Our idiot in chief does it again.....'We're not a shipping clerk': Trump tells governors to step up efforts to get medical supplies

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
This is just Trumps way of washing his hands of this issue!! Hell it is the governments fault the states were caught with their pants down....now he says what he say.....

President Donald Trump on Thursday put the onus on governors to obtain the critical equipment their states need to fight the coronavirus pandemic — telling reporters that the federal government is “not a shipping clerk” for the potentially life-saving supplies.

Appearing at the daily press briefing of the White House coronavirus task force, the president defended his decision to invoke the Defense Production Act — which would allow the administration to direct U.S. industry to ramp up production of emergency medical provisions — without actually triggering the statute, .
“Governors are supposed to be doing a lot of this work, and they are doing a lot of this work,” Trump told reporters. “The Federal government is not supposed to be out there buying vast amounts of items and then shipping. You know, we're not a shipping clerk.”
The president’s remarks amounted to a rebuke of governors’ recent pleas for greater federal intervention amid the rapidly spreading outbreak, which they warn will soon overwhelm local health care systems if ventilators, hospital beds, face masks and other necessities are not soon furnished in significantly greater numbers.

Trump said Thursday the administration will “help out wherever we can,” but added that the acquisition of urgent supplies “is really for the local governments, governors and people in the state, depending on the way they divide it up. And they'll do that, and they're doing a very good job of it.”
Trump previously announced Wednesday that he would dispatch one of the Navy’s two hospital ships to New York Harbor, while the other prepared to deploy to a location on the West Coast. The vessels are equipped with 1,000 hospital beds each and intended to relieve civilian hospitals struggling with capacity in the face of the public health crisis.

Last edited:

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
What’s even sadder is that the federal government actually runs a rather large shipping operation. Perhaps he’s heard of it, USPS. The federal government also has a rather large logistical entity, called the US military.

I think trump wants to be remembered in history, he doesn’t care that he will be remembered as one of the most incompetent presidents in US history, he just wants to be remembered.

ShookKnight

Dec 12, 2019
Why were Obama supporters called sheeple who followed and rabidly supported Obama, blindly... yet, there were no hats and rallies?

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Why were Obama supporters called sheeple who followed and rabidly supported Obama, blindly... yet, there were no hats and rallies?
Obama supporters also didn't call Obama "Dear Leader" or claim he was sent by God to save us. The 8 years of rage and memes directed at Obama were nothing more than conservatives projecting their own shitty desires and behaviors onto others. How they've responded to Trump proves it.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000

Because the people saying that were projecting. Everything they said about Obama can be applied to trump and his supporters.

Reactions: ShookKnight

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
The government is, in fact, a huge shipping clerk. Especially and specifically in times of great crisis. Civilian agencies and the military have huge logistics networks at their disposal.

He's just saying stuff like this because he's immensely lazy, doesn't care if lots of people die, and wants to try letting others catch the blame through his usual bullshittery.

Jan 25, 2011
What an amazing piece of shit. Tells them to get their own supplies, the the fedgov outbids the states so they can't get them.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
Trump changes his tune every day.

*The virus isn't a big deal. Now, it's a big deal.
*The fed will be ramping up production of masks, ventilators, etc. Now it's the job of the states.
*This will be all over in April. Now it's July, Aug.

I could go on. CNN has a point when they said that Trump can't hold his rallies so this is his strategy. Push the blame onto others which he is very good at. Also, the "this is a game changer" comment is a joke. It has been rebutted by his own scientist. It's great to be optimistic and we should have hope. But, what Trump is doing is very scary. Many people who do smoke or have underlining conditions will hear this and think it's ok to keep smoking, or go outside. He needs to have straight talk, and needs to be realistic. The only thing he's concerned about is the 2020 election. If I were Anthony Fauci I'd be very weary of Trump. He has to keep backtracking what Trump says and you know Trump doesn't like that one bit. If he's gone next week I wouldn't be suprised.

"You must never confuse faith that you will prevail in the end with the brutal facts of the situation." ~James Stockdale

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Trump changes his tune every day.

*The virus isn't a big deal. Now, it's a big deal.
*The fed will be ramping up production of masks, ventilators, etc. Now it's the job of the states.
*This will be all over in April. Now it's July, Aug.

I could go on. CNN has a point when they said that Trump can't hold his rallies so this is his strategy. Push the blame onto others which he is very good at. Also, the "this is a game changer" comment is a joke. It has been rebutted by his own scientist. It's great to be optimistic and we should have hope. But, what Trump is doing is very scary. Many people who do smoke or have underlining conditions will hear this and think it's ok to keep smoking, or go outside. He needs to have straight talk, and needs to be realistic. The only thing he's concerned about is the 2020 election. If I were Anthony Fauci I'd be very weary of Trump. He has to keep backtracking what Trump says and you know Trump doesn't like that one bit. If he's gone next week I wouldn't be suprised.

"You must never confuse faith that you will prevail in the end with the brutal facts of the situation." ~James Stockdale
Also bring on the racism and xenophobia with those damned Chinese ferners. Part of how he got elected.

BTW - He was praising Xi a few weeks before, now claiming those dirty Chinese people infected us.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
Also bring on the racism and xenophobia with those damned Chinese ferners. Part of how he got elected.

BTW - He was praising Xi a few weeks before, now claiming those dirty Chinese people infected us.

Yep. I forgot about that. I would in no way want to use race, but IMO the Chinese should in some way be held accountable. I also feel like many people from other countries are blaming the Chinese right now. I know when I lived in South Korea my students did not like them. They considered them unclean. In Thailand as well. My Thai gf was not fond of the Chinese and would talk negatively about them. Those feelings aren't just contained in America. I'm in no way condoning Trump's tone on the Chinese. They are awful and I feel for all Asians who are living here in The West. Trump is just making it worse. OTOH, the Chinese are liable in some way. The gov. there has got to start cracking down on those damn wet markets with severe punishments. Same with SE Asia. Eating bats, penguilians and other exoctic animals should be outlawed ASAP. The Chinese have got to stop lying as well. They are losing credibility IMO. Many people don't trust their COVID-19 data, and for good reason.

Just my opinion.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Yep. I forgot about that. I would in no way want to use race, but IMO the Chinese should in some way be held accountable. I also feel like many people from other countries are blaming the Chinese right now. I know when I lived in South Korea my students did not like them. They considered them unclean. In Thailand as well. My Thai gf was not fond of the Chinese and would talk negatively about them. Those feelings aren't just contained in America. I'm in no way condoning Trump's tone on the Chinese. They are awful and I feel for all Asians who are living here in The West. Trump is just making it worse. OTOH, the Chinese are liable in some way. The gov. there has got to start cracking down on those damn wet markets with severe punishments. Same with SE Asia. Eating bats, penguilians and other exoctic animals should be outlawed ASAP. The Chinese have got to stop lying as well. They are losing credibility IMO. Many people don't trust their COVID-19 data, and for good reason.

Just my opinion.
Casual racism is not acceptable anytime or anywhere. The instances you mention above other cultures considering them "unclean" is just that.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002

Just my opinion.
China's government needs to be held accountable for it's lack of transparency. That's not what Trump is projecting because he is looking for cover. His followers respond to invaders not policy arguments

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
Casual racism is not acceptable anytime or anywhere. The instances you mention above other cultures considering them "unclean" is just that.

I know that. It was just an observation, and TBH I'd try to talk with my students about their viewpoint often. I thought is was very unacceptable.

They didn't always see my viewpoint as an American. I tried though.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
China's government needs to be held accountable for it's lack of transparency. That's not what Trump is projecting because he is looking for cover. His followers respond to invaders not policy arguments

Yes. I should had made that clear. The government needs to be held accountable. Unfortunately, the people are the ones who get the short end of the stick.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
What an amazing piece of shit. Tells them to get their own supplies, the the fedgov outbids the states so they can't get them.

Plus making them scarce & expensive with trade policy-

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Yes. I should had made that clear. The government needs to be held accountable. Unfortunately, the people are the ones who get the short end of the stick.

"Held acccountable" like how, exactly? What a bullshit concept. If you don't like the way they handled it just wait until our own response becomes manifest. They're paying a huge price in terms of their economy.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
Plus making them scarce & expensive with trade policy-

IMO, the main issue that is coming to bite us is we are now a service economy. We are too reliant on China and other countries to make stuff for us. Factories are shuttered. Corporate greed is a big factor. If we made our health supplies in America we wouldn't have a shortage. It's jsut going to compound this issue.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
"Held acccountable" like how, exactly? What a bullshit concept. If you don't like the way they handled it just wait until our own response becomes manifest. They're paying a huge price in terms of their economy.

I don't know how you would hold the Chinese accountable. Maybe cut them off until they can assure the world that they got rid of the wet markets. If not, then no country should do business with them. They will change their tune real fast if all countries ban together. Same should be for any country that doesn't outright ban wet markets. SE Asia could be in there as well.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Fortunately what he said isn't even true. The USAF is flying test swabs from Italy (where the chief producer is located) to the US on special C-17 flights. They expect to ship in 1M swabs a week on an ongoing basis.

Reactions: JEDIYoda

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Fortunately what he said isn't even true. The USAF is flying test swabs from Italy (where the chief producer is located) to the US on special C-17 flights. They expect to ship in 1M swabs a week on an ongoing basis.
That would be great if it was true!! We will see!