Our landfill is full of freedom

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Had no idea we even had bald eagles here let alone this many! This was taken at our landfill:

BTtxzFD.jpg

According to a FB post there are 43 confirmed that hang out there.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Hah, I actually just saw the first bald eagle I've seen in years in my area, just the other day. They seem to be making a comeback!

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
They're advance scouts...preparing for the invasion.

We have quite a few of them here. There's a mating pair that spends most of the year in the woods behind our neighborhood...they cruise the little creek that runs through it looking for salmon. We had a decent run of spawning salmon this year. I saw at least a couple of dozen fish that were 18-24" long. All of us know to keep a close eye on our small dogs...my smallest one isn't much bigger than a rabbit...

KillerCharlie

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2005
There are a couple of them next to where I work... across the street from an airport with large passenger jets.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
They're advance scouts...preparing for the invasion.

We have quite a few of them here. There's a mating pair that spends most of the year in the woods behind our neighborhood...they cruise the little creek that runs through it looking for salmon. We had a decent run of spawning salmon this year. I saw at least a couple of dozen fish that were 18-24" long. All of us know to keep a close eye on our small dogs...my smallest one isn't much bigger than a rabbit...

Wen't on a grizzly bear tour a couple of years ago, at the end of the tour they threw some food over board to attract eagles, next thing we knew there where about 25-30 of these huge birds swooping into the water grabbing food, awesome to see.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Wen't on a grizzly bear tour a couple of years ago, at the end of the tour they threw some food over board to attract eagles, next thing we knew there where about 25-30 of these huge birds swooping into the water grabbing food, awesome to see.

I remember the first time I saw a Bald Eagle scavenging roadkill...I was shocked. All I had ever seen was movies where they gracefully swoop down and catch a fish...or a rabbit...or some other small animal. I was like...:eek:
But it makes perfect sense...easy meals are easy meals...

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
awesome photo. appropriate, considering the scavenging jackasses that Bald Eagles are.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I remember the first time I saw a Bald Eagle scavenging roadkill...I was shocked. All I had ever seen was movies where they gracefully swoop down and catch a fish...or a rabbit...or some other small animal. I was like...:eek:
But it makes perfect sense...easy meals are easy meals...

Have you ever heard one vocalize? It isn't the sharp, stout call that we often associate from the propagandized imagery that us Americans are fed every time that symbol pops up. Baldies have a sickly, revolting screech that is a good bit less grating than nails on a chalkboard.

Pulsar

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2003
The Canadians near / around Michigan send all their garbage over the border into Michigan and it goes into a landfill. We routinely make comments about you can see the landfill hill from miles away, even while out sailing on Lake St. Clair. So I guess it's fair to say our landfill is full of canadians.

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
They were an endangered species once in the lower 48. Great comeback mostly due to the removal of DDT from the environment. Now we see even at the landfill we fly our RC stuff from.