Outpost PC2700 256MB DDR $69.99

spanky

Lifer
Jun 19, 2001
careful with outpost man. they tried to screw me over with some 512 ddr. they actually did screw me over. they advertised pc2100 ddr, which is clocked at 133mhz... but they sent me a dimm clocked at 125mhz. they also had the nerve to send me an order confirmation for a price of $115, but when they sent me my delivery tracking info, they told me i was charged $145. this was only a matter of hours... and at no time was i ever informed of the price change, or a price error. i called up a CSR and he told me to forward him my order confirmation which says my dimm was $115, so i did. he says he will run the credit requestion forms the next day and keep me updated via email tomorrow a week goes by, and i email him back asking about the status of the credit request. he replies that he was waiting for his marketing dept to verify the price. so another week goes by... no reply. i email him again and ask for an update. now he replies he can't give me a credit refund becuz his marketing dept says the price was always $145. i asked him if he showed his marketing team the email they sent me, and if that was not proof enough, then they were just screwing around with their customers (bait & switch, illegal charges on my credit card which i did not agree to, etc.) he tells me i should call and speak to a supervisor. so i call and speak with another CSR and ask for a supervisor. he tells me there is none there for that day, but ask if he can help. so i tell him the situation and let him know that i wasn't really happy about being screwed out of $30. i voluntarily emailed him my order confrimation for a price of $115, and he agrees i was dicked. so he promises to run the credit refund forms the next day. i call back two weeks later for a check up... and finally... i got my $30 back. well... at least that is what yet another CSR says. i still have to call me CC company to verify if i got any money back. but still... i now have pc2000 (125mhz) ddr... instead of the advertised pc2100. but i'm using a duron... so it's not going to make a difference to me. anyway... just wanted to warn u guys... keep ur eyes open when ordering from these guys.

hollowman

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2001
i was kind of afraid to open your link... since some bastard posting all those sicko pictures..
anyway, nice deal there.

RadioactiveMagpies

Jan 24, 2002
generic outpost 2700(69.95) or crucial 2100?($71.36 shipped) any thoughts? I need to buy 256 megs by next thursday when my board and cpu arrives. Which would be better for overclocking an amd xp1700 and a biostar m7mia mb raid mb?:D

hollowman

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2001

<< generic outpost 2700(69.95) or crucial 2100?($71.36 shipped) any thoughts? I need to buy 256 megs by next thursday when my board and cpu arrives. Which would be better for overclocking an amd xp1700 and a biostar m7mia mb raid mb? >>

if you are overclocking.. i would not go with generic. well.. now some Crucials are Samsung, Hynix chipset. They are not very overclock friendly either anyway. MT rulez!
anyway, also.. i would seriously take some brand ram if you are getting cheap mobo. i've heard many issues generic rams do not get along with cheap mobos.

Loricariidae

Oct 22, 2001

<< MT rulez! >>

Any thoughts on OEM MT PC2100? Ideally they should OC as well as original Micron modules, no?

BTW, I've never had good luck with Fry's (Outpost's B&M) generic memory. They are bottom-of-the-barrel.

Nack

Oct 10, 1999
Actually, I can't say enough good things about Outpost. Their products are good, their shipping is reasonable, and their customer service is great. I bought two OEM/Generic 512MB ECC/Reg DDR dimms from them a month ago. They were actually in their computer (internally, that the customer could not see) as 256MB dimms. So, not surprisingly, they sent me two, 256MB dimms, rather than the 512MB dimms that I ordered. Interestingly, the memory they sent me, while not what I ordered, was very good quality. The two 256MB ECC/REG GENERIC dimms were actually rebadged Micron originals, complete with the micron manufacturer sticker on them, next to the generic company's label. I would have been very happy had they been 512s, but they were not, so I had to call. Now the price I paid, while high for 256MB dimms, was quite a deal for 512MB dimms, and they were described as being 512MB dimms (hence the reason that I ordered them).

I called and explained the situation, and everyone I spoke with, while empowered to varying degrees (from no power to help, all the way up to could do whatever was necessary to make it right), was very nice and friendly, and treated me with respect. The first salesperson I talked to didn't know anything about memory, and hence didn't know what I was talking about when I was saying 64Xxx as opposed to 32Xxx, etc. The nice thing about that is instead of ACTING like she knew what she was talking about or trying to make *ME* believe that *I* didn't know what I was talking about, she actually admitted that she had no knowledge about memory, and transferred me to someone who did. Now THAT was classy. I would hire her for that. People should admit when they can't help, rather than bull$hit the customer like most stores. That really impressed me. No sarcasm here. She really did handle that right.

The outpost people and I finally both came to the conclusion that the product had been misidentified on the website, and that it was their mistake, but that there was no way I could have known that I was not ordering 512MB dimms, since that is exactly what the description that I ordered from indicated. It did take several calls, and talking to a couple of supervisors (first supervisor would not help), but once it was all resolved, I ended up getting what I paid for (two, 512MB PC2100 ECC/REG, DDR dimms). The supervisor that helped me out didn't tell me he was going to do this, but he even upgraded me to Corsair (from "OEM Generic") at no extra charge. Now THAT is what I call customer service!

Now all of ths might sound like a pain just to buy a couple of sticks of memory, but people are only human, and mistakes do happen. The thing that distinguishes a good retailer (they all make mistakes - bad ones sometimes) is how they handle them. It sounds like spanky's problem must have been handled through the bad supervisor, not the really nice one, who worked with me and helped me out. Hey, I just had a thought. Maybe the supervisor that helped me out was an original Cyberian Outpost employee, and the one that said no to me (and didn't help spanky) was a transfer over from Fry's? :p Anyway, when all was done, I got two sticks of Corsair 512MB PC2100 ECC/REG DDR for about $175 shipped, and this was recently! :)

Nack

Kingofcomputer

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2000

<< Any thoughts on OEM MT PC2100? Ideally they should OC as well as original Micron modules, no? >>

oem mt pc2100 could mean original micron module.
keep in mind, there are original micron module with MT sticker, generic module with micron chips, crucial which is actually original micron module with additional CT sticker.

XFreebie

Banned
Dec 12, 2000
i've never had good luck with fry's ram, and now they are tryin' to sell it thru outpost. bad 512mb pc133 sdram last year. bad 128mb sdram the year before that. and bad 32mb pc100 about 2 years ago. maybe my fry's gets all the rejects from the other stores. and now that outpost stocks fry's stuff, i'll go with crucial.

Mercenary

Golden Member
Oct 28, 1999
Well oem pc2700 is 70 bucks on price watch so they are at the same level... I do wonder if this is any good...

HFC

Apr 8, 2001
I think they switch vendors over time. Do you remember the bad ones that you have/had, what markings were on the memory? I had seen centon before. Now I see Delta Omega. There might be others. I'm tempted with their 512M PC2700 for $129.