Our great military...SOME OF WHOM ARE acting like barbarians

shuan24

Platinum Member
Jul 17, 2003
US marine given 42-month prison term for Okinawa rape

Why are our soldiers, who supposedly hold honor, courage,...yada yada yada so highly, always committing these heinious crimes? Are these guys any better than baboons? Granted, they are only few bad apples in the bunch, but these people make our whole military and everything it stands for look bad. A 42 month prison term for raping a woman? And the only reason why its so long is because he hit her? Do people not see the injustice here?

The few, the proud, the baboons.

edit/ NOTICE THAT NOWHERE IN THIS POST AM I REFERRING TO THE WHOLE MILITARY. THIS IS IN CONTEXT OF THE CRIMINAL SOLDIERS ONLY.

edit/ I concede that the title is misleading, BUT, the post is definitely NOT.

tnitsuj

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
Ummm.....thier are over 1 million active personnel in the US military. I am sure in any subset of over 1 million people you will find people "acting like barbarians".

Nice attack on the military there...

Jan 12, 2003
Originally posted by: shuan24

Why are our soldiers, who supposedly hold honor, courage,...yada yada yada so highly, always committing these heinious crimes? Are these guys any better than baboons? Granted, they are only few bad apples in the bunch, but these people make our whole military and everything it stands for look bad. A 42 month prison term for raping a woman? And the only reason why its so long is because he hit her? Do people not see the injustice here?

[edit] to be more kind to the kids around here.

shuan24

Platinum Member
Jul 17, 2003
Oops, thats right, any negative talk about the military and/or the administration is not only unpatriotic, but also claiming to be the enemy.

Wow what a "free" country this has become.

A string of crimes committed by US soldiers, as well as disputes over the ownership and use of the land on which US military facilities sit, have made Okinawa residents reluctant hosts.

Obviously this was not an isolated incident, and the whole subset of 1 million soldiers do not reside on the Okinawa island. I'd have to stress that there also has been multiple reports of soldier's inappropriate actions in different parts of the world, not just in Japan.

tnitsuj

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
Oops, thats right, any negative talk about the military and/or the administration is not only unpatriotic, but also claiming to be the enemy.

A string of crimes committed by US soldiers, as well as disputes over the ownership and use of the land on which US military facilities sit, have made Okinawa residents reluctant hosts.

Obviously this was not an isolated incident, and the whole subset of 1 million soldiers do not reside on the Okinawa island. I'd have to stress that there also has been multiple reports of soldier's inappropriate actions in different parts of the world, not just in Japan.

That isn't negative talk. It is a spurious correlation at best. No one is accusing you of being a traitor or helping the enemy. Maybe of being less than insightful perhaps.

It is true that the military in Okinawa has had problems with sailors, marines, and airman commiting crimes. That does not mean the entire US military is comprised of barbarians or has a culture of criminals. Do you realize that most of these problems are from young junior enlisted personnel? They go off base, get drunk,and do bad things. This happens stateside as well. A lot of for example a junior division officer in the navies time is spent dealing with his or her sections f$CK ups.

The same will be found in ANY group of people, particularly when you add in the added complexities of dealing with a foriegn nation and a totally different culture.

Dec 27, 2001

Nobody's repressing your free speech, kid. Nobody called you "the enemy". We're just letting you know you're an idiot.

You're probably coping with an insecurity complex and thought you could get some self-assurance by posting an extreme radical liberal idea on a forum with such a liberal tone. You thought all the liberals would step up and announce their agreement with your post...with you, in essence.

tnitsuj

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
Originally posted by: HeroOfPellinor

Nobody's repressing your free speech, kid. Nobody called you "the enemy". We're just letting you know you're an idiot.

You're probably coping with an insecurity complex and thought you could get some self-assurance by posting an extreme radical liberal idea on a forum with such a liberal tone. You thought all the liberals would step up and announce their agreement with your post...with you, in essence.

That's not a liberal idea. That is just an ignorant one. Big difference there.

shuan24

Platinum Member
Jul 17, 2003
Also, in my defense, I am not trying to generalize. I do respect our military, and the soldiers as well.

I am merely pointing out that how many bad apples does it take to make the whole bunch bad? One? Maybe 2 or 3? Maybe out of 1 million soldiers, if 1% of them commit a serious crime, we're looking at 10,000 criminals! Of course I dont know the true percentage, but I am only offering a different opinion.

dpm

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2002
Oops, thats right, any negative talk about the military and/or the administration is not only unpatriotic, but also claiming to be the enemy. Wow what a "free" country this has become.

No, I'm not going to call you unpatriotic, or claim that you are aiding the enemy. No, I'm not a Conservative, but quite liberal.
But, even I can see that you are being unfair with your accusations. Yes, a rape is a hideous crime. Yes, 42 months doesn't sound like a very bad punishment for it. But to tar the entire US military with the same brush is deeply unfair.

I'm afraid that if you take any subset of men a million strong you are going to get cases like this. And armies are more disposed to this kind of evil, for obvious reasons. But to say that the whole US military is acting like Barbarians, is an uncalled for exageration.

tnitsuj

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
Also, in my defense, I am not trying to generalize. I do respect our military, and the soldiers as well.

I am merely pointing out that how many bad apples does it take to make the whole bunch bad? One? Maybe 2 or 3? Maybe out of 1 million soldiers, if 1% of them commit a serious crime, we're looking at 10,000 criminals! Of course I dont know the true percentage, but I am only offering a different opinion.

That is respectful? Try again.

tnitsuj

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
BTW: that 42 month sentence was handed down by a JAPANESE court. It isn't like the US military was trying to whitewash the incident (which to be fair they have done extensively in the past). The SOF agreement in Japan was changed to reflect local concerns and now US serviceman are turned over to the Japanese for crimes like these as they rightly should.

42 Months in a Japanese prison is well.....look up the environment in Japanese prisons and you might see the sentence in a different light.

shuan24

Platinum Member
Jul 17, 2003
LOL! I dont mind you (all) calling me an idiot. I feel that way too sometimes when I read your (again, generalizing) posts (thats what actually prompted me to register in the first place....couldnt fight the urge to point out how dumb that post was).

I dont consider my views radical, I actually consider myself a liberal conservative.

*the few, but the proud, baboons* minority that are part of a vast and great military, which are not too be generalized.

happy? :p

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000

I have a cousin in the USMC. Give me your address and I'll send it over to him with a copy of your moronic post.

Dec 27, 2001
LOL! I dont mind you (all) calling me an idiot. I feel that way too sometimes when I read your (again, generalizing) posts (thats what actually prompted me to register in the first place....couldnt fight the urge to point out how dumb that post was).

I dont consider my views radical, I actually consider myself a liberal conservative.

*the few, but the proud, baboons* minority that are part of a vast and great military, which are not too be generalized.

Now you're back-pedalling. At least before we just thought you were stupid...now you're coming off as a wimp too. Stand up for your idiotic beliefs, man.

And, hey, thanks for pointing out how dumb our posts are. You're obviously the right guy for the job.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Put things in perspective. Pick your favorite group.

Could be preachers, could be politicians, cops, dog catchers, Bush apologists ( :p ), and see how many cases of child molestation, theft, etc happen in that group. Now calculate the number of crimes committed by them per say, 100,000 and do the same for soldiers. I don't believe you would find any significant difference. Fact is that a bastage is a bastage, regardless of occupation.

What I do not understand is what prodded you to make this statement about soldiers in particular, when these crimes are committed in general?

Oh, btw, anyone (soldier, Clinton supporter, Bush apologist) who does such a dastardly deed needs to go away for a very long time.

shuan24

Platinum Member
Jul 17, 2003
Originally posted by: shinerburke

I have a cousin in the USMC. Give me your address and I'll send it over to him with a copy of your moronic post.

Wow thats the first time I've ever seen someone get threatened before (let alone me). There's no need, my brother-in-law already has it (who is also in the USMC).

I am not back pedalling, I agree with your posts, that they are minority. Thus, I dont mean to generalize (as in the WHOLE military or even a great majority). I'll admit I came off as generalizing, but I shouldve made it clear that is a small minority.

Yes, you make an excellent point WinstonSmith, unlike these others who have nothing better to say or contribute but to call me names, that the percentage is the same. However, it feels like that the crime is even worse when committed by someone that you trust, or someone who is supposedly to be respected. I guess nobody else feels that way too. Like the priest that was child molesting, his case seemed worse than anybody elses because he was in the position of respect, but instead he betrayed their trust.

Jan 12, 2003
Are you related to Boobdn? I think we have found one of his sons he claims is a member here.

Originally posted by: BOBDN

These morons all believe if you aren't stupid enough to have to join up to make a living you aren't a "real" American.

Their only real asset is the ease with which they're brainwashed. Makes them all perfect candidates to become grunts.

They need the "structure" of military life. They need someone to tell them how exactly to do everything. They don't possess the mental faculties to figure it out on their own.

Now that their brainwashing is complete they think they've made some "contribution."

The only contribution made was us contributing our tax dollars to keep these dullards employed until they could be taught how to march in a straight line.

So now all the losers who weren't capable of getting a real job and had to join the military (during peace time) are coming out of the woodwork.

Brainwashed delusional jar heads.

shuan24

Platinum Member
Jul 17, 2003

Now you're back-pedalling. At least before we just thought you were stupid...now you're coming off as a wimp too. Stand up for your idiotic beliefs, man.

And, hey, thanks for pointing out how dumb our posts are. You're obviously the right guy for the job.

Please dont call me names -- I never back-pedaled. In my first post, I said, "Granted, there are only a few bad apples in the bunch, but these people make our whole military look bad"

Get it? A few bad apples making the whole bunch sour. You may not see it that way. Like in the priest/child molester case, all it took was 1 priest and now the whole nation is thinking twice before dropping their kid off at sunday school.

shuan24

Platinum Member
Jul 17, 2003
C'mon JohnGalt, I thought you were a man of reason and logic, but all you have shown in this post was flame and insults.

I may not always agree with your/anybodys opinion, but no need to insult and flame, just point me out if you think i'm wrong.

Dec 27, 2001

Please dont call me names -- I never back-pedaled. In my first post, I said, "Granted, there are only a few bad apples in the bunch, but these people make our whole military look bad"

Get it? A few bad apples making the whole bunch sour. You may not see it that way. Like in the priest/child molester case, all it took was 1 priest and now the whole nation is thinking twice before dropping their kid off at sunday school.

Dude, have some self-respect and salvage some dignity...stop posting. Go live life for a few more years and come back and post when you actually have something to say.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Originally posted by: shinerburke

Wow thats the first time I've ever seen someone get threatened before (let alone me).

I am not back pedalling, I agree with your posts, that they are minority. Thus, I dont mean to generalize (as in the WHOLE military or even a great majority). I'll admit I came off as generalizing, but I shouldve made it clear that is a small minority.

Yes, you make an excellent point WinstonSmith, unlike these others who have nothing better to say or contribute but to call me names, that the percentage is the same. However, it feels like that the crime is even worse when committed by someone that you trust, or someone who is supposedly to be respected. I guess nobody else feels that way too. Like the priest that was child molesting, his case seemed worse than anybody elses because he was in the position of respect, but instead he betrayed their trust.

I think (if I am understanding you correctly) that your anger comes about because a what you view as a trust was violated. A trivial example is when I see the state troopers zipping around at a hundred mph here. Knowing some officer types, I can definitely say it's done whether they are on a call or not. They simply feel they are above the law. Who is going to ticket them? They then go and give tickets to those who go 80, and are rather self rightous about it.

The difference here, and one I would suggest you consider is that the great majority of Staties around here feel above the law in this regard. That does not apply to soldiers in general. Very few have the attitude of being able to rape or commit serious offenses. I can assure you that fellow soldiers found this guy reprehensible, and are keenly aware that his behavior reflects badly on them. OK, it reflects badly on them, but you should be able to divorce your feelings about THIS soldier, and those who conduct themselves responsibly.

I am sure you do not go around talking about "those blacks" because a disproportinate number of violent crimes are committed by blacks in the inner city. You would condem those who should be, but not sneer at some fellow classmate in college because he is black.

Be careful about generalizations.

Jan 12, 2003
C'mon JohnGalt, I thought you were a man of reason and logic, but all you have shown in this post was flame and insults.

I may not always agree with your/anybodys opinion, but no need to insult and flame, just point me out if you think i'm wrong.

Who insulted you?

shuan24

Platinum Member
Jul 17, 2003

Dude, have some self-respect and salvage some dignity...stop posting. Go live life for a few more years and come back and post when you actually have something to say.

I'm going to stop responding to your posts, because so far, you had only posted negative and insulting, therefore flaming responses. Everytime you insult me, I reinforce my argument, then instead of debating, you choose to insult again.

Now, WinstonSmith, you are absolutely correct about generalizations. That leads to prejudice and especially racism. I feel that perhaps our military should be alot more strict regarding criminal actions, and should definitely penalize those who commit crimes.