Outside Security Cameras

SiliconKnight

Jan 1, 2018
So I’m curious if I am in the clear to have security cameras outside my house monitoring my property. I have one pointed at my drive way, one at my front door, and the one at the Main Street that goes by my house. None of them are aimed at other people’s property i.e. yards, front doors, windows etc etc. I live in WA State, and I wanted to make sure I wasn’t breaking the law or anything. Like someone told me that I may have to post a sign saying that the property is under surveillance. Since I’m not recording any private areas as defined by the law. That didn’t seem to be true in my opinion. Perhaps someone else here will know better.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
Use google's street view, and see how much they are recording in your neck of the woods.
If you are doing pretty much what they are, then you are fine.

YuliApp

Dec 27, 2017
desirehive.com
in Germany it is forbidden any part of public place to record. And if you have public accessible private space, you have to put a warning ...

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
If you determine it's legal and need some camera recommendations I would recommend https://ipcamtalk.com

Make sure to get quality gear from Dahua/Hikvision/Lorex/etc unless you need a wire free solution (Netgear Arlo, Amazon Blink, Reolink Argus).

hackmole

Dec 17, 2000
You can't put up any warning signs because serious intruders would just take more precautions to get into your place -- wear masks, cover license plates, park down the street, shut down your power or destroy your cameras. In fact, destroying your cameras would be their first priority. Cameras also need to be put in a hidden position so they can't be spotted.
Everyone has some type of valuables in their home that such people want - art, rare books, antiques, memorabilia, stamps or coins, I know that all my friends have rare coins in their homes some with a combined worth of more than $20,000. If such people knew that, there would be a run on their homes but I think that a lot of these professionals already know what such upper class homes contain and know how to look for and neutralize security.

Reactions: corkyg