OT: I haven't been a civlian for a long time...

Fullmetal Chocobo

Moderator<br>Distributed Computing
May 13, 2003
25may06 @ 0535
I'm suppose to talk to my chief this morning about my intentions regarding the early out program. I'm supposed to get out of the Navy in November of '07. I'm not sure the specifics, but basically if I run my request, I'll likely get out 6 months early, in June '07, but possibly sooner.

I haven't been a civilian for nearly 8 years, and haven't the slightest clue about how hard it is to get a job and stuff now. I'll be moving to where me and Liz could find a job (or best job, as the case may be), so geographical location isn't all that important.

So far as I see it, getting out early would give me a head start on something that is going to happen anyway, but it decreases the time that I can save money, as I'm just not going to be able to make what I'm making now when I get out.

25may06 @ 2034
Well, didn't get a chance to talk to Chief this morning, so I'm guessing it will be tomorrow morning. Yeah delaying the inevitable. :(

JWMiddleton

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2000
Hi FMC, I was in similar situation with 8 years in the Army. Six months before I was to get out I got orders to Shape HQ in Belgium. After a lot of thinking I decided to extend to complete a 2 year tour in Belgium with the idea I would save money and go to college on the GI bill. That was the best decission I ever made! I completed my time and got out with enough money to go to school full time and and have any loans to worry about when I graduated. (School was a lot cheaper when I went, but you get more money now.) Having a degree made a big difference in the job I could get.

I wish you luck as I know it is a hard decission. Of couse you have the option to say in the Navy and go to schoolat night with the idea you can start a new career at 40.

Fullmetal Chocobo

May 13, 2003
Well, I've been debating about posting this or not. Because I hate doing blog entries on the forums, much less in DC. But I would like to see what ya'lls outlook on employment is in the civilian world right now. Because I keep hearing a lot of horror stories, so I'd like some first hand information, if ya'll don't mind.

Coquito

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2003
Slacker checking in. You need a degree for everything these days. I couldn't even get a job as a mail clerk because some college kid with no experience was thrown in their lap & they had to comply with daddy's orders.

Hurricane Andrew

Golden Member
Nov 28, 2004
Actually, in many places the job market is very tight. My company's biggest problem is finding qualified people to fill spots. If you don't mind moving to where the jobs are, you shouldn't have too many problems. Technically, the economy is above full employment, and if you have marketable skills, you'll be set.

JonB

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999
www.granburychristmaslights.com
While I meet the 8 year military service part, I've been with the same company for almost 21 years now. I took 2 months early out (on Halloween!) to go for a job interview in Texas. Got offered the job, took it, and haven't seriously looked elsewhere. You didn't say what your training has been and how technical. That could count for a lot since quite a bit of my Navy schooling transferred direct to college credit.

Looking at Ingleside, Texas in Google Earth, I see quite a few Navy ships docked, so I'd be curious to know what rating and rank you have to give any kind of answer.

Wolfsraider

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2002
Originally posted by: Fullmetal Chocobo
Well, I've been debating about posting this or not. Because I hate doing blog entries on the forums, much less in DC. But I would like to see what ya'lls outlook on employment is in the civilian world right now. Because I keep hearing a lot of horror stories, so I'd like some first hand information, if ya'll don't mind.

LOL quit talking to me :p

Take 5 years off and you will see horror stories. Its not the same for women though.

I could send you a copy of what they expect out here, but you won't have the problems I am having, most employers will hire a service person sight unseen, they are loyal, on time, with a proven track record. They get respect because they are always required to be on the job.

Not to mention that they are more focused, cleaner (shave and haircut regime) and generally less apt to cause problems and are drug free.

I was treated like a king during interviews after I got out.

If it wasn't for the spotty record I have it would be easy for me to get a job, but most want references that know me and know my down times weren't

1. Jail time
2. hospitalization
3. Drug related
etc...

The latest wants 8 refrences that have knwn me over 8 years and want their statements notorized. Its a security job, 10 year background check, and a job I know I can handle with my back.

No offense but women can take time off for babies etc and are not penalized for it in most cases.

BofRA

Platinum Member
Apr 26, 2002
FMC What rate are you? That has a lot to do with what is available out there. For some rates, like mine(Nuke MM Chief), I can go just about anywhere I want and start at 50k+. That being said, do what you can to get a degree now. Take some time to work on classes while they are free. Even if it is a "gimmee" degree from Coast Line Community College or Central Texas College College. If you get that at least its a degree and then you can get a masters in Management or what ever field you are going into.

I wont try and talk you into staying. Mainly because I have a hard time talking my guys into staying. But I will say this, dont burn any bridges. I have seen too many guys that "want" to get out and then realize that the job market isnt there or they need the "security" of the Navy job and decide to reenlist. The only problem is they didnt continue to work towards advancement and pissed off their whole chain of command by being a slacker. So just keep working like you are staying in. You never know what may come up.

MMC(SW/AW) Bryan Carver

Fullmetal Chocobo

May 13, 2003
Originally posted by: BofRA
FMC What rate are you? That has a lot to do with what is available out there. For some rates, like mine(Nuke MM Chief), I can go just about anywhere I want and start at 50k+. That being said, do what you can to get a degree now. Take some time to work on classes while they are free. Even if it is a "gimmee" degree from Coast Line Community College or Central Texas College College. If you get that at least its a degree and then you can get a masters in Management or what ever field you are going into.

I wont try and talk you into staying. Mainly because I have a hard time talking my guys into staying. But I will say this, dont burn any bridges. I have seen too many guys that "want" to get out and then realize that the job market isnt there or they need the "security" of the Navy job and decide to reenlist. The only problem is they didnt continue to work towards advancement and pissed off their whole chain of command by being a slacker. So just keep working like you are staying in. You never know what may come up.

MMC(SW/AW) Bryan Carver

I never quit trying. And I've yet to do anything but get screwed for it. Looks like they are kicking me out in a month. 3 PRT failures, despite medical reasons for failing. I'm out next month it seems.

Anyone want to help with resumes? Holy sh!t. This was unexpected. I'm getting a resume done right now, as best I can. Going through, getting ready to start packing, and figuring out what I can sell if I need to....

IC1 (SW) Sander