Outlook 07 Password from Windows.old

Oct 29, 2015
Gonna throw this out there and see if anyone has had success with this before. I have an older lady's PC that was having an issue with the OS not booting. I ended up reinstalling the OS and the previous version got moved to Windows.old.
Like most old foggies in this area she doesn't remember her password and none of her recovery options for her gmail account work because she doesn't remember them either.
Is there anywhere within the bowels of the windows.old folder that I could find this password from? She has Outlook 2007.

Dahak

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2000
While I have not tried it from a windows.old folder, in theory it should work. You could try to export out the registry settings for the profile. Details are available here

https://www.top-password.com/knowledge/export-outlook-account-settings.html

You would have to load the users registry key from the .old folder. It should be in the users profile folder. The file is called ntuser.dat its a hidden file so you many need to turn on show hidden and system / turn off protect system files

Then if it works correctly, you can use nirsoft's mailpass viewer to see what the password is (may need to turn off av temporarily to download it and run)