OT

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

compudog

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2001
Mike, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family in this difficult time. Hopefully everything works out. I always worry when we go somewhere and think of our two kids getting hurt in an accident.

GeoffS

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Mike... my thought and prayers are also with you and your family... drop me a line via email if there's anything I can do to help as I'm not here very often anymore

Geoff

Crazee

Elite Member
Nov 20, 2001
Wow Mike, I am sorry to hear about this, but glad to know that everyone is going to be alright. Shoot me a PM here or at the Team Enterprise boards if there is anything I can do. I will be out of town Thursday thru Thursday, but I will check in from time to time.

Wolfsraider

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2002
Today i walked to work. its a whopping 6-10 min walk lol. I really enjoyed it.

The sun was shining and I got to see all the changes going on along the path to work. The city really is pushing to get everything changed.

At work I was left to do my job and for the first time I got alot of work accomplished. I wasn't asked to do anything just what I was scheduled to do, Put product out.

It was nice hearing everyone complement us on a great move and a beautiful store. Most could not believe that we moved so fast, lol the only complaint we got was for the steam carpet cleaner as its still at the old store.

The accident seems to have brought our family closer together too! Its really nice seeing the children show care and concern to each other.

Today gets an A+

Thank you all for the kind words :) It has meant a lot!
Mike

Wolfsraider

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2002
Peter, Geoff, Will, Compudog, Johan, Christian, Jim, Pokey, Ray, Cupcak3, Hurricane Andrew, Mark, Fullmetal Chocobo, Gleem,Spacehead, Coquito, And all of my teammates that read this,

THANK YOU for everything :)

A :beer: for all of you!

RaySun2Be

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Glad to hear you and your family had a good day! You've certainly earned it. :)

:beer::thumbsup:

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Originally posted by: amdxborg
Wow Mike, I'm so sorry to hear but I'm so glad they're all OK!! I hope they all recover in no time.

I hate people taking chances and putting other people's lifes on the line. :|

Took the words out of my mouth.

deerslayer

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
Glad to hear your family is okay. Things can be replaced and money can be made, but loved ones are irreplaceable.

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Mike
Sorry to hear about this ,bad news indeed!:( ,but glad to hear that no one was seriously hurt.
Btw I'm curious ,don't you have to have car insurance your side of the pond?:Q

Also your work was only a 10min walk away & you used to drive it? lol! ;)

This reminds me of the crash a friend (my landlady) had just before xmas.Though it was different circumstances.
She was driving down a triple lane carriageway late at night ,(this section is unlite btw) ,going around a sweeping LH curve doing about 70 mph (our legal limit,you could technically go much faster round that bend) when she suddenly noticed a car with no lights on broadside across the road! ,she tried to swerve round it but didn't have time to avoid it.As I understand it she hit that car pretty much at full speed as she didn't have time to brake either.

She ended up with fractured sternum (front of rib cage),broken collar bone ,broken ankle & a broken wrist (on opposite sides).Luckily she had no internal injuries but she was in hospital for over 2mths & struggled to get around for another month :(.
She's pretty much ok now except the collar bone injury is still aching alot & she had to have her ankle pinned which has restricted its movement a little.

Afterwards she found out that the car she hit had lost control on that corner (god knows how as you could do 90 mph around that bend without pushing any modern average saloon too hard!) ,smashed into the barrier ending up broadside across the carriageway just seconds before.Pre-sumably either smashing the front lights or the battery(?).

I didn't see her car after the crash ,a Honda (ironically) S2000 convertible,but her father said he was surprised she got out alive! ,having said that she did say she wouldn't let the fire brigade damage the car further by cutting the roof off, to get her out ,lol (she didn't know what state the car was in) & she operated the roof as usual to open it.

Wolfsraider

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2002
Originally posted by: Assimilator1
Mike
Sorry to hear about this ,bad news indeed!:( ,but glad to hear that no one was seriously hurt.
Btw I'm curious ,don't you have to have car insurance your side of the pond?:Q

Yes Insurance is mandatory on this side, I hadn''t been driving the truck much, wasn't working, so to save money and to pay down some credit cards I let it lapse, oh what an idiot I am!

Also your work was only a 10min walk away & you used to drive it? lol! ;)

I have been lazy, I am 50% disabled ( I know, most don't know that, I had back surgery 18 years ago and I have been having a lot of trouble with my back, I had gained almot 90 lbs over the last 5 years and its causes me to hurt more. I am back on track now Weighed in at 224.5 today Woot!!!!! (had 2 regular hamburgers and a small coke today and was back to 226 though). Most of my muscles are straining to keep up after 5 years of sitting around. BenGay is my new best friend lol

I come home worn out but happy that my back isnt killing me but actually its getting better, my legs ache the most though.

This reminds me of the crash a friend (my landlady) had just before xmas.Though it was different circumstances.
She was driving down a triple lane carriageway late at night ,(this section is unlite btw) ,going around a sweeping LH curve doing about 70 mph (our legal limit,you could technically go much faster round that bend) when she suddenly noticed a car with no lights on broadside across the road! ,she tried to swerve round it but didn't have time to avoid it.As I understand it she hit that car pretty much at full speed as she didn't have time to brake either.

She ended up with fractured sternum (front of rib cage),broken collar bone ,broken ankle & a broken wrist (on opposite sides).Luckily she had no internal injuries but she was in hospital for over 2mths & struggled to get around for another month :(.
She's pretty much ok now except the collar bone injury is still aching alot & she had to have her ankle pinned which has restricted its movement a little.

Afterwards she found out that the car she hit had lost control on that corner (god knows how as you could do 90 mph around that bend without pushing any modern average saloon too hard!) ,smashed into the barrier ending up broadside across the carriageway just seconds before.Pre-sumably either smashing the front lights or the battery(?).

I didn't see her car after the crash ,a Honda (ironically) S2000 convertible,but her father said he was surprised she got out alive! ,having said that she did say she wouldn't let the fire brigade damage the car further by cutting the roof off, to get her out ,lol (she didn't know what state the car was in) & she operated the roof as usual to open it.

Ouch! I know my family got off very lucky and that it was minor damage for a totaled vehicle.

Aniva went to get her stitches out today and they told her 2 more days everyone else is fully recovered Thank goodness.

The wife was very irritable for the first few days, But I told her all the things that have gone wrong could have been SO much worse and that we are very fortunate that as bad as it seems at times, we didnt lose a child, or have one severly injured. I am so thankful for that and that every setback we have had are minor in the scope of life.

Even here there are many that have suffered worse fates and are dealing with them daily, I hold those like Dave and Jim and Megan in the utmost regard. They walk a path I doubt I could walk and they do it with without batting an eye. I am sure there are many more here that do so as well, Its why i love being a part of this team, that and great friends and Teammates I have made here.

So A :wine: to all those that deal with life and Walk on!

Mike

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
Thanks for the good news, Mike! :D
We are with you and your family,
rose.gif
and give my regards to your wife and daughter! :sun:

Wolfsraider

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2002
Will do!!

hug them of yours and tell we wish them and you well :)

And congrats on the move and the missus! :)

Wiz

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
Wow Mike,

I've been away due to work - just read this thread.
I'm so glad all are OK, that really is the main thing!

If your kids are anything like mine they will have some fears about driving after an accident.

Our car was in a sandwich on I-5 south by Wild Waves a few years ago. Me, my 6 kids, wife & our dogs all in a minivan It wasn't high speed, but it was traumatic enough.
My car was also totaled, but I've maintained insurance with the same agent for about 25 years so that part of the hassle wasn't as bad as it could have been. Now my rates are higher than they were before. They always manage to get you, just for being involved in an accident. I'm no longer "accident free". But everyone was OK.

Wolfsraider

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2002
I am glad to hear that everyone was ok :) And nice to see you!

The stitches came out today, she is very concerned what everyone will think, but today she was having fun and wearing moms sunglasses.

I am glad its behind us, but yes all of them are really nervous with mom driving lol and me, but not as bad as with mom.

I am trying to get a replacement vehicle, just an point a to point b lol

winr

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2001
Hi Mike.

I am glad no one was hurt worse.

I wish you and your family a speedy recovery on their injurys.

I also wish you smooth sailing from now on.:sun:

Regards.

Richard.

:)

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Ah fair enough ,I didn't know you were partially diasabled.
Good to hear you've lost weight ,now just stay away from those bad fast food places ,team orders ;) heheh
Whose Bengay btw?

Also good to hear everyone's well on the mend :)

Wolfsraider

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2002
Good to hear you've lost weight ,now just stay away from those bad fast food places ,team orders ;) heheh
Whose Bengay btw?

LOL Bengay, I love my new Job, The customers are great and I am back to cashiering again. I have been told I am going to be in the photo department soon. I cannot wait!

I am at 224 lbs still lol only 44 more lbs to Go!!!

The daughter with the stitches removed still has a black/swollen eye and isnt ready to go back to school yet. Its really bothering her about the scar, I told her this morning she had to go back to school tommorow, but then I saw how much it was affecting her and told her that its not such a big deal but soon she will need to go back.

I felt so wrong telling her to basicily take it like a man Sigh

Fullmetal Chocobo

Moderator<br>Distributed Computing
May 13, 2003
Originally posted by: Wolfsraider
Whose Bengay btw?

LOL Bengay, I love my new Job, The customers are great and I am back to cashiering again. I have been told I am going to be in the photo department soon. I cannot wait!

I am at 224 lbs still lol only 44 more lbs to Go!!!

The daughter with the stitches removed still has a black/swollen eye and isnt ready to go back to school yet. Its really bothering her about the scar, I told her this morning she had to go back to school tommorow, but then I saw how much it was affecting her and told her that its not such a big deal but soon she will need to go back.

I felt so wrong telling her to basicily take it like a man Sigh

I know how she feels. Because of my skin disorder, I get a lot of questions about various wounds that I regularly get, and I just tell them that I'm broken. Getting asked about it in the first place is bad enough (some people just have no tact), but I'm rarely inclined to tell the truth about it anyway, as they won't understand it. So if I had something like that on my eye, the conversation would go like "Wow, what happened to your eye?" "I broke it,." "You broke your eye?" "Yep.". Then they will look at me weird, but they'll stop pestering me. ;)

Hope it heals well.

Wolfsraider

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2002
iuts already about as healed as can be the scar but its red and prominent. I am hoping that after the last of the swelling goes down she will feel better. I hope so.