OTA Antenna recommendation

rsutoratosu

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2011
I have one of those 360/omni direction ota antenna but its not picking up cbs/nbc all the time. I probably need to replace it with a better one. Seems all the high gain one requires power for booster. Some even have remote to turn it ? not sure why..

any recommendation for this ?

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Of course the problem could always be your location and the broadcast range of those particular stations. Even moving a few blocks within the same town could significantly alter your reception. I assume you've already defaulted to changing locations for the antenna within the room, the house, and tried elevating it as high as you could?

I've tried several designs and I've found that for any HD signal, regular radioshack $5 bunny ears seem to work just as well as the sleek flat ones with powered signal boosters--location all being the same. Those parallel (to the ground) antennas do seem to perform better, though. Especially if you get them up high. (what herm0016 posted ^)

I think what makes the real difference is: height, running a parallel antenna. I was a bit fortunate that my house came with a ~50 foot+ large antenna attached way up on the roof. I think it's higher...I dunno. The thing is probably 40 or 50 years old, but it gets the job done for what signals I have available.

http://www.overtheairdigitaltv.com/tv-station-locator-tool/

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
good points zin.

a yagi or super yagi has much better gain than a stick, I am an amateur radio op, and built a breakdown yagi for camping and search and rescue work. The boxes on the wall and flat things and rabbit ears have very little difference in gain because of the form factor, despite their marketing.

If the signals for your area are directional, the EZ-HD will be much much better than an omni-directional antenna like the boxes/ rabbit ears. spend a few min aiming it with a compass.

our major broadcasters were about 180 degrees out so we approximated aiming it parallel to a line between the 2 and got a lot of channels despite our terrain and foothills between us and each of the broadcast areas. boulder to denver/ boulder to ft. collins.

WilliamM2

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2012
TV reception can be strange. I use this antenna:
https://www.amazon.com/Winegard-Fre...negard+indoor&qid=1556817226&s=gateway&sr=8-4

I use it indoors, and it gets great a signal. Oddly, I have to set it on the floor in the corner. If I raise it more than 1 foot off the floor, it won't get any stations. It also has to face a different direction when it's hot out, than when it's cold. That's why it's inside, I didn't want to have to buy a rotor.

rsutoratosu

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2011
Thanks.. so I found the OTA antenna I bought like 8 years ago, according to the website, its a 35 mile range antenna, and i'm 8.4 miles away, The existing antenna is high up on the roof, on top of a pole thats strap up the chimney.. I haven't used it in a while because I dont get those stations but now that its spring, ill hook things back up and retry it.

1557406828047.png