Our album is finally out

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
What - no offer of an autographed alumni in exchange for a dick pic?

Thanks for sharing!

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
You guys stamping this thing on Vinyl or Compact Disc medium or whatever it is the kids use these days?

I'm going to purchase it via this...download whatever method? that I don't understand (old) but really just don't like very much....but is there also and/or some actual physical media way to purchase said music?

Asking for myself and some friends...who I'm forwarding this to because they are way into heady brain music like this. (well, you know me man--we're all Floyd/Dead/Phish head hippies and shit...I was always the Floyd guy, lol. I even once taught them that Radiohead was actually kind of cool and stuff)

Reactions: Platypus

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Thanks!

Lolno, that would be a huge downgrade :p

Downgrade? money wise...maybe, for a little while?

You only have one life, bro. And making good music is always, always, always going to be better than punching numbers. Always.

DownTheSky

Apr 7, 2013
You should post a track or two on youtube, making it easier for people to get acquainted with the band.

Btw I'm really digging it.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
You guys stamping this thing on Vinyl or Compact Disc medium or whatever it is the kids use these days?

I'm going to purchase it via this...download whatever method? that I don't understand (old) but really just don't like very much....but is there also and/or some actual physical media way to purchase said music?

Asking for myself and some friends...who I'm forwarding this to because they are way into heady brain music like this. (well, you know me man--we're all Floyd/Dead/Phish head hippies and shit...I was always the Floyd guy, lol. I even once taught them that Radiohead was actually kind of cool and stuff)
If this gets pressed to CD I might be forced to buy it a second time :(

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001

You only have one life, bro. And making good music is always, always, always going to be better than punching numbers. Always.
Making a living as a musician is hard, especially if you don't have broad appeal. Once you build up enough of a fan base to have a reliable Patreon, you can probably at least live off it... but someday you'll be old and need to retire :p

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Making a living as a musician is hard, especially if you don't have broad appeal. Once you build up enough of a fan base to have a reliable Patreon, you can probably at least live off it... but someday you'll be old and need to retire :p
Professional musicians also have to often compomise their music. Play the crowd favorites, change their sound to the way the label wants it. I think Platypus is very good at his profession and I think he has some fun with it too and makes a decent living, so, nothing wrong with having a day job and then letting the wild animal come out at night.

Platypus

Lifer
Apr 26, 2001

Yeah downgrade money wise for sure. I guarantee you my life as a professional hacker will never let me down there compared to being a touring musician. Way less physical work too ;)

I will still always find time for music and playing shows, but I don't want it to be a career. Making your hobbies into careers has a funny way of making you hate them. I fucking hate computers now, but they keep me gainfully employed ;)

Platypus

Lifer
Apr 26, 2001

Honestly I don't think so, but maybe if the sales can justify us pressing a vinyl we will. There's zero point to making physical CDs anymore in my opinion, we'd like something "physical" for shows for people to buy, but getting vinyl pressed is a pretty big $ commitment.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Honestly I don't think so, but maybe if the sales can justify us pressing a vinyl we will. There's zero point to making physical CDs anymore in my opinion, we'd like something "physical" for shows for people to buy, but getting vinyl pressed is a pretty big $ commitment.

You might find some cost effective small custom flash drives you can logo and prload with Flying Potion tracks, and maybe some misc clips from gigs or music videos or demo recording or practice session jams or some other "bonus material"

I mean, flash drives are handy, so selling one with a logo on it might get you a few bucks, however, I suspect the "up front" costs can be prohibitive, and small batches are likely expensive ...

I've seen a few bands do this, but, not very many ... I'm still the oddball that buys CDs though ...

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Nice. I'm going to pick it up. Your lead singer reminds me of JoJo Hermann from Widespread Panic.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
What the hell?

Here's a completely random album drop from a [semi]regular internet forum user, and honestly I always go into this scenario with extreme hesitation expecting a poor amateur mimicry. It usually needs some ability to turn off your rationality, because otherwise it'd be a "to listen to more than a few seconds of this is going to make me physically ill" type situation.

Let me revise my opening query:
What the hell?!

This album here, is not that.
This album is refreshing, because it is wonderful and organic.

Thank you, Platypus, for both creating and sharing this!

I feel that the slightest touch from producers could take your band to uncharted heights. Y'all got plans to market yourselves? Gigs and whatnot?
Hell, got a backstory thread somewhere? I feel like I must have missed a few of them and I'll have you know that makes me feel bad man.

Platypus

Lifer
Apr 26, 2001
Thanks! No real backstory, I've been jamming with various people for years and ended up with these guys in late 2015. We play shows locally in Chicago for the last few years, but once every few months or so. Hopefully now that we have the record out, we'll be doing more promoting and shows.. but I don't see this blowing up to be a nationwide tour or anything quite yet ;)

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Thanks! No real backstory, I've been jamming with various people for years and ended up with these guys in late 2015. We play shows locally in Chicago for the last few years, but once every few months or so. Hopefully now that we have the record out, we'll be doing more promoting and shows.. but I don't see this blowing up to be a nationwide tour or anything quite yet ;)

Give it a couple years ;)