OT: I am back from a succesful trip to sea

BofRA

Platinum Member
Apr 26, 2002
Hey all. Just to let you know that I am back from sea onboard the US's newest Aircraft carrier. It was the first time the ship went to sea. Amazingly nothing major broke. Well here is a link to a few pictures of the ship at sea. They are under photographs.

USS Ronald Reagan CVN-76

Ok off to catch up on the threads.

tontod

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Did the construction just get completed? Did you come back from Sea Trials? Do you work for Newport News Shipbuilding?

Zim Hosein

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Super Moderator
Nov 27, 1999
She's a beauty ReaganCRW, wish I was there w/ you :)

RaySun2Be

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
:cool: and welcome back! :)

My dad was stationed on an aircraft carrier, back around the Korean war era. We have a great 8mm movie of planes landing and taking off. I need to find it next time I'm at my moms, and convert it to video format.

As a kid, I used to love running that film backwards. There was something about it that just had me rolling on the floor! :)

winr

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2001
Welcome back Bryan.
Thanks for the pics.
I love ships.

:)

BofRA

Platinum Member
Apr 26, 2002
Thanks for the warm Welcome back. For those that wanted to know I am a nuclear trained Machinist Mate stationed on board the ship. Right now the ship is in the final stages of construction at Newport News Shipbuilding in Hampton Roads, VA. We are scheduled to be Commisioned on July 12th. So far no plans to go overseas, but with the world the way it is you never know.

Insidious

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 2001
Awsome!

How in the world did ReganCRW managed to get stationed on the Regan? (That's scarey man..... j/k)

Can't say I wish I was there (Still washing Salt Water out of my..... from many moons ago) However, If yer gonna be haze grey and underway,
why not do it on an Island. :D

-Sid

(glad all was well for RR and her crew)

Wiz

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
Very cool, and Welcome Back!!!

I scored very high on some tests in HS and the Navy came fter me wanting me to be a Nuke - they were practically begging...
I gotta say it was tempting ;)
Sometimes I wonder how life would have turned out had I gone that way.
I'll bet my kids are happy I went the other route ;)

JonB

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999
www.granburychristmaslights.com
I have PM'd with ReaganCRW and Insidious before about our common nuclear navy background (Insidious and I were on the same ship at the same time in the same department doing the same function). I had both my children while in the Navy (one cost me about $11.50 and the other about $14.00). Wouldn't trade the training and experience for much of anything, but it wasn't destined to be a career for me. Any of you younger guys who want top-notch schooling, the Navy nuke field is pretty good. As a long term life-style, it certainly isn't for everyone. (right, Insidious????) :)

Insidious

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 2001
(right, Insidious????)

"I was a nuke" is a fantastic thing to be able to say..... It flows from my lips much easier than "I am a nuke" did. :beer:

-Sid

(But I did like Olongapo!)

cakin

Golden Member
Feb 18, 2001
Congrats ReaganCRW!

JonB - why did it cost so much? My parents only paid $7.50 for me at Bergstrom AFB (in 54).

JonB

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999
www.granburychristmaslights.com
Well, Cakin, your parents got a deal at $7.50 in 1954 (which, by the way, makes you a little younger than me).

I had to pay for two meals (lunch and dinner).
Back in '54, your mom probably stayed in the hospital for 2 or 3 days and had many meals for that $7.50.
In '82 and '85, it was "outpatient" status for pregnancies. In and out. Hurry up.
Pretty good facilities, though.

UltraQuiet

Banned
Sep 22, 2001
Originally posted by: Insidious
(right, Insidious????)

"I was a nuke" is a fantastic thing to be able to say..... It flows from my lips much easier than "I am a nuke" did. :beer:

-Sid

(But I did like Olongapo!)

Nuke is a half of a word and once you are a nuke you will always be a nuke. God help you. ;)

Insidious

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 2001

Nuke is a half of a word and once you are a nuke you will always be a nuke. God help you.

The symptoms can be mitigated with large amounts of alcohol, but alas..... a cure is yet to be found :Q