OT - Win2K Server Terminal Services

MoFunk

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2000
OK I am stuck. I have a Win2K Server that is running terminal services and have had NO issues for months, well today I go to log in and instead of the login box that I can put my user name and password in, I get the CNTL-ALT-DEL box. So I am dead in the water. Any other system that I have running terminal services works fine, it's just this one.

Any idea's?

Thanks!!!!

Zbox

Aug 29, 2003
Is it possible you're connecting to an old session that has been locked?

Try sending CTRL-ALT-END

ICXRa

Diamond Member
Jan 8, 2001
Originally posted by: Zbox
Is it possible you're connecting to an old session that has been locked?

Try sending CTRL-ALT-END

That is what I was going to suggest. Sounds like time for a reboot! I have one box that seems to do this every so often. You disconnect but your session hangs and if I am lucky I will notice this on the next login but generally I forget to check and finally end up getting the "maximum connections exceeded" message followed by disconnection.

MoFunk

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2000
I have rebooted. I did that command and it let me sign on, then it told me the system can't log me on, access denied, I hit ok and it drops. Hmmm...... Wierd. I made NO changes to this and it was working fine.

ICXRa

Diamond Member
Jan 8, 2001
Go into Terminal Services manager and make sure no hung sessions are running.....if they are left click on them and log them off. You will have to be in front of the box. Obviously you may have already tried this but I thought I'd post it anyway. This is exactly what that one box I mentioned does to me and usually I see about three logins active that really aren't!

networkman

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Yep, more than likely it's an issue with "Disconnected" sessions still taking up connections - I get this at work periodically too. Going into the Terminal Services Manager under Administrative Tools will let you kill those sessions. :)

MoFunk

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2000
Well it turned out that it was a service patch that was downloaded last week. I have 2 PC's that were having the exact same issue. Both were working fine until I tried to access them today. So I uninstalled the service patches that were installed on the 15th with one of them, and the problem went away! So this gives me more ammo to try and get a SUS server set up.