Our Enemies must love this

Ulfwald

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
May 27, 2000
I truly think that yesterday was a tragic day in America. The headline in today?s Washington Times has it right. ?Anthrax Panic Grips Capitol.?

For the first time that I can remember ? and I think the first time in the history of our country ? the Congress dropped everything and ran. Throughout the world we can find examples of parliaments and other governing bodies that have remained in session during times of war ? remained in session with bombs and rockets flying overhead.

I will promise you this. Around the world people who, for whatever reason, hate America are alternately cheering and laughing their asses off. The great and glorious United States House of Representatives has fled the nation?s capitol ? and they?re going to stay away until some grand Capitol Hill duct cleaning is completed.

Was there a certain threat? Hardly. Not one Congressman has reported the receipt of any anthrax letters in his office. House Speaker Dennis Hastert said that he had ?heard? there was anthrax in the ventilation system. It turned out to be untrue ? but run they did.

We?re at war. Now the people we have elected to represent us and to protect us from foreign aggression have run. They didn?t stay there and fight. They didn?t stay in Washington and stand by to offer all support to the President and our military.

I can tell you that a good number of my listeners and readers are more than disgusted. Just look at this e-mail I received last night:

The lily-livered bastards vacated the Capitol faster than the Kuwaitis fled their country after someone yelled INVASION!!

I have an idea. Got it from a listener. Let's replace the entire membership of the House of Representatives with New York City firemen and police officers. One group runs INTO a building when there's trouble ... the other runs out.

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001
They didn?t stay there and fight

Stay there and fight what? I'd honestly feel much worse about our congressmen and women if they were killed just to uphold their image...

Yo Ma Ma

Lifer
Jan 21, 2000
After learning of the plans for the "Greenbriar Bunker" (retreat for the congress, etc.) this sort of reaction is pretty much the standard operating procedure.

reitz

Elite Member
Oct 11, 1999
It's sad these people are the ones we want to depend on to win the War on Terrorism. They're telling us to band together and help out, while saying "Screw that..." and looking out for their own self-interests. :disgust:

brxndxn

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2001
It's not like they all scattered and ran - it's just merely a building... sorry but I'd rather the reps stay alive and act SMART... Imagine how terrible it would look if half of Congress contracted Anthrax and died!

They let the proper people fight Anthrax...

Spagina

Dec 31, 2000
No kidding, I'd rather see them alive than see half of them infected or killed by Anthrax. Think about it. If there is an anthrax threat, which cannot be seen, no sane person without the responsibilty to clear out the anthrax would stick around. No one is laughing at that. If they were laughing, then they are subconciously wishing our congress would be infected by Anthrax and killed.

Besides, there are other areas that our congress can convene at.

imhotepmp

Golden Member
Mar 23, 2000

<< The lily-livered bastards vacated the Capitol faster than the Kuwaitis fled their country after someone yelled INVASION!! >>

As opposed to doing what? Staying there and dying of anthrax? Either way, theyre going to get criticism...if theyd stayed and they did indeed get infected, most people would think that these reps would be viewed as total morons, as well as the american people by association(to the world that is), and if they leave, they're called cowards for running and scurrying away with their tails between their legs.

You're just like the people who called bush a coward for running away on Air Force one on the day of the attack. And for the record, I am not a fan of bush to say the least.

heh. Some people.

btw if you want to know my opinion(in case you already dont know) I think that was in no way a cowardly act, i think more along the lines of a common sense act.

<< . They're telling us to band together and help out, while saying "Screw that..." and looking out for their own self-interests. >>

By 'running away' as you guys say, they are in fact acting in the interest of the american people. Would they be able to continue their duties if they were dead?

EDIT: Didnt see this remark till after the post.

<< I have an idea. Got it from a listener. Let's replace the entire membership of the House of Representatives with New York City firemen and police officers. One group runs INTO a building when there's trouble ... the other runs out. >>

I for one think that statement is very very insulting and insensitve to the NYFD. Those firemen risked their own lives to SAVE OTHERS, so how in the fvck does that compare to someone leaving a fvcking buidling to save THEIR OWN LIVES. Your crude insensitive remark serves no other purpose than to belittle the heroism shown by them.
EDIT: I see that you didnt make that remark, although you seem to have no problem with it. So my statement stands.

Imhotep MP

Jfur

Diamond Member
Jul 9, 2001

<< They didn?t stay there and fight

Stay there and fight what? I'd honestly feel much worse about our congressmen and women if they were killed just to uphold their image...
>>

They could have continued session elsewhere. They embarrassed me, too. How shameful for them to put our soldiers on the front line (and all of us civilians, too, in a sense) but to scurry away at the first sign of a threat.

JonnyDuke

Jul 24, 2001
OMG!!! I can't believe some of you people! This is no Hollywood death and destruction thriller, THIS IS REALITY...these people have homes and family to take care of, which they cannot do if the contract Anthrax! I wouldn't have stayed, nor would I expect them to. They don't need to prove that "They're not afraid" or any other such nonsense.

RossGr

Diamond Member
Jan 11, 2000

<< The lily-livered bastards vacated the Capitol faster than the Kuwaitis fled their country after someone yelled INVASION!! >>

Sounds to me like you just volunteered for the job of opening the mail for all of congress.

I did not elect a congressman to be on the front lines. I expect congress and the president to be kept safe and healthy so they can to the job they were elected to perform. Taking an unschedualed day off will have little effect in the long run. This is not cowardis it is simpley doing the intellegent thing.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
It's sad these people are the ones we want to depend on to win the War on Terrorism. They're telling us to band together and help out, while saying "Screw that..." and looking out for their own self-interests

Exactly, each member of congress probably has an outside office for support where they can still work and do thier job. Hell come in on a Sunday for once. Testing the capitol should be priority and could be done in a timely manner.