OTA update fails on rooted Samsung S4 - please help

squarecut1

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2013
I have Verzion Samsung S4. I rooted it with Kingroot a while back.

Now the latest OTA update fails to install. I then removed the root using the Kingroot PC application. However the OTA update still fails to install.

Please let me know how can I install the OTA update, or if there is any workaround to it?

Thanks in advance.

shabby

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Not sure if the s4's had knox back in the day but usually on new galaxy's the ota fails if it detects that a phone was rooted, removing it doesn't solve the issue either. Might as well look for the new firmware on xda and flash it manually, you will probably lose all your data so you'll need root to back it up.

squarecut1

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2013
By new firmware, do you mean the stock firmware?

Also, how about factory reset? Will that be successful on the phone in this state?

JeffMD

Platinum Member
Feb 15, 2002
lolz... in order to gain root you had to modify system files. The updater verifies files before updating them.. if they are not what they should be then it will not continue. Either unroot if you can, or reflash to an official ROM.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
cant do OTA updates on a rooted phone, just go grab cyanogen or whatever firmware suits your tastes thats based on a new android kernel and call it a day.

Or back to stock but non stock firmware probably has newer OS and features.