OT (kinda) Wireless Networks

RaySun2Be

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Anyone around here have experience using the Linksys broadband router/wireless access point/4-port switch in combination with a Linksys USB wireless network card or a Linksys PCMCIA wireless network card?

The wife doesn't want me drilling holes or cutting drywall upstairs, and I'm looking into going wireless.

Just want to know if there are any serious issues or problems with the Linksys wireless hardware/software.

Thanks! :)

the (kinda) is because I have 2 PCs upstairs that I want to connect to the Internet (and my perproxy ;))

cakin

Golden Member
Feb 18, 2001
I didn't need blazing speed for my wireless links. So I went with Proxims Symphony USB Wireless at 1.5 Mb. I found them for $85 each.

I didn't put in a wireless hub. My machine has direcpc on it and my wife and son use the wireless to get to it.

However since nothing else is on the network my son and regularly play games against each other over it and it works just fine. We really enjoy racing games, like the Star Wars Pod Racer.

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
HomePNA 2.0 (10 Mbps phoneline networking) works very well, and coexists fine with both POTS and DSL. It's definitely a lot cheaper than wireless, albeit not quite as kewl. There's a lot on this over in the Networking Forum, and at Practically Networked

Windogg

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I picked up a nice 11mbps D-Link 802.11b Access point from Buy.com for $199. Then I got a bunch of Linksys PC card NICs for about $99 (PCI adapter $35 extra). Things are running great. I have a microNLX system behind the couch with a nice 18.1" screen on the coffee table. It's a great conversation piece since there is only a thin power cable and VGA cable. I can also take my laptop in the crapper. :)

Overall speeds are good and I can go about 30ft from the access point in a heavily insulated house and still get the full 11mbps. Only one minor quibble with MP3 streaming. Any sudden movements will cause the link quality to shift. That momentary shift is not noticible web browsing but can cause the music to give a small "Bzzz" sound. I've only had it happen when I quickly swing around though.

Security should be good with 40bit WEP and MAC controlled access. It runs on at 2.4Ghz but I have not yet noticed any interference from the cordless phone.

Windogg

tim0thy

Golden Member
Oct 23, 2000

<< music to give a small &quot;Bzzz&quot; sound. I've only had it happen when I quickly swing around though. >>

i won't twirl my girlfriend around while i'm using wireless access with my ipaq playing music then :)