Outsource your parents

SKORPI0

Lifer
Jan 18, 2000
Link :shocked:

After three years of caring for his increasingly frail mother and father in their Florida retirement home, Steve Herzfeld was exhausted and faced with spending his family's last resources to put the couple in a cheap nursing home.

So he made what he saw as the only sensible decision: He outsourced his parents to India.

What would you do, if you were in this situation?

jadinolf

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
Originally posted by: SKORPI0

After three years of caring for his increasingly frail mother and father in their Florida retirement home, Steve Herzfeld was exhausted and faced with spending his family's last resources to put the couple in a cheap nursing home.

So he made what he saw as the only sensible decision: He outsourced his parents to India.

I would do the same.

I hear India is wonderful.

Mucho

Oct 20, 2001
Nothing new, people have been send their elderly parents to hospitals in Mexico for year now.

Fraggable

Platinum Member
Jul 20, 2005
I can't imagine doing that to my parents, and couldn't live that far from them. I like them too much. That would be a horrible position to be in but if it came down to it, I'd rather have them in a state-run facility near me where I could still sort of take care of them.

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001
Originally posted by: SarcasticDwarf
If they can handle the change in culture and the flight, I see nothing wrong.

flight??? Hell, just ship them out on a boat.

NanoStuff

Banned
Mar 23, 2006
Originally posted by: KK
Originally posted by: SarcasticDwarf
If they can handle the change in culture and the flight, I see nothing wrong.

flight??? Hell, just ship them out on a boat.
The trip is pretty inexpensive on one of those container ships. A better alternative might be to pay a cabby to drive them off some place far enough so that they can't find their way back. We did it with our grandmother, sent her off to some swamp in Florida. Fortunately for us she had Alzheimer's so we never heard of her since.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Originally posted by: jadinolf

I would do the same.

Water you can't drink, and only runs a few hours a day. Electricity which also runs a few hours a day. Not to mention virulent diseases. They even still have the Plague in India.
No, the real option is Mexico.

txrandom

Diamond Member
Aug 15, 2004
Originally posted by: techs
Originally posted by: jadinolf

I would do the same.

Water you can't drink, and only runs a few hours a day. Electricity which also runs a few hours a day. Not to mention virulent diseases. They even still have the Plague in India.
No, the real option is Mexico.

America has plague too.