Outrage not found: Gay Florida Teen Charged for Underage Girlfriend

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
Because I misread your post. Again, what is the harm in a 50 yo banging a 13 yo, fully consenting and sexually mature?

(1) I think most people don't think 13 year olds should be having sex anyway

(2) Exploitative and coercive are ambiguous terms. What if the old guy buys her gifts and starts asking for sex and the 13 year old thinks if she says no that the gifts will stop. In fact age of consents laws could be argued to be protecting the old guy just as much as the girl in this case. Would you want really want a jury deciding if the 13 year old girl you are screwing was "coerced" into having sex.

(3) Honestly I think it is pretty clear that the 50 year old is only interested in sex.

(4) But hey maybe you are okay with that, but then why not drop the pretenses and just let 50 year olds pay 13 year olds for sex directly?

(5) Why does "sexually mature" matter? Does a girl menstruating make her mature enough to have sex?

Do you agree that there is some age limit where you don't think adults should be banging minors?

dali71

Golden Member
Oct 1, 2003
Ah ha! Have we reached the part where the reasoned responses (i.e. answers) cease and the name-calling begins?

Sorry, but there's no reasoning with someone who thinks it's acceptable for a 50 year old to have sex with a 13 year old. Seek professional help ASAP.

bozack

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2000
While I agree that is a problem, it doesn't apply to this case, as Kaitlyn turned 18 three months before they started dating.

Not only that, but how long have guys been being subjected to said laws and there was no major public outcry, I have been reading stories like this for years on the net and in the local news, where an older teenage boy is sentenced as a felon/sex offender because they were with a younger girl....

However now that it is two lesbians, one of which is underage, the story gets national attention, the older one gets airtime on network tv programs....

If people are going to be pissed about this why now and why not all the other times people have been convicted under this same, or similar laws?

bozack

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2000
FACT: The prosecutor wouldn't give a damn if this was some 18 year old Boy and a 14 year old girl, or an 18 year old girl with a 14 year old boy.

THE ONLY reason this is being prosecuted because they are both girls. It is blatant discrimination.

I would suggest you study up buddy, the only fact is that in the former situation you cite there are plenty of guys that get into big trouble for just that and are unfortunately branded as sex offenders even if the relationship was consensual at the time, and mostly it is because of similar pissed off parents, the difference is that for whatever reason society thinks it is "ok" to punish guys for that type of behavior/relationship because it is seen as predatory, but with this for whatever reason there appears to be a big double standard, either that or special interest groups are trying to make a martyr of this older girl simply because she is a lesbian.

maniacalpha1-1

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2010
In Florida it is perfectly legal for a 20 year old to bang a 16 year old. It has a close in age exception like you want. You may want to quibble about exactly what "arbitrary" ages to pick, but Florida basically has the law right. And you don't get to throw the law out just because the perpetrator happens to be a cute lesbian.

2nd, for the most part Freshmen and Seniors are not going to have the same classes even if they attend the same school.

3rd, not all school districts have HS as 9-12 grade. Where I attend Junior High was 7-9, and HS was 10-12

4th, you do realize that 14 year olds and 18 year olds could associate through things other than school right?

So it seems pretty simple if you are an 18 and meet a 14 year old that you legitimately like keep your clothes on until the younger person is of legal age. And if all you want to do is screw find someone legal.

It's clear that in this case the law failed to be able to accommodate an acceptable situation. Perhaps acceptable isn't the best word but certainly a crime did not occur, not in terms of justice. Legally yes but that's what I'm saying should be fixed.

And while, yes, they could associate through other than school, the fact remains that they did associate through school, which is required by law.

If people are going to be pissed about this why now and why not all the other times people have been convicted under this same, or similar laws?

I am. If you've ever looked through a sex offender listing that some local newspapers put out, you see that most are "Statutory Rape". That is a lot of ruined lives over something that has been statutorily deemed a crime even though the victim would almost certainly not see it as one. And 99% of them it's pretty clear they were 18-ish, not dirty 40+ hanging around the schoolyards.

Last edited:

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Not only that, but how long have guys been being subjected to said laws and there was no major public outcry, I have been reading stories like this for years on the net and in the local news, where an older teenage boy is sentenced as a felon/sex offender because they were with a younger girl....

However now that it is two lesbians, one of which is underage, the story gets national attention, the older one gets airtime on network tv programs....

lets not forget that she;s also pretty

dali71

Golden Member
Oct 1, 2003

People need to understand that equality means equal treatment before the law under all circumstances, not just when it is to your advantage.

LightPattern

Feb 18, 2013
IMHO the real tragedy here is the hypocrisy exhibited by many. If the 18 year old had been a male then there would have been NO outcry ... and he would be branded a child molester. Because the adult in this case was female (and it was a homosexual act) it is getting wayyy too much attention. The scales of injustice have already swung way too much against males in this society. Case in point is the comparison of two (2) adult teachers, one male and one female and two (2) students, one female and the second male. If a male teacher has sex with an underage student he is prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. If a female teacher has sex with an underage male student two things happen: First, many ATOT posters here cheer for the victim (yeah, he got some!) while second, the teacher gets off with a slap on the wrist.

The hypocrisy in this country (and within the AT forums) is just plain astonishing. Justice has failed ... and a young 18 year old woman is going to be affected for the rest of her life ...

Different age & gender couplings do matter.

To take the emotion out of the arguments for a second - consider nonhuman mammals. Let us go with dogs as they are familiar and easy to picture.
If you are the one responsible for 2 dogs, seeing males mount each other or females mounting each other won't cause the same concerns that seeing a male mounting a female will.

Regarding the age to gender matches - we're talking about post-puberty in both cases, so puppies can result. :)
Mature male impregnating less mature female presents more problems for the pregnancy as well as the weaning of the pups then a mature female more capable of taking on her young sire's pups.

Your example of the teacher & student pairings causing different legal and public responses demonstrates there is recognition of these differences.

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
Only read about this today, so I'm probably behind... but the girl rejected the plea deal. Really dumb. A man would never get such a generous offer, but if he did he wouldn't be stupid enough to reject it.

Last edited:

Agent11

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2006
Doesn't matter how cute she is, all the prosecutor has to do is cross examine them both on the topic of running away to stay at the GF's house and put the sobbing mother and father on the stand who have an out of control daughter who was being corrupted and taken advantage of sexually.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
Doesn't matter how cute she is, all the prosecutor has to do is cross examine them both on the topic of running away to stay at the GF's house and put the sobbing mother and father on the stand who have an out of control daughter who was being corrupted and taken advantage of sexually.

I think the plan is to portray the parents and prosecutor as raging homophobes who are out to destroy the life of a poor cute innocent girl just because she is gay. Getting them to drop the case due to public backlash.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
I'd love to be an attorney and have this case.
First of all, the affair started when both were under age.
Both were willing parties.
No doubt both are gay.
Knowing you have gay tendencies at the age of 14 is not unusual.
There are so many argumental points to be made.
At what age does one know they are gay?
Is it legal for two teens, both under 18, to have relationship?
I could go on and on.

Then you bring in the idea of so many people, married couples, claiming they were high school sweethearts.
Can this be turned into some crime come later years?

Has or can parents follow legal challenges when two kids, teens under 18, start up a relationship?

This case could easily get it tossed out. I have no question on that.
And convincing any jury that this is an inappropriate case in the first place, a "set-up" if you will, would be more than easy to make as a case.

I hope this goes to trial.
I guarantee the parents pulling this little stunt will be sorely sorry and humiliated in the end, as well as losing the love and trust of their gay child.

And the 18 year old, hopefully, will not make any "deal", because she can come out of this squeaky clean. Why risk or accept the burden of a cloud hanging over her head, for making a plea deal?
Both girls can easily walk away from this unscathed.

And the parents being exposed for what they truly are, but to me exposing the parents doesn't really matter. Not the goal here.
Its still not a crime to be a bad parent, have bad judgment, or bigoted tendencies.

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000

Do you have any legal basis for that opinion? I don't think a judge is going to toss out a case when there was a clear violation of the law.

dali71

Golden Member
Oct 1, 2003
I'd love to be an attorney and have this case.
First of all, the affair started when both were under age.
Both were willing parties.
No doubt both are gay.
Knowing you have gay tendencies at the age of 14 is not unusual.
There are so many argumental points to be made.
At what age does one know they are gay?
Is it legal for two teens, both under 18, to have relationship?
I could go on and on.

Then you bring in the idea of so many people, married couples, claiming they were high school sweethearts.
Can this be turned into some crime come later years?

Has or can parents follow legal challenges when two kids, teens under 18, start up a relationship?

And convincing any jury that this is an inappropriate case in the first place, a "set-up" if you will, would be more than easy to make as a case.

I hope this goes to trial.
I guarantee the parents pulling this little stunt will be sorely sorry and humiliated in the end, as well as losing the love and trust of their gay child.

And the 18 year old, hopefully, will not make any "deal", because she can come out of this squeaky clean. Why risk or accept the burden of a cloud hanging over her head, for making a plea deal?
Both girls can easily walk away from this unscathed.

And the parents being exposed for what they truly are, but to me exposing the parents doesn't really matter. Not the goal here.
Its still not a crime to be a bad parent, have bad judgment, or bigoted tendencies.

And I'm sure the underage girl's parents would love for someone as willfully ignorant as you to be Kaitlyn's attorney. The arrest affidavit I linked to clearly shows that Kaitlyn turned 18 three months before they started dating (and over four months before they started having sex). I'd love to see how you would try and convince the jury that it's okay for an 18 year old to finger a 14 year old in a school bathroom on multiple occasions.

DCal430

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2011
Sad the fact is, their are probably many cases like this were it is an 18 year old male and 14 year old girl, in this very county, but the prosecutor just ignores those cases. The fact is this is being prosecuted because she is a lesbian. Really sad how many closeted bigots refuse to see this.

Londo_Jowo

Lifer
Jan 31, 2010
londojowo.hypermart.net
Sad the fact is, their are probably many cases like this were it is an 18 year old male and 14 year old girl, in this very county, but the prosecutor just ignores those cases. The fact is this is being prosecuted because she is a lesbian. Really sad how many closeted bigots refuse to see this.

Please cite cases that back up your claim that an 18 year old boy would not be prosecuted for having sex with a 14 year old girl.

According to Wiki the age of consent in all US states is 16 to 18. A 14 year old can't legally consent to sex.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ages_of_consent_in_North_America

All US states set their limits between 16 and 18

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Age_of_Consent_-_North_America.svg

dali71

Golden Member
Oct 1, 2003

Wow, you still don't get it, do you? Let's try again:

Facts-and-opinions-2.jpg

Read it several times and let it sink in, you fucking moron.

maniacalpha1-1

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2010

I doubt very much that "prosecutors" ignore cases, but parents who don't have a problem with the behavior don't report it every day.

How fair is that? It's not. There are many reasons why the parents who DO press charges do it, but they probably don't do it because of the law itself. They may do it for religious reasons (you can't pray in schools but here is a law built to work with religious beliefs, so much for separation of church and state in cases where parents may only press charges for disagreeing with pre-marital sex), for example, or they they may simply not like the kid and if it had been someone they actually liked for their daughter they would not have.

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
Check your state sex offender registry and look for offenses like '3rd or 4th degree sexual misconduct with a minor' = basically statutory rape. Lots of them, but most tend to have involved a larger age disparity (six or more years) and the relationship originated outside of same-school peer groups.

Most of these scenarios where both parties attend the same high school aren't prosecuted, though (or are never brought to the attention of law enforcement because a parent doesn't file a complaint). There were at least a half-dozen of these relationships in my high school in any given year (e.g. senior dating a freshmen), or recent HS graduate (e.g. previous year) banging a freshman or sophomore, and even the occasional high school junior or senior banging the slutty 8th grader who was trying to look 18 (and did so almost convincingly due to being ahead of the typical or average pubescent development curve). I don't know of any case from my school district that went to the legal system, though I occasionally would hear/read of one in another community.

Last edited:

5150Joker

Diamond Member
Feb 6, 2002
www.techinferno.com
She should go to prison and have it on her record. If it was an 18 year old guy with a 14 year old girl, there would have been no mercy for him. I hate how gays are trying to exploit this, just shows the LGBT double standards. They don't want equal rights, they want rights that go over and above everyone else.