OT*** Xeon server for sale ***SOLD to a teammate***

Wolfsraider

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2002
These have been running since I bought them last year 24/7. I have them in a Cooler Master CM Stacker case (case now included) Everything is used and in good shape. Everything here is sold with a non doa guarentee.

2 xeon 2.8 nocona 64EMT and Hyper-Threading 1 mb L2 cache http://www.devx.com/Intel/Article/21717
2 Swifttech mcx604 heatsdinks http://www.swiftnets.com/products/mcx604-V.asp
1 gig of pqi turbo ram platinum heat spreaders
asus ncch-dl motherboard
antec true power eps12v 550 watt psu 24 pin
ati 8500dv bare card (using an x800 pro in it now)
lsi megaraid elite 1600 scsi raid card 1 channel as the other channel doesn't work. still does raid.
2 18gb scsi drives 15000 rpm
cm stacker case
looking for 600.00 shipped. I package very well and double box.

My heatware is http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=17119

Thank you.

I take paypal and money order
Shipped to lower 48 only please.

Pending

networkman

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Much as I'd like to I really can't - I've got too many rigs heating things up now. :(

Very nice components though - I've done some work with that motherboard - no issues that I can recall - very stable. :)

Wolfsraider

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2002
Thanks Rich,

I love the board and the cpus, my only problems came from the scsi drives, I bought 2 used and kept trying to get them operational together, even went and bought 2 more lol.

I had one dead on arrival (2nd set), one that was intermittent (first set) and I couldn't figure out which one it was.

It finally started the click of death and after swapping cables around it was obvious which one was bad. For the last year though it only clicked when it dropped the ball and only for a few seconds.

Since removing the drive from the array the system has been stable

Its nice to finally get the scsi drives operational in raid 0 despite all the benchmarks hoopla, it does feels much snappier.

On rosetta I was getting up to 1600 ppd when not gaming

Fullmetal Chocobo

Moderator<br>Distributed Computing
May 13, 2003
Originally posted by: GeoffS
lol... you bet! She'd probably revive me once just to kill me a second time! :p

hehehehe. Mine would be screaming "You didn't even let me upgrade my Opty 148 first!!!" Because that machine would be processor upgrades for mine. :D

Wolfsraider

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2002
whats a little wife anger among friends ;)

Its a great dc machine, 4 instances of your favorite project, all in one compact monstrosity of a case lol

Fullmetal Chocobo

May 13, 2003
Originally posted by: Wolfsraider
whats a little wife anger among friends ;)

Its a great dc machine, 4 instances of your favorite project, all in one compact monstrosity of a case lol

:( Tease. I know. I hate those heat sinks though. I had them for the longest time. Ooooh. I wonder if I could mount that mobo inside my existing case. It would be a true double wide then. Mwa ha ha ha ha...

Fullmetal Chocobo

May 13, 2003
lol :p

What did you hate about the heatsinks though?

Obviously this is just my point of view, and as per my installations, so YYMV. But I had little performance gain compared to stock cooling (on my Xeon 2.66's). The installation wasn't all that enjoyable either.

When I installed my Thermalright 9XV's, that's when I noticed a difference. Much better installation, better performance, not to mention lighter & sexier. hehehe. And they required less CFM on the fan to get them cooling as well. I didn't do any official testing or anything, but that is what it seems to me.

Wolfsraider

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2002
The install was a bit nervy, but I assumed that was because it was my first xeon build lol

I also bought new mounting hardware though as these were used when I got them.

I haven't seen the Thermalright 9XV's, thanks for the info. I'll check them out :p

Fullmetal Chocobo

May 13, 2003
The install was a bit nervy, but I assumed that was because it was my first xeon build lol

I also bought new mounting hardware though as these were used when I got them.

I haven't seen the Thermalright 9XV's, thanks for the info. I'll check them out :p

Beautiful, sexy HSF for the Xeons. Best price I found for them was at heatsinkfactory.com I believe.

Here's a link for ya.

Wolfsraider

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2002
why are your fans angled on those?

I can't see why they cool better if you had the fans mounted right?

mine are all cooper based iirc

Fullmetal Chocobo

May 13, 2003
The is one problem with fans on the Swiftech coolers. Fans normally create a bit of a dead spot wher the core of the fan is. If you have this directly attached to the HSF, I thought it might cause a problem. So I got those 45 degree angled mounts, and it elimanates dead spots completely. Once again, something I didn't have time to fully test, but it made sense to me.

Fardringle

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
I would love to take that system off your hands, and even have a use in mind for it, but my wife would be VERY displeased if I did, so I'm afraid I'll have to pass as well. :(

Fullmetal Chocobo

May 13, 2003
nice, did you hook them up to a fan controller?

Yes. Originally, they were on the big ThermalTake Hardcano 13 (POS, don't ever buy one), but then it was moved to the 6 channel Zalmans. Now they are on new fan controllers. (Waiting to install the third fan controller & hook up four more fans, then I'll update pics).

Here's previous pic.

Wolfsraider

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2002
LOL you like grand scaled things I see lol

I love that case

I have mine set top the controller on the mobo, set to max volume.