OTA HD Receiver - HTPC or otherwise

edro

Lifer
Apr 5, 2002
I am getting rid of DirecTV soon.
My TV is actually a 42" "monitor" and it doesn't have a tuner built in.

I want the cheapest, best way to get OTA HD channels with an HD antenna.
It might be an HTPC, or a used Tivo box, or AppleTV/Roku, or something like that.

HTPC sounds like overkill for my needs, but if that's the best/cheapest alternative, I could go that route.

I don't NEED DVR or internet streaming, but those would be nice if they came along for free.

Suggestions!?

Thanks!

kalrith

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2005
This is the only OTA DVR without a subscription service that I know of: http://www.amazon.com/Channel-Master.../dp/B0065EQ45U

When I built my HTPC, it was between the Dish DTV Pal and an HTPC. I didn't want a TIVO, because it seemed like a waste of money at about half the price of the cheapest Dish Network HD package. The HTPC won, because it was about $150 more than the Dish DTV Pal and so much more useful.

OP, while an HTPC might seem overkill for what you want, I think it's your best option. The internet streaming and dual-tuner DVR that you can have will give you a lot more enjoyment than just an OTA tuner. My wife and I use our HTPC for things like ESPN3, Food Network shows, Bravo shows, etc.

When I went shopping for an HTPC, I gave myself a budget of 6 months' worth of satellite payments. If you do the same, you'll likely have no problems getting a decent HTPC to meet all your needs.

edro

Lifer
Apr 5, 2002
Why are OTA HD Converter boxes so cheap ($40), yet OTA receivers to HDMI are so expensive ($130+ and made by generic companies)?

I wonder if there is an OTA converter box that has RCA/Coax output as well as HDMI?

Kwatt

Golden Member
Jan 3, 2000
I am getting rid of DirecTV soon.
My TV is actually a 42" "monitor" and it doesn't have a tuner built in.

I want the cheapest, best way to get OTA HD channels with an HD antenna.
It might be an HTPC, or a used Tivo box, or AppleTV/Roku, or something like that.

HTPC sounds like overkill for my needs, but if that's the best/cheapest alternative, I could go that route.

I don't NEED DVR or internet streaming, but those would be nice if they came along for free.

Suggestions!?

Thanks!

Some dvd players/recorders have a built in OTA HD tuner. AT member CHJF has one. I think he is happy with it. I cannot remember what he paid for it.

sixone

Lifer
May 3, 2004
I have this one.

The only thing I don't like about it is not being able to block specific sub-channels. Either you get them all, or none.

Sep 12, 2004
Based on some of the OTA receivers some are suggesting, you might want to take a look at this one:

http://www.epvision.com/HDTVSTB/phdvrxmain.htm

It has dual tuners, DVR, you can stream to it using TVersity, and it has some limited internet streaming functions too, all for $230. It looks like they keep it pretty up-to-date as well since there have been a couple of firmware updates for it in the last few months.

sixone

Lifer
May 3, 2004
Based on some of the OTA receivers some are suggesting, you might want to take a look at this one:

It has dual tuners, DVR, you can stream to it using TVersity, and it has some limited internet streaming functions too, all for $230. It looks like they keep it pretty up-to-date as well since there have been a couple of firmware updates for it in the last few months.

That looks pretty good. I might have to pick one up.

kalrith

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2005
Some dvd players/recorders have a built in OTA HD tuner. AT member CHJF has one. I think he is happy with it. I cannot remember what he paid for it.

Last time I checked there were some old Toshiba DVD recorders with built-in OTA HD tuner and Tivo basic for about $80. Tivo Basic has no monthly fee, but I think the recording function is very limited. It's at least another option to consider.

sixone

Lifer
May 3, 2004
Last time I checked there were some old Toshiba DVD recorders with built-in OTA HD tuner and Tivo basic for about $80. Tivo Basic has no monthly fee, but I think the recording function is very limited. It's at least another option to consider.

I've been reading about Tivos, lately. If you have a channel that you like that gets a weak signal, you may not be able to get it at all with a Tivo.

Just something to consider.

sixone

Lifer
May 3, 2004

I've been reading up on that device: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=199469

Some serious issues, not sure I want to mess with this. Add in the cost of external storage, and it's not quite as good as it looked, at first blush.

MikeL DISH

Nov 3, 2012
kalrith,

Your post caught my attention and I just wanted to check in with you as to how you're liking the service! I hope you're enjoying the equipment and programming and would be delighted to know of any questions you may have!