IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Since commentary isn't allowed in that other thread…

61592d98-bb95-4d61-9765-1064ac5d07a1.jpg

What the hell are the springs and gear doing in there? It's a freakin' compass.

<= triggered.

FIVR

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2016
That shit broke over 100 years ago. We threw it in the garbage shortly after.

We should've let colonialism die with the British Empire but we decided it was too big to fail, so we went all in. We captured the Phillipenes, Hawaii, and a bunch of other islands in the pacific and carribean. After defeating the Nazis, we decided we actually liked them better than communists so we allied with them and spent the next 50 years as the biggest force promoting death, chaos, and destruction all over the world.

Only delusional DoD bots like OP think the US even has a "moral compass" anymore.

Reactions: Thebobo

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
That shit broke over 100 years ago. We threw it in the garbage shortly after.

We should've let colonialism die with the British Empire but we decided it was too big to fail, so we went all in. We captured the Phillipenes, Hawaii, and a bunch of other islands in the pacific and carribean. After defeating the Nazis, we decided we actually liked them better than communists so we allied with them and spent the next 50 years as the biggest force promoting death, chaos, and destruction all over the world.

Only delusional DoD bots like OP think the US even has a "moral compass" anymore.
Pronouns, you don't use them well.

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
You need a mixture of morality and logic. Both work in tandem to correct the other. When one side wins out over the other, you get bad outcomes. Right now we have passion which is pushing out logic. The foundation that people use to then guide themselves is their emotions which allows themselves to feel like they are being moral, without having any sort of inflection to gauge if what they are doing is good.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
You need a mixture of morality and logic. Both work in tandem to correct the other. When one side wins out over the other, you get bad outcomes. Right now we have passion which is pushing out logic. The foundation that people use to then guide themselves is their emotions which allows themselves to feel like they are being moral, without having any sort of inflection to gauge if what they are doing is good.
There’s more than a pronoun problem here. You might need a coffee.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
By the way those aren’t gears, they the triangles, mark degrees.

Right at SE, where the hand it pointing, there is a gear sticking out of the compass. He is right, the artists doesn't really know how a compass works, which to me speaks more of America's plight then the intended commentary.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Right at SE, where the hand it pointing, there is a gear sticking out of the compass. He is right, the artists doesn't really know how a compass works, which to me speaks more of America's plight then the intended commentary.
That and the springs are to set the declination. I’m not going down easy.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
But you see those springs and gears are selling points for the morally challenged to get mesmerized by and grasp at as they watch the pointer on that compass singularly point to whomever makes the most blatant false promises and baseless fictitious conspiracy accusations from their side at those who oppose them, anoint this scumbag as their leader and then refer to those fancy gears and springs that compel the moral compass pointer to point at their morally challenged greatest deal making liar and scam artist as proof that their guy with the orange glow is all that is morally and religiously good for the nation.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
That and the springs are to set the declination. I’m not going down easy.
I could grant you the possibility of the gear being used to set declination if the compass had markings for setting declination which it does not. Which brings up something I failed to notice in my initial size up, blinded by my rage at the gear and springs perhaps, but this compass sports a watch hand instead of a needle. My initial assessment was that this was the type of compass that had a floating disk that turned to point the path of righteousness but the with inclusion of the watch hand there is no escapement from the conclusion that the artist is wrong headed.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
But you see those springs and gears are selling points for the morally challenged to get mesmerized by and grasp at as they watch the pointer on that compass singularly point to whomever makes the most blatant false promises and baseless fictitious conspiracy accusations from their side at those who oppose them, anoint this scumbag as their leader and then refer to those fancy gears and springs that compel the moral compass pointer to point at their morally challenged greatest deal making liar and scam artist as proof that their guy with the orange glow is all that is morally and religiously good for the nation.
I had given thought to the idea that the springs represented a certain elasticity in moral judgement which got me thinking about That Hideous Strength which got me thinking about modern politics which got me depressed.

Reactions: tweaker2

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
I think as a society, our moral compass never points north. Rather, it'll point towards the direction we set it!

Now that all the springs and gears are busted, we can no longer set our moral compass.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I could grant you the possibility of the gear being used to set declination if the compass had markings for setting declination which it does not. Which brings up something I failed to notice in my initial size up, blinded by my rage at the gear and springs perhaps, but this compass sports a watch hand instead of a needle. My initial assessment was that this was the type of compass that had a floating disk that turned to point the path of righteousness but the with inclusion of the watch hand there is no escapement from the conclusion that the artist is wrong headed.
I suppose it could be the compass was drawn fucked up to resent our fucked up morality. That you feel depressed, however, raises the moral question that challenges me.

I see depression as a state of suppressed feeling and that the road to joy from there begins with depression turning into sadness which turns into anger and then rage and then grief as wall after wall of our emotional armor falls. It is grief, I believe, that is actually self love, the morning for our loss, our separation, that brings self integration and healing. So, how should a person who has healed deal with the sickness of the world and the violence those who are still sick bring to it. Is there a proper place in life for what I would maybe call the wrath of God?

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
Shouldn't our moral compass be covered up my self aggrandizing contracts and dollar bills?

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I suppose it could be the compass was drawn fucked up to resent our fucked up morality. That you feel depressed, however, raises the moral question that challenges me.

I see depression as a state of suppressed feeling and that the road to joy from there begins with depression turning into sadness which turns into anger and then rage and then grief as wall after wall of our emotional armor falls. It is grief, I believe, that is actually self love, the morning for our loss, our separation, that brings self integration and healing. So, how should a person who has healed deal with the sickness of the world and the violence those who are still sick bring to it. Is there a proper place in life for what I would maybe call the wrath of God?
If the road to joy can be trod within the time it takes to eat a delicious jelly donut, I'll cheerfully walk it with donut in one hand, soda pop in the other, and the third eye of enlightenment aimed at the oncoming drivers, to serve as gentle notice that they driving the wrong direction.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
The small screw on the left represents Orangeholio's tiny penis.

Also, this is one of those fancy compasses that has a memory function used to determine old true north with older maps after the poles shift.