Outputting Digital Video to a VCR

zveruga

Aug 24, 2000
Think of a TV-tuner backwards. What is it called, if it exists? I wanna basically record my MPEGs on VHS. DOABLE? PRICE? COMPANY RECOMMENDATIONS?:)

Thanks.

SemperFi

Platinum Member
Apr 5, 2000
Well if your video card has an s-video out connector you are ready to go. You may need buy some cables depending on what you have laying around.

If your video card has svideo out did it come with an adapter that looks similar to this? S-video to composite converter. Actually if your vcr has s-video input all you will need is an s-video cable. If not you will need s-video cable, the converter and a video cable. That should get your video input.

For the sound you will need a cable to go from your sound card to the vcr. If you have 1/8" jack you will need this. You will then need stereo hookup cable to connect to the vcr.

The only problem I can think of is the sound and video might be out of sync.

Also I wouldn't buy from the shack as they are high as a kite. I found the s-video adapter at mcmelectronics.com for $5 they just don't have the pictures.

zveruga

Aug 24, 2000
In that case, is Geforce 3 a good outputter of Video? I have the S-video jack. Would another card be better for this purpose?

And the million dollar question....... Any card out there will let you choose whether to output in NTSC PAL or SECAM??

SemperFi

Platinum Member
Apr 5, 2000
That card should be adequate. If you look for the stuff you need online you should be able to set this up for less than $25. You will just have to try it. Like I said earlier there could be a problem with sync.

As for the million dollar question I don't know. I only have an ntsc tv so I have not looked for other formats.

The only reason I can see for another card is if the audio and video are out of sync. I don't know if another card will fix that problem if it even is a problem. The other reason for seperate card is for tv on your computer or to input from vcr or other source to the pc. Going from pc to vcr I see no need for the added expense unless you want one. ;)

rbV5

Lifer
Dec 10, 2000
In that case, is Geforce 3 a good outputter of Video?

GF3's disable the VGA port when using TV-out, so you wont be able to see the video on your CRT when outputting to tape(not very handy). Matrox cards work great for that because of their overscan support and decent TV output. Radeon also work OK with overscan enabled, and my AIW Radeon allows for output based on format (PAL, NTSC).

zveruga

Aug 24, 2000
Hmmm... how about an output card with SECAM support?

Why i want to do this: Because it is part of my grand plan to save myself at least $1000 dollars. I need to convert SECAM tapes to NTSC, and back. For personal use only. However, the Samsung "worldwide vcr converters" (i.e SV5000, SV7000) are HORRIBLE at SECAM conversions. I am talking fading in and out of brightness, bad contrast, messed up colors. And all professional converters I saw are over $1000, and are found in specialty stores with bad refund policies (can anyone contradict me?).

My idea: Capture video using a TV tuner. Output it back via a video card. All I need is a card that outputs SECAM. I think finding a SECAM TV tuner will be easier for the input.