OT: Leaving to Pennsylvania for 2 weeks

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by AkumaX, Jun 23, 2001.

1. AkumaX

AkumaX Lifer

yeah! vacation time, and time to see my family n stuff. im about 70 miles west of Philadelphia. anyone know of anything to do around here? ( im going to Lancaster ). my relatives say its Amish Country...

2. RossGr

RossGr Diamond Member

You will not be to far from Gettyburg, visit the Battlefield.
    NYC is close also (compared to CA) try to take that in. Phily has some interesting sights as well, Lots of American history in the area. Enjoy yourself, hope you like humidity.

3. mrCide

mrCide Diamond Member

woo.. My uncle use to live in Lancaster.. I use to live in Allentown..

Check out King of Prussia mall.. It's nice, but I think it's in philly.

4. Praetor

Praetor Diamond Member

Hey, if you're going to be there, look up Emmalea Garver and tell her Tom said hi for me, will ya? :)

5. DarkManX

DarkManX Diamond Member

I live in philly a went to getysburg for a school trip a few months ago.

6. Siva

Siva Diamond Member

Lancaster is Amish country. Its all farms except for the giant outlet malls. Not much to do last time I was there.

7. lupohki

lupohki Golden Member

I live right next to King of Prussia mall .. nothing to get really excited about it. Try the Palisades mall in NY.

8. T2T III

T2T III Lifer

Why not head up to the Poconos Raceway? It shouldn't be more than a few hours away from where you're staying. I've heard that they have a Stock Car driving school there and the rate is about $175 for a day. Training plus actual racing at 130+ MPH.

9. cavingjan

cavingjan Golden Member

Unfortunately the Amish farmers have seemed to started growing other crops. They look a lot like houses now. Its a shame. :(
    I grew up in York (next county over). You can visit the Battlefield in Gettysburg. You could go down to Frederick county in MAryland and go to Catoctin NP.
    Or you could do what most people do in LAncaster: relax. Take a good book and read and enjoy what little peace and quiet ir left.

10. Frenchie

Frenchie Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member

Not a lot to do in the Lancaster area. Was just down there the other week for some training with the BBB. It's not far from the MD and DE border if you wanna go there. And, as was said, it isnt far from Philli or A-town. Plenty to do in those areas. Gettysburg is also a nice visit. Used to work for the FCC out there.

WHat kind of things are you looking to do?

11. benchiu

benchiu Platinum Member

Lancaster has a good amount of outlet shopping, and I think there is this little amusement park called Dorney Park or something like that. It might be fun if you like amusement parks, I think it is a decent size.

--Ben

12. casimec

casimec Senior member

Hershey Park is like 45 minutes from Lancaster

13. GoldenLion

GoldenLion Banned

Hershey park is nice- town smells like chocolate!

14. DarkManX

DarkManX Diamond Member

<< Lancaster has a good amount of outlet shopping, and I think there is this little amusement park called Dorney Park or something like that. It might be fun if you like amusement parks, I think it is a decent size.

--Ben
    >>

little park? i hope your being sarcastic

15. Deeko

Deeko Lifer

That's near where I live. The best volleyball team in the state's school is there, too.

16. Cyberian

Cyberian Diamond Member

Take a haf-day and see how The Amish live. It's a real eye-opener for technically oriented people.
    A time before cars congestion and computers.

17. AkumaX

AkumaX Lifer

ohhhhh yea.........

im in Florida now, tell me what to do in Florida?

i would have posted when i was in Lancaster, but all the computers over there had AOL :(

18. yobarman

yobarman Lifer

alright now.. I live around that area...couple miles from Lancaster. Gee whats there to do up there...NOTHING! Yeah let's look at Amish people..what fun. I dunno that whole area is just too historic for me. King Of Prussia mall is pretty nice, like someone mentioned, but I think it's pretty far from Lancaster. Dorney Park is a blast, but I dunno how far that is from Lancaster either. If you're really looking for a cool experience, goto center city philadelphia on the 4th of July, the fireworks(and the girls) are a trip.

19. Schlocemus

Schlocemus Golden Member

Come to Gladwyne :)

20. Barrak

Barrak Guest

Wow lots of PA people here, I live near Harrisburg. Things to do... Gettysburg is ok, Hershey park is good for a day or two, Philly is always fun. You could also take a drive to Baltimore and visit Inner Harbor, Great place! Hard Rock cafe, BIIIIG bookstore, Baltimore aquarium and bunch of other stuff. Lots of good golf courses in Lancaster area as well, if you golf.

21. amdskip

amdskip Lifer

Go through the mini chocolate hersey factory then u get some of the best tasting chocolate u will ever have:)

22. koolhand

koolhand Senior member

Hey, I'm a Hersheyian! :D Some days you can really tell that they're making Reeces peanut butter cup at the factory...or something nutty and peanutty and buttery... Aahh so nice and peaceful out here, don't think I can return to the big city... and fight traffic lots of greens and golf! :) :)

23. yos

yos Senior member

I work down the street from the KoP Mall. It's ok. Nothing tremendously spectacular. Lancaster is farm country. There are a bunch of cool outlet stores out there to shop. I know SOny has one out there. I am from a little outside Philly and I enjoy the city more than where I work (KoP). Have fun...
    GO COW TIPPING!

-Yos