX10: I run Crysis on medium with a 320mb 8800GTS on a Vista 64 computer, and it really is the best visually pleasing game I've ever played.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: CP5670

There was an MSI board that had four slots a while ago, but I seriously doubt those systems actually work in quad SLI unless he's using the 7950GX2s with some old driver. The current Nvidia drivers don't support any sort of quad SLI on the 8 series at all.

Nope, it was 4 8800GTs. Can't seem to find the listing. If I do, I'll link it.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
14 fps minimum is not "smooth". When they build a system that can do it with no drops below 30, then they'll have something to talk about.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
Intel has a 4 slot workstation mobo that'll do it. I'm not totally sure but I think ASUS has one too. Been a while since I read about them.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Originally posted by: CP5670

MSI P6N Diamond, I believe. 680i chipset, 4 PCI-E slots.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
anandtech's review of triple SLI wasn't so hot with respect to crysis. triple SLI barely edged out regular SLI. just wait for the next gen of cards if you really want to play crysis maxed.

jonmcc33

Banned
Feb 24, 2002

Supposedly hacked drivers worked for the 7950 GX2 (run a pair and you supposedly had quad SLI). From my personal hands on experience with the 7950 GX2 it was a pile of crap.

jandrews

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2007
I hate how news stories sensationlize. 1800 graphics card title it should be 1800 dollars worth of gfx cards. Not to mention sli doesnt even give close to 100% performance boost, its what 75% at best?