Ouch!!! New pictures show second Chinese stealth fighter being test flown. :(

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MaxPayne63

Dec 19, 2011
As an American taxpayer I am outraged that something I paid for could have such shoddy workmanship.

sjwaste

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2000
Have any of you stopped to think that it's just a regular jet in primer grey? Like a CRX...

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
im not afraid of the chinese military, im just afraid our military will use this shit as an excuse to develop more useless equipment. and then tell us we dont have a couple hundred thousand to spend on PBS, while pressing for more 100 million dollar planes that dont have a suitable enemy.

Demo24

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2004
Fc6R5.png

marvdmartian

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2002
Stealth look/shape does not necessarily equate with stealthiness to radar. Probably painted with lead paint, anyways. :rolleyes:

dud

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
What more proof does the wotld need that the Chinese are the worst thieves in the history of the planet? I was totally shocked when I first saw photos of "their" other stealth plane. It looks nothing like anythung our military has recently put out.

dennilfloss

Past Lifer 1957-2014 In Memoriam
Oct 21, 1999
dennilfloss.blogspot.com
Nice thing about the Chinese copying our stuff is we'd already know its weaknesses and how to successfully engage it, rather than being surprised when we encounter it in combat.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
What more proof does the wotld need that the Chinese are the worst thieves in the history of the planet? I was totally shocked when I first saw photos of "their" other stealth plane. It looks nothing like anythung our military has recently put out.

yeah, but in this case, it's like they are copying the Apple Lisa.

Not concerned...

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
Nice thing about the Chinese copying our stuff is we'd already know its weaknesses and how to successfully engage it, rather than being surprised when we encounter it in combat.
Combat won't be a problem. The Chinese can't see over the controls.

Mermaidman

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2003
So you get a fighter in the basic shape of a stealth. However, it has no stealth properties. Forward canards are huge radar signatures (J-20), so are exhaust nozzles. No thrust vectoring or supercruise and the engines are a disaster. It probably doesn't have stealth coating, its radar is probably very sub-par.

So really, all this is is a very unrealiable fighter that was made to look stealth but has no properties of a modern fighter. lol.

It's kinda like kids doodling pictures of fighters and tanks. "Ooh, that looks coooool! I'm gonna add another gun right . . . here."

Farmer

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2003
I like how everyone here assumes that the Chinese have absolutely no technical knowledge and simply made a plane that "looks stealthy." And I'm sure you're all experts in stealth aircraft design?

Go look at the fraction of engineering and science Ph.D. students in America in the best programs, you'd be surprised at how many of them come from the PRC. Given today's economic environment, the vast majority of these people will return to China after completing their degrees.

Look at the Russian PAK-FA, which is the Russian equivalent for this Chinese 5th generation, and compare it against the F22. F22: $70 billion R&D, $150 million per unit; PAK FA: $20 billion R&D, $70 million per unit. To say nothing about the failures of the F22 program, you're comparing a BMW to a Toyota.

Last edited:

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
don't worry. you can all hide behind your obama while he whistles one of his soaring vacuous say nothing speeches.

Shlong

Diamond Member
Mar 14, 2002
China won't have shoddy craftsmanship forever, Japan & Korea had similar problems (Datsun, Hyundai) but that's not the case anymore, over time it'll get better as living conditions and education improve.

Unmanned fighters are the future though, remote controlled aircraft and you can build them where they can have pull off maneuvers and handle G's that could kill a pilot (future remote pilots could be whoever the best are at video games and micromanagement with quick reactions eventually replaced with AI).

Last edited:

PieIsAwesome

Diamond Member
Feb 11, 2007
They went from making clones of Russian jets (except for the engines, they couldn't duplicate those so they had to buy them) to now producing 5th gen stealth fighters? Okay. Whatever they say.

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
I like how everyone here assumes that the Chinese have absolutely no technical knowledge and simply made a plane that "looks stealthy." And I'm sure you're all experts in stealth aircraft design?

Go look at the fraction of engineering and science Ph.D. students in America in the best programs, you'd be surprised at how many of them come from the PRC. Given today's economic environment, the vast majority of these people will return to China after completing their degrees.

Look at the Russian PAK-FA, which is the Russian equivalent for this Chinese 5th generation, and compare it against the F22. F22: $70 billion R&D, $150 million per unit; PAK FA: $20 billion R&D, $70 million per unit. To say nothing about the failures of the F22 program, you're comparing a BMW to a Toyota.

Russian aeronautical industry has some 60 years of experience, Chinese have maybe 20... all of which come from russia.

Last I heard they still can't produce monocrystalline fan blades and have to source the engines from russia.

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
Can someone throw up a picture of a made FOR America F22?