OT - the REALLY last of the "spineless" series?

DanC

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2000
edit: Updated Thursday

Thank you one and all for your kind support. I am very happy to announce that the excrutiating pain that was part of my life for the past 6 months while walking is GONE!

GONE GONE GONE GONE GONE!!!!!! Howard_Dean.voice.on YEAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH... Howard_Dean.voice.off

The incision is still pretty sore as I would expect, but it's starting to itch - which is a good sign. I just can't believe I can walk without pain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh man!

:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

edit: Update

Just arrived home from the hospital.

I evidently lived through it. Thank you all so very much for your kind well wishes, your prayers, and your friendship. It's really nice to have so many brothers.

I'm in quite a bit of pain, so I'll close for now, and post more later. The surgery was allegedly a complete success. I'll know more when the swelling goes down.

Well guys... it looks like I have to "bite the bullet."

Tomorrow afternoon, I go in for open back surgery to fix the ruptured disk.
Obviously I was hoping to avoid this, but it is now the countdown to getting it finally done and over with.

If any of my extended family here cares to offer up some words and thoughts that my surgeon's hand may be guided, I'd be most grateful. It's kinda scary I must admit. They of course, HAVE to tell you that it's possible that you could die during the surgery. That sure makes a person feel swell. I guess it's just standard warnings though.

For you "younguns" out there... please - TAKE CARE OF YOUR BACK! Don't do heavy lifting if you can avoid it, and if you must - do it right. The consequences of serious back injury are beyond anything I've ever experienced. I thought I knew what pain was about prior to this... not even close. It's gawd-awful. Whenever you're lifting -- if you imagine what it's like to have someone shove a red-hot icepick up to the hilt into your back and thigh. Not fun.

Anyway - if I post after tomorrow, it means I lived through it.

Wolfsraider

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2002
Dan, We wish you a speedy recovery.

I hope you get good looking nurses to "aid" in your recovery.

I hope your surgery goes well and that you are finally rid of the pain.

Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

Mike

RaySun2Be

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
If any of my extended family here cares to offer up some words and thoughts that my surgeon's hand may be guided, I'd be most grateful.

Will do DanC! Prayers and Positive Thoughts your way. I had a friend of mine go through back surgery some years ago, and afterwards, he was a new man. The hardest part of his recovery was NOT doing stuff, as the back pain was completely gone. His doctor even cleared him to eventually golf again. I hope you have the same results. No more back pain, complete recovery. :)

And I second DanCs advice to the youngins, and add to it. If you cannot lift it properly, get someone(s) to help. Don't be a tough guy, because you will pay for it later. I know, because I screwed up my back in college, and one of these years I can see myself having to get surgery too. You do NOT want to mess up your back. Trust us on this.

amdxborg

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2002
Dan my friend, my prayers are with you and the doctors. I pray all goes well and you're better after this then you've ever been. Just keep the faith, the Lord will be with you.

Plz let us know when you're out.. don't forget!

DanC

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2000
Thanks guys - I KNEW I could count on you!

I'll be flat on my back for 4 days afterward, but I'll definitely be online the first chance I get - even before I go to bed, to let you know it's all a-ok. :)

edit:

Oh... and I got a call from the hospital verifying my surgery time, etc... and I made sure to ask for the nurse-babes to take care of me! She assured me that they'd be total babes! ;) :thumbsup:

Zim Hosein

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Super Moderator
Nov 27, 1999

You'll be fine.

<-- Likes to think positive :)

Good luck DanC :beer:

Wolfsraider

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2002
Woot for Babe Nurses :p

I'll third that lifting safely is a must. There is no replacement for safety.

Oh yeah, Make sure they don't screw up and put you in the maternity ward or your libel to be messed up for life :Q

:p

Mike

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
Don't worry about the procedure Dan; you're a stubborn old fool, and I doubt someone could sucessfully kill you if they tried.:p Get well soon man.

OhioDude

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2001
Don't worry about the procedure Dan; you're a stubborn old fool, and I doubt someone could sucessfully kill you if they tried.
Yeah! You're too mean to die! ;):)

Seriously, best of luck tomorrow and my thoughts and prayers will be with you.

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
Originally posted by: DanC

... and I made sure to ask for the nurse-babes to take care of me! She assured me that they'd be total babes!
I look forward to tomorrows post... with pics ;) :)

Best of luck to ya Dan!!!

GLeeM

Elite Member
Apr 2, 2004
Get well soon!

Last I heard you were doing better so I took you off my prayer list :confused:

You are back on it now :)

zaph

Golden Member
Nov 13, 2001
A belated wish for good fortune with your surgery, my thoughts are with you, and heres hope towards easing the pain.

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Originally posted by: DanC
Thanks guys - I KNEW I could count on you!

I'll be flat on my back for 4 days afterward, but I'll definitely be online the first chance I get - even before I go to bed, to let you know it's all a-ok. :)

edit:

Oh... and I got a call from the hospital verifying my surgery time, etc... and I made sure to ask for the nurse-babes to take care of me! She assured me that they'd be total babes! ;) :thumbsup:

lol :D

Good luck Dan :)

DanC

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2000
Just arrived home from the hospital.

I evidently lived through it. Thank you all so very much for your kind well wishes, your prayers, and your friendship. It's really nice to have so many brothers. :)

I'm in quite a bit of pain, so I'll close for now, and post more later. The surgery was allegedly a complete success. I'll know more when the swelling goes down.

Wolfsraider

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2002
That is great news Dan :p

I hope you take it easy and get well soon :)

I'll drink one in your honor tonight.

Mike

DanC

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2000
I'll drink one in your honor tonight.

Thanks Mike :) :wine::beer:

Have two. This is a WHOLE new experience in pain. On the bright side - the percocet actually WORKS now! :)