OT anyone care to test a program for me???

danzigrules

Golden Member
Apr 20, 2000
I am currently working on a dell optiplex gx110, that was built for a McDonalds store. It has a program that teaches how much food to cook and such.

What I need is some people that can test a 6 gig program for me. These pc's keep freezing up, and I am wondering if it the McD's program.

I am running rc5 on the dell's, and they froze once, but haven't done so again. I need to be able to point the "BOSS" to the offending program. So that he can possibly get his 1500 per pc back from McD's corporation.

BTW he is a owner/operator, not that he is hurting for money, but 4500+ for something that doesn't work would piss any of us off;)

The only way that I know how to transfer a file this big is on icq. So if anyone can test this for me I/We would be gratefull

<edit> plus these are pIII 733's and they are only crunching 1.88 Mkeys a sec, while my c2 600@747 is doing 2.04 :confused:

THX
Chris

danzigrules

Golden Member
Apr 20, 2000
98 SE

Here's how it's set up: turn on the pc, boots windows, then automatically goes to the mcd's program, thx to start up, that way no one can get into windows, since everything is locked up but the mouse.

I have set the hdd to turn off never, and standby to never, monitor off @ 15 minutes

toph99

Diamond Member
Aug 25, 2000
6gig's?! well if i had any hdd space left i'd try it, but unfortunatly i have about all of 700mb available :(

Wellcky

Golden Member
Jun 1, 2000
Hey I'll help! I use to work for the McDonalds here! plus is just added a 40gig HD!!

Im Running a P3 850 with Win98se 128RAM bla bla bla... also with Cable for net service!
just email me to se it up or post here!

My Mail Box.

danzigrules

Golden Member
Apr 20, 2000
will @home let me send a file that big?

Oh well will try.

Sorry about the delay, was at work this morning.

Poof

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2000
danzigrules.... LOL

They'll let you send something like that but even via a cable modem (I'm on @home and have gotten about 1.6Mb/s at times as my fastest), that sucker will take a long a$$ time to go...

I'd estimate based on some avg. times I've gotten - @ ~3 min/25Mb file x 4 = ~10 min for 100Mb worth x 10 = ~1.5 hrs for 1Gb worth x 6 = UGH!

Try 10 hours on a fast cable modem?

:(

danzigrules

Golden Member
Apr 20, 2000
well maybe. won't let me attach it. Will keep trying

OMG:Q just saw what Poof said.

Maybe I had better wait till Wellcky sees that

Poof

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2000
Yeah... don't know if you guys want to try that. It might be do-able if you had a full T1 or better, a full T3 (that basically runs at &quot;LAN speed&quot;, ie., ~10Mb/s). With a T3 connection at both ends (if I'm doing my math correctly), you could maybe transfer that in around an hour... give or take... ;)

danzigrules

Golden Member
Apr 20, 2000
Well, Poof, just slap me ;) stupid ole me was talking about the size of the mcdonalds program, not the .exe It's only 5 meg.

now I have a differnt problem. the file is to big for my mail server. what is a good setting to break up the message?

Thx

danzigrules

Golden Member
Apr 20, 2000
well now I have mailed it to myself, and it don't work. It looks for a file called main.dir, and I can't find it on the pc that has the mcdonalds program on it. Oh well

Poof

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2000
danzigrules - I don't think you'll be able to break that file up and mail it...

But since you're on @home, you could setup your web space and see if you can temporarily upload it there for someone to grab via http. I know that different @home's allow different amounts of webspace and that 5Mb might be your limit (you'd need to check)... If you had NT, 2K, or linux, you could setup a quicky FTP service on it, put it on the net temporarily, and then anyone could grab the file...

Otherwise, I think wellcky has FTP setup somewhere and you could maybe FTP it to him...

[EDIT: Just saw your message - yeah... I was afraid of that... there's probably a bunch of files it needs and/or the install program probably creates directories with certain files that it'll be looking for if you try to run it... :(]