OT: VCR computer ***MORE NEW PICS***

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

kadajawi

Dec 29, 2000
not bad :) Now if you could build in a LCD where the old one was... :D

For those who want to try... maybe you can get hold of a amp case... they tend to be quite big, and they look quite stylish :) You can use the power button for... eh, power, and maybe the volume knob for volume, either over something like COM (hmm... anyone know how?) or by the thing used in earphones with volume control.

You could try using notebook components... notebook hdd, notebook cd/dvd/writer (prefered combo drive). Of course, a cd player would be quite good, as it should be possible to fit a drive in there without looking bad. If you find a way how to drive the display, you may use it too. Or replace it.

A riser would be good in case you need to use slim cases with tall cards... dunno how much they cost tho. But as it is usually meant for servers...
rolleye.gif

Confused

Elite Member
Nov 13, 2000
I'm getting a notebook from work soon (Dell something, maybe a nice Centrino ;)) so I may take apart my K6-2 380MHz laptop and work that into a spiffy case, if I can't get myself a nice nForce2 mATX motherboard with IGP etc ;)

Maybe something for my first or second pay packet!! The new car I'm thinking about maybe getting on finance can wait a couple of months ;)

Garry

deerslayer

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
I've been considering checking into LCD's to fit in there :) My friend also suggested taking apart a clock and putting that behind there so it looked like a VCR clock. I wish I had kept the display that was behind there before, he probably could have wired it up to do something!

BadThad

Lifer
Feb 22, 2000
Cool Mod! Just toss in a Leaktek Winfast TV Tuner in there now!! Then you can watch tv and record just like a VCR! :)

ProviaFan

Lifer
Mar 17, 2001
Originally posted by: badthad
Cool Mod! Just toss in a Leaktek Winfast TV Tuner in there now!! Then you can watch tv and record just like a VCR! :)
Uh huh, you think that can be done on an AMD K6-2 with a 1.2 GB hard drive? ;)

deerslayer

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
Originally posted by: jliechty
Originally posted by: badthad
Uh huh, you think that can be done on an AMD K6-2 with a 1.2 GB hard drive? ;)

I think the card would probably be too tall as well

Reel

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2001
Have you considered sealing up the video entry slot? I would hate to see a post on here from you that some kid wanted to watch their barney tape and jammed it in crunching whatever components you had behind the video slot.

deerslayer

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
Originally posted by: ReelC00L
Have you considered sealing up the video entry slot? I would hate to see a post on here from you that some kid wanted to watch their barney tape and jammed it in crunching whatever components you had behind the video slot.

Hadn't thought of that. Of course, there are very rarely any kids at my house, and the VCR is no where near the TV.

I may seal it up or I may try to fit some kind of optical drive behind there.