OT: Let the 99'rs sound off!

Wolfie

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
I wanted to be the first to mention this. Even tho it's not quite the anniversary date yet. So it's only been 7 years since Anandtech started the new website. But can anyone really believe that we have been doing this for this long? Who ever thought that RC5-64 would actually finish. Seti turn out to be something on Xfiles. OGR that thing that has something to do with measurements. Phantom Flushers, Old IRC fights with a few members, oh wait, maybe I shouldn't bring that back up, and I still think ViRGE is a Mod. :)

And not to mention all the friendships we all have made from these silly little computer programs. Thanks to you all for a wonderful experience and for all the good times and of course, some of the bad ones.

Wolf

Wiz

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
Even tho I didn't join Anandtech until Feb 2000 I was a lurker in 1999 ;)

Lurkers - why wait any longer, join up now! You will be glad you did!! :D:D:D

It's been a long road, I am blessed to have such friends as you on this TeAm!

I crunched seti@home (classic) from the start to the end, I've done a bit of folding and a bit of OGR, and now full time Rosetta & Dimes.

Looking forward to better days with this TeAm and better ways of crunching - like on GPU's.

Thanks to everyone here!

InlineFive

Diamond Member
Sep 20, 2003
If you remember Anandtech and the forums were actually started in 1997. :)

The event that occured in 1999 was The Big Crunch, where the forums were completely, unintentionally obliterated. So people signed up again. Hence the earliest users appearing as though they signed up in 1999.

RaySun2Be

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
One of the old geezers signing in. I joined Anandtech in 98.

I remember the old forums being very flaky, up and down, lots of issues. When they switched over to the new forums, we all had to re-up. While it took some of us awhile to get used to the new forums format, (we didn't like the smilies for one thing), they certainly have been a LOT more stable!! :D

One of the things that I remember when I first joined was Mr. Anandtech himself posting reivews, and 3am blogs about his personal life, him playing basketball, school, going to the movies with his friends and GF. Him buying his first BMW. :D

I started out on RC5 on my first home built PC, an ABIT BHS with Cely 300A, OCd to 450mhz :D in a modified Dell 486/66 tower, then OGR, then after the Dave McOwen incident, I switched over to SETI Classic.

I remember Lord_Demios setting up a private IRC room and UT server, and all the wasted hours I spent fragging and being fragged by fellow TeAm mates. :D

I remember some of the great classic races in RC5 between KingHam and I, and other races. MTRs, the race with DPC, races with other teams, occasiaonal UT Fragfests with other DC teams. :D

I remember several DC forum "explosions" causing 'mates to be banned or chosing to leave. :(

I remember all the great support, networking help, and Internet friendships that have been spawned by this DC forum.

I've had the pleasure of meeting a number of DC mates in real life. Networkman, Dave McOwen, BGod, and others, and have been the recipient of their generosity. :D

I remember holding a lan party or two, with the primary attendees Team Anandtech members :D

Cheers to all my past, present, and future Team Anandtech teammates, the best international, widely diverse, distributed computing team ever! :beer::thumbsup:
:D

Abel007

Platinum Member
Jun 12, 2001
I'm not a 99er but I'll chime in anyways. :) Hooray for Anandtech!

Wiz

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
geeze - my memory is so bad...

InlineFive, now that you mention it I do remember that!

Any way to tell when you originally signed up here?

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Originally posted by: InlineFive
If you remember Anandtech and the forums were actually started in 1997. :)

The event that occured in 1999 was The Big Crunch, where the forums were completely, unintentionally obliterated. So people signed up again. Hence the earliest users appearing as though they signed up in 1999.

I think he knows that ,that's why he said 'new website' ;)

But I didn't know the old forums got accidently wiped! ,I thought it was a migration.
I believe that happened about a month or so before I joined up.

I joined early in Nov '99 when the SETI team was still in its infancy with just a little over a 100 members!:Q ,it played 2nd fiddle to the then big RC5 team we had for about 2yrs or so ,I think (until the Dave McCowen inccident).

My 1st cruncher was a Cel 366@550 on a Soyo 6BA+III ,I still have the CPU in another mbrd ,was still being used until early this year.
The Soyo was in my sons rig until about a year ago (with a Cel T @1.3GHz:)) ,I sold that to a friend earlier this year too (still going AFAIK).

Can't believe its been nearly 7yrs already!:Q ,met lots of people here & a few in RL.
Darkone & The One are RL mates ,I met Polo in France 2yrs ago ,met Confused, Dannyboy & The Corm at a LAN party about 3-4yrs ago.I may have met a few more but I can't remember now :eek:
Of course I've met lots of people here too ;)

Oh yeah I used to run SETI classic (til the end of course:p;)) ,the long since deceased Gamma Flux :( ,(Im not sure what it even was about now ,was it testing new containment for nuclear waste?) ,a little RC5 64 ,Genome@home & now I run S@H2,DPAD & Dimes.

Who else remembers Gamma Flux?

Wiz
In your profile

Wiz

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
Weird, I started out here mainly in the For Sale forum.

My earliest heatware is January 1998 from kicken14 and i do remember that was a deal done here on Anandtech.

I know I was here b4 2000 - but I don't remember everything...

Positive kicken14 (45) Cross-trade 01-01-1998 [CLOSE]
Forum: AnandTech BBS
Description:
I traded whiz a n64 cart and mem card for a p 166 on mobo
Comments:
Great trader..the next anand elite :)
t'was a pleasure
A+

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
Really, it's closer to 8 years than 7. The Boss founded the RC5 team back on Christmas of 1998, so we're going to be 8 years old come then, and AnandTech itself will be 10 years old next year.

Certainly it's been a hell of a ride, but I think things have worked out well. Ups and downs and borg(oh my!), we've got a good little team of crack-addicts going. Plus we beat Slashdot and the Mac evangelists, that's what's most important.:p

Oh and Wolfie, I'm not a mod. You know my secret, it's much better than that.;)

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
I'm a late 99er. It was my first year in college, so I saw a lot more of the internet than I had before.

I think I'm the one who got DCypher to run Gamma Flux. I think the second DC thing I ran was the original Gamma Flux, a Java client that ran in a web browser. (The first was a prime finding program.) The third DC thing I ran, and the first for the TeAm, was DCypher, which I think did DES-56 or something at first. When Peter Jansson (who ran Gamma Flux) said he couldn't use his servers anymore, I pointed him to DCypher, and the rest is history! :D

Oh, and I'm *still* mad that my automatic script didn't inform me I won $100, and the offer expired. :|:|:|

networkman

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
I was lurking in '99 and joined up in 2k. :)

Edit: I would've joined up sooner but I was worried about the Y2K bug resetting accounts and databases and stuff. Then I had to wait a little to make sure it was all straightened out. ;) :p

Wolfie

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
ViRGE, I know your not a mod. I just had to throw that in.

I guess when I ment the 7 year thing, I was talking about the new forums. I know Anand has been around longer then that. I joined just before the revamping. I just thought I would mention that it's almost 7 years since the revamping and the forums that we all know today took shape.

It's always great to see some of us Old timers. And of course there is that Ray guy that says he's not "OLD"

/me ducks from the cane being swung in his general direction.

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
Careful, Wolfie! He's got a...

*SMACK*

...trout, too. ;)

Coquito

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2003
:music:99 botles of beer on the wall, 99 bottles of beer,
You take one down & pass it around,
98 bottles of beer on the wall...:music:

:D

InlineFive

Diamond Member
Sep 20, 2003
Originally posted by: dennilfloss
I was unbanned today. Time served and good behaviour. :)

Congrats! :beer: How long were you gone for? It must have been a while because I don't remember...