OT: Future of PC games and video cards

coder1

Jul 29, 2000
I keep hearing that there are less and less pc games coming out do to console gaming. Anyone here any info on this. I would hate for this to be true. I just can't stand consoles. Can anyone here shed any light on this topic.

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
It will be so easy to do a port from XBox-PC, and vise versa. Basically, anything that comes out for XBox, will probably come out for the PC too.

Raspewtin

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 1999

<< Basically, anything that comes out for XBox, will probably come out for the PC too. >>

The Xbox will be more powerful graphically then most computers when it is released right? So I don't see this happening initially.

Imaginer

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
Yeah but when X-box to PC happens, we can expect ourselves to shell out not for a processor but for a graphics card from NVidia. :(

Imaginer

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
Oh and price wise, the console is cheaper than the PC can ever be compared to each other for just gaming use. But I bet that the games on the PC and consoles are matching graphically but software wise, there needs to be more console like games for the PC.

Probably the consoles will live on because of their price. PCs will too because of functionality.

Hardware wise, I would expect video card advancement to be more important in the gaming world for the PC. But it would be a slow advancement until ATi can develop something. Just my thoughts.

fs5

Lifer
Jun 10, 2000
it's actually always been like this, console gaming has a larger share of the video game industry and will continue to grow.

Feb 29, 2000
The next big thing will probably be Virtual Reality (after the failed launch in the early 1990's), and if the PC's allow you to interact smoothly, this would leave game consoles in the dust. Because PS's can do much more than gaming, and VR environment could be implemented in more applications.

You already have excellent computer surround sound, all that's needed is a corresponding good video and then... lift-off!