OT: Another earthquake off Indonesia

BlackMountainCow

Diamond Member
May 28, 2003
Is a tsunami already confirmed or are they just fear that one is on the way? Man, I sure hope they don't get hit twice by these monsters!

ecvs85

Mar 4, 2005
I'm 535kms off the quake source and I saw my computer's monitor swinging slightly o_O, it lasted for 90 seconds at my place.

networkman

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
This is of some interest to me from a scientific point of view: the hobby I'm slowly developing for myself is currently working with VLF in the 40kHz range. Basically, the data being recorded now is looking at things like rocket launches, lightning, meteorites and the like in the atmosphere.

But there are apparently some theories that large seismic events *may* actually cause disturbances in the geo-magnetic spectrun, and thus may be detectable by radio-astronomers, though in a much much lower frequency spectrum. From the limited amount I understand, most of the "evidence" for the above is anecdotal at best, but there are various groups looking in to the possibility of being able to record such disturbances, with the possibility being that *maybe* such disturbances would also precede the actual earthquake event and thus give us some kind of warning.

Again, I'm a real n00b in this new hobby, but I'm looking forward to attending the S.A.R.A conference in Green Bank, WV this summer, so hopefully I'll have gotten a bit more educated by then. This is really nifty stuff! :D

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: networkman
This is of some interest to me from a scientific point of view: the hobby I'm slowly developing for myself is currently working with VLF in the 40kHz range. Basically, the data being recorded now is looking at things like rocket launches, lightning, meteorites and the like in the atmosphere.

But there are apparently some theories that large seismic events *may* actually cause disturbances in the geo-magnetic spectrun, and thus may be detectable by radio-astronomers, though in a much much lower frequency spectrum. From the limited amount I understand, most of the "evidence" for the above is anecdotal at best, but there are various groups looking in to the possibility of being able to record such disturbances, with the possibility being that *maybe* such disturbances would also precede the actual earthquake event and thus give us some kind of warning.

Again, I'm a real n00b in this new hobby, but I'm looking forward to attending the S.A.R.A conference in Green Bank, WV this summer, so hopefully I'll have gotten a bit more educated by then. This is really nifty stuff! :D

:cool: :thumbsup: If we can figure out how dogs and other animals can detect an Earthquake up to 6 hrs before one hits, we'll be in good shape.

I miss Pepper, Sheltie my ex-wife has.

He detected a 5.4 temblor that hit about 50 miles west of us in Payne Alabama.

It was in the local paper.

Sheltie Pepper predicts Alabama Earthquake

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
:cool: :thumbsup: If we can figure out how dogs and other animals can detect an Earthquake up to 6 hrs before one hits, we'll be in good shape.
Got that right.

Just heard tonight on the local news that this latest quake only took 20 minutes to reach Edinboro PA seismographs :Q