Our great military...SOME OF WHOM ARE acting like barbarians

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

shuan24

Platinum Member
Jul 17, 2003
Originally posted by: xxxxxJohnGaltxxxxx
Originally posted by: shuan24
C'mon JohnGalt, I thought you were a man of reason and logic, but all you have shown in this post was flame and insults.

I may not always agree with your/anybodys opinion, but no need to insult and flame, just point me out if you think i'm wrong.

Who insulted you?

You among others JohnGalt.

There's nothing wrong with a third-tier college and there's definitely nothing wrong with the education I'm getting out of it either.
I suppose you went to some Ivy league school?

tk149

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2002
A Japanese court sentenced a 21-year-old US marine to three years and six months in prison for beating and raping a woman on the southern Japanese island of Okinawa in May.
The maximum sentence for the charge is life imprisonment, while the minimum sentence is three years.
Prosecutors had demanded a five-year prison sentence,
Seems like he got off light, but why didn't the prosecutors go for more? Too bad they don't practice castration.

Dec 27, 2001
Originally posted by: HeroOfPellinor

Dude, have some self-respect and salvage some dignity...stop posting. Go live life for a few more years and come back and post when you actually have something to say.

I'm going to stop responding to your posts, because so far, you had only posted negative and insulting, therefore flaming responses. Everytime you insult me, I reinforce my argument, then instead of debating, you choose to insult again.

I could care freakin less. I want you to reinforce your argument. I'm DARING you to reinforce your argument. You're not doing that, you're looking for an out.

Now, WinstonSmith, you are absolutely correct about generalizations. That leads to prejudice and especially racism. I feel that perhaps our military should be alot more strict regarding criminal actions, and should definitely penalize those who commit crimes.

"I feel that perhaps our military should be alot more strict regarding criminal actions, and should definitely penalize those who commit crimes."

That sentiment is a twinge different than the title of your post "Our great military...acting like barbarians" or this line "The few, the proud, the baboons" or this line "Why are our soldiers, who supposedly hold honor, courage,...yada yada yada so highly, always committing these heinious crimes?" or this line "Are these guys any better than baboons?"

And you can't even admit that you were wrong!

shuan24

Platinum Member
Jul 17, 2003

Dude, have some self-respect and salvage some dignity...stop posting. Go live life for a few more years and come back and post when you actually have something to say.

I'm going to stop responding to your posts, because so far, you had only posted negative and insulting, therefore flaming responses. Everytime you insult me, I reinforce my argument, then instead of debating, you choose to insult again.

I could care freakin less. I want you to reinforce your argument. I'm DARING you to reinforce your argument. You're not doing that, you're looking for an out.

Now, WinstonSmith, you are absolutely correct about generalizations. That leads to prejudice and especially racism. I feel that perhaps our military should be alot more strict regarding criminal actions, and should definitely penalize those who commit crimes.

"I feel that perhaps our military should be alot more strict regarding criminal actions, and should definitely penalize those who commit crimes."

That sentiment is a twinge different than the title of your post "Our great military...acting like barbarians" or this line "The few, the proud, the baboons" or this line "Why are our soldiers, who supposedly hold honor, courage,...yada yada yada so highly, always committing these heinious crimes?" or this line "Are these guys any better than baboons?"

And you can't even admit that you were wrong!

I really see whos the idiot now: YOU are.

"And you can't even admit that you were wrong!"

I'm thinking that I'm responding to a 6 yr old who doesnt read the posts:
"I'll admit I came off as generalizing, but I shouldve made it clear that is a small minority."

That post was made several posts ago.

Are criminal soldiers not baboons? Idiot. I didnt say "All soldiers are baboons".

I firmly believe that criminal soldiers are baboons. Although it was not quite clear that in my very first post I was specifically refering to the criminal soldiers, that was what I meant.

Soon, after reading a few posts it became clear to me that YOU (the idiot) did not understand my statement, so then I tried to clarify my post, and I get accused of back-pedaling.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Originally posted by: tk149
A Japanese court sentenced a 21-year-old US marine to three years and six months in prison for beating and raping a woman on the southern Japanese island of Okinawa in May.
The maximum sentence for the charge is life imprisonment, while the minimum sentence is three years.
Prosecutors had demanded a five-year prison sentence,
Seems like he got off light, but why didn't the prosecutors go for more? Too bad they don't practice castration.

Perhaps this is where the problems lies. When a soldier commits a crime against a foreign national withing their own country, they are tried and punished according to the host country's laws. The sentence seems to be too lenient.

I would like to know why that is.

LilBlinbBlahIce

Golden Member
Dec 31, 2001
He's from Texas....Austin....go figure.

Fvck you Galt, what does that have to do with anything? Talk about making generalizations right after critisizing someone else on the same thing, its one thing being a dumbass, its another baing a dumbass and a hypocrite.

shuan24

Platinum Member
Jul 17, 2003
Wow, all these hard-core flamers went away.

Just as usual, when they've been proven wrong time and time again, the just *disappear*.

How lame.

Back to the point:

does anybody else get what I'm trying to say?

308nato

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2002
....Of course I dont know .......

Mr. Obvious has entered the building. Are you starting threads about priests, schoolteachers, Boy Scout leaders, prison guards and Richard Gere as well ?

Jan 12, 2003
I do; you think anyone who joins the military is a monkey, given the guilt-by-association premise you liberally apply to all members.

shuan24

Platinum Member
Jul 17, 2003
No, thats the exact opposite of what I'm trying to say.

I have been repeatedly saying that over and over, yet you people dont listen.

Nowhere, I mean absolutely nowhere, did I ever say that our WHOLE military are monkeys. Post, after post I have been denying that accusation, and even producing evidence to prove otherwise, yet all of you still choose to accuse and repeat the same old line from the very first post made by tnujitsu. Wow what a mature forum this proved to be.
rolleye.gif

Jan 12, 2003
Originally posted by: LilBlinbBlahIce
He's from Texas....Austin....go figure.

Fvck you Galt, what does that have to do with anything? Talk about making generalizations right after critisizing someone else on the same thing, its one thing being a dumbass, its another baing a dumbass and a hypocrite.

You see why I posted that now, don't you? Think about it before you launch with your usual 'gansta' attacks, G.

shuan24

Platinum Member
Jul 17, 2003
Originally posted by: 308nato
....Of course I dont know .......

Mr. Obvious has entered the building. Are you starting threads about priests, schoolteachers, Boy Scout leaders, prison guards and Richard Gere as well ?

I'm sorry, but I dont understand what that means. Care to explain?

AAjax

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2001
US marine given 42-month prison term for Okinawa rape

Why are our soldiers, who supposedly hold honor, courage,...yada yada yada so highly, always committing these heinious crimes? Are these guys any better than baboons? Granted, they are only few bad apples in the bunch, but these people make our whole military and everything it stands for look bad. A 42 month prison term for raping a woman? And the only reason why its so long is because he hit her? Do people not see the injustice here?

The few, the proud, the baboons.

edit/ NOTICE THAT NOWHERE IN THIS POST AM I REFERRING TO THE WHOLE MILITARY. THIS IS IN CONTEXT OF THE CRIMINAL SOLDIERS ONLY.

NOTICE THAT IN YOUR TITLE YOU REFER TO THE ENTIRE MILITARY "OUR GREAT MILITARY"

Gosh this caps lock thing is contageous

shuan24

Platinum Member
Jul 17, 2003
Originally posted by: AAjax
US marine given 42-month prison term for Okinawa rape

Why are our soldiers, who supposedly hold honor, courage,...yada yada yada so highly, always committing these heinious crimes? Are these guys any better than baboons? Granted, they are only few bad apples in the bunch, but these people make our whole military and everything it stands for look bad. A 42 month prison term for raping a woman? And the only reason why its so long is because he hit her? Do people not see the injustice here?

edit/ NOTICE THAT NOWHERE IN THIS POST AM I REFERRING TO THE WHOLE MILITARY. THIS IS IN CONTEXT OF THE CRIMINAL SOLDIERS ONLY.

NOTICE THAT IN YOUR TITLE YOU REFER TO THE ENTIRE MILITARY "OUR GREAT MILITARY"

Gosh this caps lock thing is contageous

FIXED. Yeah its extremely contageous.

ZaneNBK

Golden Member
Sep 14, 2000
but these people make our whole military and everything it stands for look bad. [snip]

edit/ I concede that the title is misleading, BUT, the post is definitely NOT.

Ok, so if your intent is to say, "Some of our military people are acting like criminals..." then what is your point? Some American citizens act like criminals. People all over the world act like criminals. As others have pointed out (and you seem unable to answer) the only way this is signfigant is if the percentage of people commiting crimes in the military is substantially different than the percentage of people commiting crimes in the US population in general. You haven't researched or provided either statistic, so what exactly is your point?

People are doing bad things. Ok, we know this. How is this special in any way is what the other posters are asking.

It APPEARS from your first post that you were alluding to the fact that the Military has a much higher percentage of criminals in it's population than the US population. This would be the only way your post would make ANY sense at all. Others are asking for evidence of these claims and now you're just backpedalling.

In short. Put up or shut up.

shuan24

Platinum Member
Jul 17, 2003
Originally posted by: ZaneNBK
but these people make our whole military and everything it stands for look bad. [snip]

Ok, so if your intent is to say, "Some of our military people are acting like criminals..." then what is your point? Some American citizens act like criminals. People all over the world act like criminals. As others have pointed out (and you seem unable to answer) the only way this is signfigant is if the percentage of people commiting crimes in the military is substantially different than the percentage of people commiting crimes in the US population in general. You haven't researched or provided either statistic, so what exactly is your point?

People are doing bad things. Ok, we know this. How is this special in any way is what the other posters are asking.

It APPEARS from your first post that you were alluding to the fact that the Military has a much higher percentage of criminals in it's population than the US population. This would be the only way your post would make ANY sense at all. Others are asking for evidence of these claims and now you're just backpedalling.

PLEAASE SHOW ME EVIDENCE OF BACK PEDALLING IDIOTS, UNTIL THEN PLEASE RESPOND WITH REASONED ARGUMENTS.

ZaneNBK

Golden Member
Sep 14, 2000

PLEAASE SHOW ME EVIDENCE OF BACK PEDALLING IDIOTS, UNTIL THEN PLEASE RESPOND WITH REASONED ARGUMENTS.

Re-read my post. It's easy to shut everyone up. Provide the requested statistics (with links) to show any appreciable difference between the two populations. Refusing to do so simply weakens your case. That's just how it works. In any logical debate you can only argue based on facts. If no facts are present then it's simply an emotional argument and there will never be any clear outcome.

tnitsuj

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003

The fact that you changed your thread title seems to be pretty solid evidence of back pedaling. No?

burnedout

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Oops, thats right, any negative talk about the military and/or the administration is not only unpatriotic, but also claiming to be the enemy.

Wow what a "free" country this has become.
Not to take away from the victims of these crimes, but these are isolated incidents compared to once upon a time.

If you are tripping out over this, I suggest you read various 'blotter reports' from the 70s and early 80s. Blotter reports are available in the National Archives, by the way. At any rate, aside from making you sick, you'd probably demand disbanding our armed forces.

shuan24

Platinum Member
Jul 17, 2003

Now ignoring the last 2 lines of your until-then reasonable post, NO that is not what I was alluding to in my first post. My point was that military criminals should be weighed more heavily in regards to punishment than normal civilians , given their position. Committing a crime against another country's citizen ultimately looks bad upon our country, BECAUSE our military represents US.

How is that not a logical argument? Where do you see the fallacy? Why must there be flame, accusations and insults when responding??

shuan24

Platinum Member
Jul 17, 2003
Originally posted by: tnitsuj

The fact that you changed your thread title seems to be pretty solid evidence of back pedaling. No?

NO because it was apparently misleading and mis-interepreted, so I added words to it to make it clearer.

I dont understand the relationship between making words to make it clearer and back pedalling, which means to go back and deny words or change words. AND no, change words does not = adding words to clarify argument.