Outrage in Stanford Rape Case Over Light Sentence for Attacker and Stmt by His Father

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
Has anyone been following this story? From what I've read, it was a pretty horrible sexual assault with the victim waking up in the hospital the morning after.

The now convicted rapist was given just a six month prison term. The father's statement to the court was published and it's absolutely outrageous. I haven't followed the story beyond the stuff that got posted to my twitter feed, so it's possible I'm missing something. (And if I am, please share it).

I generally don't believe in the whole "rape culture" thing, but in this case it's hard to argue. For example, the defense was allowed to question the victim on what she was wearing that night. o_O

Here's a link to a story about the outrage over the sentence and father's statement. http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/07/u...tatements-of-victim-and-attackers-father.html

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
Piece of shit father raises a piece of shit son. No surprise there I guess :/

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
hopefully someone gives his son 20 minutes of action

Hugo Drax

Diamond Member
Nov 20, 2011
So is Rolling Stone going to publish a front page article on this? Will there be protests as well?

Or maybe not too much since he is a white blue eyed Stanford jock?

Oct 16, 1999
Rape is not okay. This rape was not okay. But I could manage a little more outrage if it wasn't predicated by the victim getting blackout drunk at a frat party.

Reactions: sao123

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
anyone got a article with what happened that is not a emotional one sided affair?

from what i read in one both were drunk. had sex she passed out he didn't and left.

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
Rape is not okay. This rape was not okay. But I could manage a little more outrage if it wasn't predicated by the victim getting blackout drunk at a frat party.

What does that have to do with the father's statement or the lenient sentence? That's what's especially outrageous here. Or are you saying that raping a blackout drunk girl should be considered a less severe offense? Otherwise I don't see how it's relevant.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
anyone got a article with what happened that is not a emotional one sided affair?

from what i read in one both were drunk. had sex she passed out he didn't and left.

if by "he didn't and left" you meant to say "he was busted in the act by 2 students, ran away from them, and then got tackled and held down until the cops arrived", then that seems to fairly depict what happened.

i dunno about you, but when I'm legitimately banging a chick and some one else rolls up on me, I smile real big and give them the double thumbs up. I don't run the fuck away like a rapist.

But Turner's lawyer, Mike Armstrong, argued that Turner did not realize how drunk Doe was or that she had passed out, which he said could have happened as or after the bicyclists arrived. Even the woman's younger sister, a Stanford student, said Doe had seemed "fine" about 45 minutes before the alleged assault, Armstrong reminded the jurors. Armstrong also said the area behind the dumpster was not all that secluded.

Doe had a blood-alcohol level of .24, or three times the legal limit for operating a vehicle, and did not wake up for more than three hours. Turner's was twice the legal limit.

One issue in the trial was why Turner fled when the bicyclists came running toward him to help the woman. Kianerci contended that Turner ran because he knew he was doing something wrong. But Armstrong said Turner ran because he was scared of them.

Let's even give the dude the benefit of the doubt and say that this is true - so you ran away from 2 guys on bikes because you were "scared", but left the chick you were just "banging" half naked behind a dumpster, with said 2 guys on bikes that you were scared of? GTFO.

Last edited:

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Where did you read that?

tried to find the article but can't pretty much said that both got drunk, went out to have sex, she passed out and he left her.

All the other articles i found are pretty heavy on emotion. SO i will refrain from calling him a rapist. though what the father said was pretty fucking bad

Oct 16, 1999
What does that have to do with the father's statement or the lenient sentence? That's what's especially outrageous here. Or are you saying that raping a blackout drunk girl should be considered a less severe offense? Otherwise I don't see how it's relevant.

It's relevant because she doesn't remember and couldn't even testify to the event.

http://www.people.com/article/stanford-swimmer-brock-allen-turner-victim-letter

In the letter she read in court, released in full to BuzzFeed, Turner's victim described how she learned long after the fact what, exactly, had happened to her – and the harrowing effects of the sexual assault that continue still.

"When I read about [details of my attack], I said, this can't be me, this can't be me. I could not digest or accept any of this information," she said. "I kept reading. In the next paragraph, I read something that I will never forgive; I read that according to him, I liked it."

In her letter, she explained how the fact that she was unconscious during the assault, after being intoxicated, was used during the trial to cast doubt on the prosecution's case.

Yeah, no shit. We really can't know how "lenient" his sentence is.

Linux23

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
Dam that father is a jackass of jackassery. The kid doesn't want to consume his $100 ribeye steak dinner now? Poooooor fucking him!

Nov 25, 2013
tried to find the article but can't pretty much said that both got drunk, went out to have sex, she passed out and he left her.

All the other articles i found are pretty heavy on emotion. SO i will refrain from calling him a rapist. though what the father said was pretty fucking bad

Even though he was caught in the act? Even though charged, tried and found guilty of said crime?

btw, read her court victim statement. It might do you some good.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Where did you read that?

On January 18, 2015, at about 1 a.m., two male Stanford graduate students were riding their bikes through campus when they spotted a man on top of a woman near a dumpster. The woman did not appear to be moving. The students approached the man, who fled, leaving the woman, unconscious and partially naked, on the ground. One of the students chased him and held him down while the police was called. The man was identified as Brock Turner.

Turner and the woman had attended the same party that night and were intoxicated; Turner’s blood-alcohol level was double the legal limit at the time, and the woman’s was three times the legal limit. Turner admitted to engaging in sexual contact with the woman, but said she had given consent. The victim testified that she had no memory of the assault, and in her statement last week said she loses sleep “when I think about the way it could have gone if the two guys had never come.”

http://www.theatlantic.com/news/archive/2016/06/stanford-sexual-assault-letters/485837/

Usually I don't get into the whole screaming rape when two drunk people bang at a frat party. But I have serious doubts that even drunk, a girl consented to sex next to a dumpster (although I know of a girl who has). But the fact she was passed out when the other guys found her, pretty much automatically makes it rape, even if she consented beforehand he should've stopped.

Oct 16, 1999
http://www.theatlantic.com/news/archive/2016/06/stanford-sexual-assault-letters/485837/

Usually I don't get into the whole screaming rape when two drunk people bang at a frat party. But I have serious doubts that even drunk, a girl consented to sex next to a dumpster (although I know of a girl who has). But the fact she was passed out when the other guys found her, pretty much automatically makes it rape, even if she consented beforehand he should've stopped.

Well the fact he was still zipped up means maybe he did (or was going to if he realized she has passed completely out). There's too much grey area in this case for it to be getting trotted out as the outrage de jour like it is.

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012

Wow.

What the fuck? He was caught humping her unconscious body behind a dumpster by two other students and took off running when they confronted him....but you will refrain from calling it rape? She had abrasions and dirt in her vagina. He had digitally penetrated her in both her vagina and anus before he did the deed. He claims he thought it was okay because she let him dance with him and she touched his shoulder.

Fuck you, dude. Maybe you should read the 13 page statement from the victim since you need clarification on what rape is.

Last edited:

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999

There are different degrees of everything. Personally, I think raping a blackout drunk girl is much less severe rape that saying, breaking into her house armed, tying up her husband and kids forcing them to watch, while he violently rapes her repeated while holding her at knife/gun point.

Kind of like robbing someone by saying "Give me your money" vs pulling a gun on them and then pistol wiping them to take their money.

This is why judges are allowed flexibility in sentencing.

Not to mention he wasn't convicted of rape.

Edit: I really don't know many of the facts of this case, and I am not saying what he did was wrong. The sentence is probably way too weak, but nothing everything need to be an emotional knee jerk reaction either.

Last edited:

buckshot24

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2009
Wow.

What the fuck? He was caught humping her unconscious body behind a dumpster by two other students and took off running when they confronted him....but you will refrain from calling it rape? She had abrasions and dirt in her vagina. He had digitally penetrated her in both her vagina and anus before he did the deed. He claims he though it was okay because she let him dance with him and she touched his shoulder.

Fuck you, dude. Maybe you should read the 13 page statement from the victim since you need clarification on what rape is.
Glad you got that moral outrage off your chest? Maybe he didn't know those facts?

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Well the fact he was still zipped up means maybe he did (or was going to if he realized she has passed completely out). There's too much grey area in this case for it to be getting trotted out as the outrage de jour like it is.

I didn't realize he didn't actually do the deed. But sounds like he showed intent.