OT: maybe????

TAandy

Diamond Member
Oct 24, 2002
ok,
son's laptop is just out of warranty.
went through all the 'f8' restore, repair crap. nothing!!

tried the 'destructive restore!

ran for a couple of mins, said 'can't read vista.wim"

no repair cd/dvd

the built in restore doesn't work!

i got a window's cd with my laptop.
entered the product key, WRONG!!
why????

TAandy

Diamond Member
Oct 24, 2002
sorry, but why should i pay about £35 for recovery media? even the damn 'hidden' partition, now isn't!!!

HELP, PLEASE!!!! SOMEBODY!!

Alyx

Golden Member
Apr 28, 2007
Many recovery CDs are made with specific laptop models in mind. When the CD is booting they will often check the hardware to see if it is correct and won't work if its not.

Another possible problem with your CDs is that the product key may be a different type, like using a XP pro key in XP Home, won't work.

Insidious

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 2001
That key is only going to work if you are doing a new install using that CD. The install that came on the PC is an image from tape. The key is embedded (and different).

-Sid

TAandy

Diamond Member
Oct 24, 2002
Originally posted by: Insidious
That key is only going to work if you are doing a new install using that CD. The install that came on the PC is an image from tape. The key is embedded (and different).

-Sid

problem is, he didn't get a cd/dvd.
the reinstall stuff was on the (now visible) recovery partition.
don't even get the option now when i press 'f8'

but, i'm a bit confused here, and i've checked this on my pc's, why the hell is the product key on the box different than what's on the OS????

ok, i can see all the files on the previously hidden partition, is there any way i can mount them and boot?
:)

TAandy

Diamond Member
Oct 24, 2002
when i installed from the cd i got, my lappy has vista premium btw, it did install as vista basic, which was on his, so no change there

Smoke

Distributed Computing Elite Member
Jan 3, 2001
Originally posted by: TAandy
ok, i can see all the files on the previously hidden partition, is there any way i can mount them and boot?

The laptop may be out of warranty but the company that made the computer may still offer you some assistance in recovering the OS. Give them a call and ask really nice. :p :)

Alternatively, you can visit the manufacturer's website and see if they have a SUPPORT section that may outline the method you need to follow.

Who made the laptop?

TAandy

Diamond Member
Oct 24, 2002
Originally posted by: Smoke
Originally posted by: TAandy

The laptop may be out of warranty but the company that made the computer may still offer you some assistance in recovering the OS. Give them a call and ask really nice. :p :)

Alternatively, you can visit the manufacturer's website and see if they have a SUPPORT section that may outline the method you need to follow.

Who made the laptop?

it's an EI SYSTEMS 3090 CELM420

Sorry for the late response, might just try and put XP on the damn thing :)

TAandy

Diamond Member
Oct 24, 2002
MY lappy, which works fine on battery, they were supposed to come get it and repair the power supply.
did they arrive>? ah heck off, they did not :(

Smoke

Distributed Computing Elite Member
Jan 3, 2001
I couldn't find any help for you. :(

Your best bet is to probably install XP as you said.