Outlook Express vs. Mozilla Thunderbird vs. Foxmail

cyberknight

Sep 3, 2004
Trying to figure out which one I should pick...

I do find that Outlook Express take up the most memory....

MBony

Platinum Member
Sep 16, 2003
I use Outlook 2003, might want to include that. Or are you just including free clients?

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
I find the email client buit-into Mozilla 1.7.3 excellent,gets rid of all my Junk mail etc....

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
I've been using Thunderbird since .5 or .6. I like it better than Outlook Express, but I've never heard of Foxmail.

DaCurryman

Golden Member
Jun 20, 2001
At work I have to use Outlook 2003, but for personal mail I currently use Outlook Express (have been since Freshman year of College 6 years ago). I also used to like IE, but have a new love since I switched to Firefox. I'm wondering if I should make the transition to Thunderbird.

I've become so accustomed to OE that I dunno if I can change, plus will all my e-mails, folder structure, and address book carry over to Thunderbird? I dont want to lose all of that. I'd like to know what everyone else thinks also. Thanks.

MBony

Platinum Member
Sep 16, 2003
Originally posted by: DaCurryman
At work I have to use Outlook 2003, but for personal mail I currently use Outlook Express (have been since Freshman year of College 6 years ago). I also used to like IE, but have a new love since I switched to Firefox. I'm wondering if I should make the transition to Thunderbird.

I've become so accustomed to OE that I dunno if I can change, plus will all my e-mails, folder structure, and address book carry over to Thunderbird? I dont want to lose all of that. I'd like to know what everyone else thinks also. Thanks.

Well, you can always download t'bird and try to import and see if it works. You won't lose anything from OE so it is worth a shot.

Jman13

Apr 9, 2001
I have been using Eudora since 1996 (various incarnations), and after using Thunderbird, I've finally switched e-mail clients. One nice bonus was that Thunderbird imported all my Eudora mailboxes and settings, with a flawless conversion, so I still have access to the 10,000 e-mails I've kept over the last 8 years. It is streamlined, attractive, works like Outlook (which I use at work) but much faster, and the junk mail filter seems to be awesome. I'm convinced!

cyberknight

Sep 3, 2004
I just included Foxmail in this post cuz it got a high popularity rating on majorgeeks.com in "Mail Utilities", so I would assume someone would've heard about it. Guess not...

mysticfm

Jun 21, 2004
I used to use Eudora for many years as well, until I changed to Thunderbird this last summer. I'm very happy with the latter, and hope to remain with it for quite some time.

OE is a bad joke. Full Outlook isn't quite as bad of a joke, but still falls far short of my idea of a good, efficient, secure email client. Foxmail I've not heard of. I tried Pegasus Mail, and that wasn't cutting it at all either (pretty horrendous design).

DaCurryman

Golden Member
Jun 20, 2001
You guys say that Thunderbird is good like Outlook, but the reason I use OE is cause I hate Outlook. I don't need/like the Calendar, To Do List, Notes, etc. That's why I've been using OE...since all I want is a nice mail client. Not to mention that I can DL all my different mail accounts together. Is Thunderbird really more like Outlook or OE?

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
Originally posted by: mysticfm
I used to use Eudora for many years as well, until I changed to Thunderbird this last summer. I'm very happy with the latter, and hope to remain with it for quite some time.

same here

LinkTree

Dec 8, 2004
I'm with outlook2003 - like the thunderbird but sitll have problem migrating to it due to hebrew support... :(
Ahhh - does anyone know if it can be syncronize with Palm (the thunderbird and 515) and what about contacts and iPod?

Jman13

Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by: DaCurryman
You guys say that Thunderbird is good like Outlook, but the reason I use OE is cause I hate Outlook. I don't need/like the Calendar, To Do List, Notes, etc. That's why I've been using OE...since all I want is a nice mail client. Not to mention that I can DL all my different mail accounts together. Is Thunderbird really more like Outlook or OE?

Thunderbird doesn't have the calendar, etc of outlook. You can configure the preview panes to work like Outlook does, and it works better, and faster, though. I have multiple POP accounts, and they all reside peacefully on the left side, with the mail appearing on the right. Thunderbird is fast, and very pleasant to use.

The junk mail filter is excellent, and it uses Bayesian filtering, and you train it to recognize junk...so the more you use it, the better it gets at filtering it. It has great security features, as you can configure it to display outside images or not, (if not, you can display them in a message by just clicking a button in the corner of the message). Plus, script running configuration and HTML mail handling is all customizable, so you can get what you want for security/convenience. So far, I really like it....

Thunderbird also has a news reader, but I haven't tried it out yet.

Jman

trek

Dec 13, 2000
I use thunderbird and like the interface etc, but sometimes it takes far too long to load. Occasionally it will take up to 10 - 20 second before anything shows up.

The news reader is also pretty nice, but it would be nice to set the columns up differently between mail and news. I don't know if that is already implemented or not and I just missed it.