Ouch, I am going to witness my 8 day old son

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Kenazo

Lifer
Sep 15, 2000
Originally posted by: waggy
Originally posted by: dpopiz
it doesn't hurt. babies don't have enough nerve endings there yet to feel anything.
then again adult circumcision...now that's bad.

god you are an idiot. i prey you never have kids.

I'm all against circumcisions. there is NO real need to have it done. long as the child learns proper hygiene then ti should be fine.

uh oh.

bradruth

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
Originally posted by: TheToOTaLL
Originally posted by: coldcut

Better then him getting it when he is 20 years old or something like that.

Any of you see that episode of Nip/Tuck??? :Q

That was the first episode I saw. Needless to say, I didn't watch again after that.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Originally posted by: Kenazo
Originally posted by: waggy
Originally posted by: dpopiz
it doesn't hurt. babies don't have enough nerve endings there yet to feel anything.
then again adult circumcision...now that's bad.

god you are an idiot. i prey you never have kids.

I'm all against circumcisions. there is NO real need to have it done. long as the child learns proper hygiene then ti should be fine.

uh oh.

Maybe its a subliminal thing. Preying on him if he has kids;):p

MaxDepth

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2001
Speaking as a whore about town, the European girls really liked me because I bathed everyday than whether or not I was chopped. Although, most liked it better with the foresking gone.

But I had heard from my male friends that those of us without the foreskin are missing out because that skin had like a bajillion nerve endings that enchance our pleasure. Howerver, I have yet to find anyone who can tell me they know the difference (in having sex) first hand.

SagaLore

Elite Member
Dec 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Mwilding
Originally posted by: CT2TXtech
circumcised. ouch, i heard they just cut him w/o any anesthesia. Seems so cruel.:Q

nothing like a little ritualized mutilation to start off a life... :|

King of like earrings and tatooes...

jcuadrado

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 1999
There are no advantages whatsoever....I think it's useless mutilation personally....

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Originally posted by: MaxDepth
Speaking as a whore about town, the European girls really liked me because I bathed everyday than whether or not I was chopped. Although, most liked it better with the foresking gone.

But I had heard from my male friends that those of us without the foreskin are missing out because that skin had like a bajillion nerve endings that enchance our pleasure. Howerver, I have yet to find anyone who can tell me they know the difference (in having sex) first hand.

Most guys with are smart enough not to chop it off later in life.

sweettart

Nov 23, 2003
Originally posted by: dxkj
What percentage of American born males are circumcised shortly after birth?

I did a speech on this topic in my college speech class. I found out that around 80% of males are circumcised in the U.S. but only 18 percent of males worldwide are circumcised. There are quite a few risks involved with circumcision with very negligible health benefits. Here are a few links I used in forming my speech against a harmful useless surgery.

This link will let you download a video of an actual circumcision.

This site shows pics of the procedure with links to the risks involved.

Don't circumcise your baby boys.

Rage187

Lifer
Dec 30, 2000
we need a POLL

Circumsized at birth?

Circumsized later in life?

Not Circumsized

I'm a chick or a he-she and want to see the results.

JackDawkins

Aug 15, 2003
Why is circumcision considered ritualized mutilation by some? It is just the cutting of the foreskin off of the penis. What's ritualistic about it when it's not done in conjunction with any ceremony or religious faith (I know sometimes that it is but I'm not referring to that, I referring to the simple medical procedure)? What's mutilating about it when there's no loss of limb or other important body part?

I don't have a son, I have a daughter, but I've thought about what I would do if I had a son. I probably won't circumsize him, even though I am circumsized, because as has been previously said hygene isn't really an issue any more, and I don't have any real reason to have it done. But that doesn't mean that a father wanting his son to be like he is isn't a valid reason and I'm not going to call some father a ritualistic mutilator because he decides he wants his son circumsized.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Originally posted by: JackDawkins
Why is circumcision considered ritualized mutilation by some? It is just the cutting of the foreskin off of the penis. What's ritualistic about it when it's not done in conjunction with any ceremony or religious faith (I know sometimes that it is but I'm not referring to that, I referring to the simple medical procedure)? What's mutilating about it when there's no loss of limb or other important body part?

I don't have a son, I have a daughter, but I've thought about what I would do if I had a son. I probably won't circumsize him, even though I am circumsized, because as has been previously said hygene isn't really an issue any more, and I don't have any real reason to have it done. But that doesn't mean that a father wanting his son to be like he is isn't a valid reason and I'm not going to call some father a ritualistic mutilator because he decides he wants his son circumsized.

Ok, lets chop off your pinkie since you don't use that finger very much either except when typing
rolleye.gif
Its mutlization because there's no good reason for it. In the old days Chinese bound up their daughters' feet to make them smaller. Is that ok if mom had her bound as well? I think not. What about female circumcision? Sure it may be more "cruel" but that does mean male circumcision should be any more acceptable.

Dec 27, 2001
A group of urologists from University of California at San Diego, (Niku, SD et al, Neonatal Circumcision, Urologic Clinics of North America, 22(1):57-65, February 1995), having thoroughly reviewed the evidence concluded, "Circumcision is usually a safe and simple operation when performed by an experienced operator. Its disadvantages are short-term, and its advantages are long-term. The medical benefits of circumcision appear to exceed the risks of the procedure."

I've heard, from friends with sons, that their sons slept through it. But, hey, if you want to turn a penis from an afterthought into something, like a vagina, that has to be maintained, then, go for it. I can see and understand the case not to (it hurts the baby), but so do immunizations. But the long term benefits psychologically and physiologically outweigh, for me, the negatives. You can have a different opinion, but why do you have to imply that anybody for circumcision is a barbarian when you're, obviously, not very educated on the topic?

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Originally posted by: HeroOfPellinor
A group of urologists from University of California at San Diego, (Niku, SD et al, Neonatal Circumcision, Urologic Clinics of North America, 22(1):57-65, February 1995), having thoroughly reviewed the evidence concluded, "Circumcision is usually a safe and simple operation when performed by an experienced operator. Its disadvantages are short-term, and its advantages are long-term. The medical benefits of circumcision appear to exceed the risks of the procedure."

I've heard, from friends with sons, that their sons slept through it. But, hey, if you want to turn a penis from an afterthought into something, like a vagina, that has to be maintained, then, go for it. I can see and understand the case not to (it hurts the baby), but so do immunizations. But the long term benefits psychologically and physiologically outweigh, for me, the negatives. You can have a different opinion, but why do you have to imply that anybody for circumcision is a barbarian when you're, obviously, not very educated on the topic?

That still tells me nothing. Doctors agree? So what? What evidence do they have? What evidence is there that the advantages aren't achievable via simply hygiene? I see no number or figured. And if the advantages are really that great, then most of the rest of the world should be severely diseased and dying, correct?

Booster

Diamond Member
May 4, 2002
circumcised. ouch, i heard they just cut him w/o any anesthesia. Seems so cruel.:Q

And what if he won't believe in your faith - maybe you should give him the right of choice, like God gives us all? I mean, to believe or not. I say, leave his d*ck alone, man. Think what will happen if one day he'll want to revenge for crippling him. If he chooses to do it later, it's his business, but don't decide for him. I mean, what if he won't even believe in God? How do you know? This is permanent and it does change a man's life.

Amorphus

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2003
Originally posted by: sweettart

I did a speech on this topic in my college speech class. I found out that around 80% of males are circumcised in the U.S. but only 18 percent of males worldwide are circumcised. There are quite a few risks involved with circumcision with very negligible health benefits. Here are a few links I used in forming my speech against a harmful useless surgery.

The baby is capable of an erection? :confused:

From the second link.

BadNewsBears

Diamond Member
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: NutBucket
Originally posted by: amcdonald
Originally posted by: MercenaryForHire
Originally posted by: Mwilding

nothing like a little ritualized mutilation to start off a life... :|

Agreed. Why any civilized culture still does this is beyond me.

- M4H
Because anteaters are ugly.

If that's your only reason you should look into it. The health benefits are so slight its negligible. Plus, he's losing thousands of useful nerve endings;) If this isn't for religious reasons I'd think twice about it. Also, we are the only western country that does this on a mass scale. That means that Western Europe et. al. do not circumcise.
Thats why the american girls are so much more upbeat.

BadNewsBears

Diamond Member
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Booster

And what if he won't believe in your faith - maybe you should give him the right of choice, like God gives us all? I mean, to believe or not. I say, leave his d*ck alone, man. Think what will happen if one day he'll want to revenge for crippling him. If he chooses to do it later, it's his business, but don't decide for him. I mean, what if he won't even believe in God? How do you know? This is permanent and it does change a man's life.

Or maybe it has nothing to do with religion at all you wanker.

Ranger X

Lifer
Mar 18, 2000
Why is everyone so passionate about what other people are doing to their baby boys? SO WHAT?! It's not your baby. If they want to do it, let them. If they allow their boys to keep their foreskins, then let them.

The statistics of circumcision in the United States is dropping as hygiene seems less of an issue nowadays. 80% seems high as I had expected it to be around 75% or less.

WhiteKnight

Platinum Member
May 21, 2001
Originally posted by: Amorphus
Originally posted by: sweettart

The baby is capable of an erection? :confused:

From the second link.

Erections are in fact very common even among infants. It is not related to pleasureable stimulation, but I believe that it's just a natural occurance.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Originally posted by: Ranger X
Why is everyone so passionate about what other people are doing to their baby boys? SO WHAT?! It's not your baby. If they want to do it, let them. If they allow their boys to keep their foreskins, then let them.

The statistics of circumcision in the United States is dropping as hygiene seems less of an issue nowadays. 80% seems high as I had expected it to be around 75% or less.

Because you have what you have for a reason. The foresekin is there to protect the head. Would you remove your fingernails so that you would never have to worry about cutting them or cleaning under them? Same principle.

Sealy

Platinum Member
Aug 4, 2002
Well....when our son was circumsized, and it had nothing to do with religious reasons at all, they completely used anethesia.

We went to a specialized clinic and we were there for over an hour. When we got there, they put some numbing cream on him and put a bandage over it. Then we sat in the waiting room for an hour while the cream worked on numbing him.

During that hour, we got educated in what exactly the dr. was going to do, and how to treat him after.

When it was time, he went in and lay down on the table, and they then gave him two shots of anesthesia. Which he did'nt feel at all. Then they did the circumcision. They gave us a brown sugar and grapefruit juice covered gauze for him to suck on...to distract him.

The actual snip took 2 seconds! He did'nt cry once, in fact when we brought him back into the waiting room, he looked at all the people and started laughing....so I guess he's no worse for wear.

As for the question of what girls prefer....for me it's circumsized. That is only based on my own personal experience.

Dec 27, 2001
Originally posted by: Ranger X

Yeah, if you want to kill him before he's born, then, go ahead, but GOD FORBID you snip some skin off his penis!!!!!

Sealy

Platinum Member
Aug 4, 2002
Originally posted by: NutBucket
I'm disappointed in you Sealy.....

Poor Al:(

Well NutBucket...I'm quite comfortable with my decision, and I'm not going to justify anything to anyone. I put my story on here, so those who had no idea how the surgery was done could see that it's not always done without anethesia.

You'll find that when you have kids one day, you'll have a million people around you telling you how, what, and why you should do things to, for or with your child! You just have to take it with a grain of salt, and do what YOU think is the best thing for YOUR child. :)

You are perfectly entitled to your opinion...but I'm perfectly entitled not to care :)