Outfitting a new bachelor apartment with furniture

Alphathree33

Platinum Member
Dec 1, 2000
I'm getting my first-ever bachelor condo in April and I need to buy a bunch of furniture for it since I have essentially none.

I'm aesthetically-inclined, but I've never really bought furniture before.

Should I just pick one or two colors and styles and try to get everything (bed, computer desk, tables, chairs, etc.) to match that?

For example, black and "wooden" would probably be a good theme for me. It's computer-esque and modern, but perhaps overdone?

I'm primarily shopping at Ikea since my budget isn't huge. I want a relatively modern look -- nothing too cluttered.

I guess I just don't know how to start. If I buy primarily wooden furniture, should I try to get the same types of wood for consistency, or different kinds for variation? I realize these are vague questions.

Anyone's comments would be appreciated. My budget is $2000-3000, and I need a bed, couch, computer desk, kitchen table(small), and perhaps a few other smaller things.

Beller0ph1

Golden Member
Apr 18, 2003
Ikea is easy to match. Just pick a style that you like, and they offer pretty much everything with that same color scheme. I just did the same thing. All I would do is pick something that you like, and try and match all your other furniture to it. For me, it was the Ikea "birch" theme. Nearly everything in my apartment is either white or birch. Looks good.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
1) Go to Crate & Barrel
2) Spend $7k on $3k worth of furniture
3) Complain about it here

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: jpeyton
1) Go to Crate & Barrel
2) Spend $7k on $3k worth of furniture
3) Complain about it here

LMAO! :D

For a young bachelor apartment, it should be Ikea. First, it's inexpensive. Second, whatever furniture a bachelor gets should not be considered permanent, as either your tastes will change or you'll end up getting married (and her tastes will change your tastes ;) ).

chimmytime

Jul 26, 2002
well i wouldn't really suggest going to ikea but with your budget i guess you'll need to. the best thing to do is find a style of nicer furniture places and try to match with stuff at ikea.

i.e.
www.dwr.com
www.westelm.com
www.potterybarn.com

also if you can find a furniture replicator, they can sometimes make what you want for half the cost, and in any color and fabric you want.

Reactions: sdifox

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Let's see...last post in the thread was 2007...new poster joins just to post a link to stuff...yep.

Fucking spammer.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Ikea has bachelor pad planned out in a display
. Just buy a set.