Outdoor use for Projectors

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
Does hot or cold weather effect the life of the projector when using it outside? Is it worth using a projector outside?

Jun 27, 2005
At a store I ran about 12 years ago, we held a promotion for the (then) new Sony Playstation. We found an old 10'x10' screen that we had recovered from a bar and used an OLD SharpVision projector.

We nailed the screen to the garage door of our car audio shop and held a Battle Arena Toshinden tournament. It was awesome. You could see it from a half mile away. People were stopping in the middle of a four lane road to see what it was. :D

YOyoYOhowsDAjello

Moderator<br>A/V & Home Theater<br>Elite member
Aug 6, 2001
Originally posted by: pcslookout
Originally posted by: YOyoYOhowsDAjello
http://backyardtheater.com/

Wow. I would be worried without headphones my next store houses would complain lol.

Even with the video they may. I don't think they would though. The sound I would say anyone would with it being as long as it has to be.

It would be pretty difficult to fill up your backyard with speakers decently, especially the low end of things.

I think as long as you're using headphones and aren't watching "adult" films, then any attention you would get would probably be curiosity rather than complaints. It's not like it's going to be bright enough to really bother anyone.

I guess it depends on whether your neighbors are jerks though ;)

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005

Even with the video they may. I don't think they would though. The sound I would say anyone would with it being as long as it has to be.

It would be pretty difficult to fill up your backyard with speakers decently, especially the low end of things.

I think as long as you're using headphones and aren't watching "adult" films, then any attention you would get would probably be curiosity rather than complaints. It's not like it's going to be bright enough to really bother anyone.

I guess it depends on whether your neighbors are jerks though ;)[/quote]

A friend of mine does outdoor theater - his neighbors are far away but they still hear his stuff. The pix are rather self explanatory. :Q

Text

Text

Text

YOyoYOhowsDAjello

Aug 6, 2001
Originally posted by: Rubycon
Originally posted by: pcslookout

I guess it depends on whether your neighbors are jerks though ;)
A friend of mine does outdoor theater - his neighbors are far away but they still hear his stuff. The pix are rather self explanatory. :Q

Text

Text

Text

That's why I said headphones ;)

Where's the screen?

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
Holy crap there are some awesome ideas linked to :Q

Now if only i owned my own place with a backyard or bigger...

I totally will do this someday :p

andylawcc

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
Originally posted by: Rubycon
Text

holy sh1t.... I bet you be a VERY blind man if you look straight into that thing.

anyways, the clip reminds me of one of the mini-games in Rayman in Wii.

AlienCraft

Lifer
Nov 23, 2002
Originally posted by: AlienCraft

oh..... it's on now baby.....

Since I live in Wisconsin, like to control my own lighting, like to control my own sound, live in a city on a busy street, and don't have 40 people to watch a movie with... I think I'll be sticking with indoors ;)

I just think the idea of a party with a projector is sooo cool.
tres silicon chic , imo.

I visited that site and there's some interesting stories.
I just need a projector and screen, to go along with my little EON system and I could rock a backyard.

YOyoYOhowsDAjello

Aug 6, 2001

Since I live in Wisconsin, like to control my own lighting, like to control my own sound, live in a city on a busy street, and don't have 40 people to watch a movie with... I think I'll be sticking with indoors ;)

tres silicon chic , imo.

I just need a projector and screen, to go along with my little EON system and I could rock a backyard.

If you do it, make sure to make a thread with the results :D

AlienCraft

Lifer
Nov 23, 2002

tres silicon chic , imo.

If you do it, make sure to make a thread with the results :D

But of course!!! ...with the obligatory :camera:'s , too. I've heard it's an unwritten rule....
:D

gwrober

Golden Member
Sep 3, 2005
We have outdoor movie night often - I hang my screen off of my gazebo, setup the laptop and some speakers, and presto - outdoor theater. Works pretty well. I have a greenbelt and ranch behind my house, so we don't get a lot of ambient light from the neighborhood or anything. Works out well!

I want to get one of the inflatable screens tho - think of the portability, the advertisements you could do...hhmmm....

Rallispec

Lifer
Jul 26, 2001
i would love to do this -- but my concern is that i'd annoy the neighbors... I will probably try it at least once this summer though....

My thought is to project directly onto the side of the house -

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
Whats the point of buying $5000 + cost projectors if they don't look much better than the lower cost projectors ?